New cat, won't come out of his hiding corner! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-26-2004, 08:45 AM

We just got a new cat from the shelter, about an hour and a half ago.

So we brought him in (He's about 7months) and put him in the kitchen and stayed quiet, to let him adjust.

He went underneath a small stool and hasn't come out since! We've left food beside him but he still won't come out....

I know this is because he's nervous and frightened, but should we carry on in the kitchen, cooking, talking, closing cupboard doors etc so that he adjusts or should we be as quiet as possible?

Also, does him hiding under there and STILL not coming out seem normal?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Banned

I would carry on as usual. That way, the cat will see you communicate with other members of the family and know that you are trustworthy, or at least get used to your voice.
#3 Old 06-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

My cat wouldn't come out of hiding for about a month after I got him. He'd come out to eat and use the litter while everyone was sleeping and that's it. He finally came out to hunt a moth that was flying around the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

You can get a pheremone plug in that would help him feel more at ease quicker, but he'll probably come around soon enough on his own.
#5 Old 06-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

my cat didn't come out from under the couch for a week after we got her. now she craves attention so much she won't leave us alone. just give it time, i'm sure everything will be fine.

julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#6 Old 06-26-2004, 10:43 AM

Thanks all!

He just came out and is sniffing about the kitchen wohoo
#7 Old 06-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Super-super common. It's sad that more people don't give them a chance before changing their minds and taking the cat back... *sigh*
#8 Old 06-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

You could try keeping him in a smaller space for a few days. How about a bedroom or den or even a large bathroom? Cats do like confined spaces when they are scared. It makes them feel safer and they know where they can eat drink and poop without feeling overwhelmed. This way he can get used to you and all the sounds and smells and feel fairly safe. (Could also prevent spraying)

Right now he does not acknowledge this as his territory. He's been at the shelter for days, weeks or longer most likely locked in a cage. He may have even been abused by a previous owner.

Weather or not you feel comfortable locking him up I think it is really important to give him a safe area. The best suggestion I have would be to place the carrier and blanket you used when you brought him home in a quiet less traveled area. Put his litter box and food close by also in a private area. Just don't put the food and litter box too close to each other. Also he should be isolated from other animals and children while he is adjusting.

Hope that helps

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#9 Old 06-27-2004, 01:40 AM

"I know this is because he's nervous and frightened"

Glad to see your kitten has come out. Kittens are some of the cutest animals around and I'm glad to see you've got one from the animal shelter

Did you name him/her yet and if so what did you name it? What color is it? Anyways congratulations again and I hope he/she makes a long time wonderful pet
#10 Old 06-27-2004, 06:43 AM

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmarkerax View Post

Did you name him/her yet and if so what did you name it? What color is it? Anyways congratulations again and I hope he/she makes a long time wonderful pet

Well I wanted to call him Bagheera (He's long and thin - like a panther) or Pipyn, but of course my moany little brother didn't like that, so we all agreed on Jake. (Which i find a little boring) So I told them i'd called him bagheera as a nickname!

He's black with bits of white around his chest, paws and face I'll get pics up here soon!!
#11 Old 06-27-2004, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmuncher View Post

Thanks everyone

Well I wanted to call him Bagheera (He's long and thin - like a panther) or Pipyn, but of course my moany little brother didn't like that, so we all agreed on Jake. (Which i find a little boring) So I told them i'd called him bagheera as a nickname!

He's black with bits of white around his chest, paws and face I'll get pics up here soon!!

He sounds beautiful. I think Jake is a good name. When I got my cat (Harley), I wanted to name him Ed, but everyone in my family insisted a cat had to have at least a duo-syllable name. That's a dumb rule, if you ask me!
#12 Old 06-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

When I moved with my cat, who i'd had for a year and did know me and my family and had visited the house before, he hid under my bed for at least a week. I just carried on life as usual, and he eventually settled in. I'd just leave him be.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 06-27-2004, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qetta View Post

When I got my cat (Harley), I wanted to name him Ed, but everyone in my family insisted a cat had to have at least a duo-syllable name. That's a dumb rule, if you ask me!

Hehe well I read somewhere that apparently they are meant to have one or two syllable names, to help them learn it, and no longer than 2 syllables.......

#14 Old 06-27-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Hehe well I read somewhere that apparently they are meant to have one or two syllable names, to help them learn it, and no longer than 2 syllables.......

I think you're thinking of dogs. I've heard that about dogs, but not about kitties. My baby responds equally to Joli, Itsy Bitsy Baby Love, and Buttmunch. She does seem smarter than the average cat, though.
#15 Old 06-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We went with that for our first set of cats, Max, Cleo and Pepper.

With the new ones, I named 'em Monchichi and Atticus. Both 3 syllable names. Monchichi does go by Munchie a lot of the time, and answers to both, as well as Munch, Mon-Chi-Chi-Kit-Ten, and Stink. Atticus you can't really shorten. I just hollar "ATTICUS!!!" (sort of like "atti" fast and then "cuuuuusss") and he generally responds.

ETA: Munchie also answers to "bug"

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 06-27-2004, 10:47 PM

Congratulations on the new baby!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page