Cat over grooming post-surgery? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Cat over grooming post-surgery?

The little stray cat (I named her Echo) that adopted us six months ago has not had a good couple of months. First she was attacked by something overnight and I found her cowering in a box with a swollen leg; then just before Christmas she was hit by a car. Her back leg was shattered and pelvis fractured, and her leg was amputated. Her tail was also damaged and went floppy, and she began to chew on it... it got infected and that was amputated last week.

Amazingly, she's doing great - she is a tough little cookie! But over the last few days she has been constantly grooming but not going for the stitches - she's licking the fur off from around the shaved patches until she's soaking wet. The vet said not to worry yet and to use the buster collar whenever I'm not with her, which I am doing, but I can't help but worry a bit! Is this normal for cats after surgery? She purrs whenever I touch her, climbs into my lap for cuddles and eats everything I offer her, so she appears content with her lot. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to help her?

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Lovable misanthrope

My cat has also been in a car accident and had his leg removed, however he specifically pulled the stitches. He also used to get panic attacks when he'd suddenly start running backwards. He did go through a stage of over grooming until his fur would come off and his tummy was bald. He was investigated for lots of different things including allergies and in the end it turned out he had fleas! I never even saw him scratch, only constantly groom. Once he was flea free the fur eventually grew back
#3 Old 01-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Vegan as f**k

It's awesome that you rescued this little cat

I think cats can get a bit neurotic if traumatised (like people I guess), so the behaviour she is exhibiting is quite understandable...Give her some time and see how she goes...If she is still not herself in a couple of weeks you could phone the vet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks guys

We are just back from a trip to the vets again to get her stitches checked and I showed the nurse where she is losing fur. After consulting the vet they think she is grooming that spot because her fractured pelvis is still healing and she is trying to soothe the pain. I have to use the collar a bit more unless I am right with her too, which she's going to hate! Poor little thing.

Go Vegan, she's a little mystery - we live along a quiet lane with a few farms and several cottages. When I first started seeing her along the hedges she was scared of everything and would run away, and over 3-4 months I could see she was getting skinnier. No-one knew where she had come from so I started putting food out, and gradually she allowed me to sit near her as she ate. One night after food she climbed on my lap, purring, then a few days later she followed me up the garden path and came inside. From then on she lived with us! We got her checked out at the vet, scanned for a microchip (nothing) and put up 'found' notices but no-one claimed her. She isn't a feral farm cat but a seal-pointed fluffy thing - from googling pictures I's say she was a Birman. I'm just so glad we insured her too!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#5 Old 01-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Vegan as f**k

Glad to hear she is doing well

And I'm so glad she is happy now
#6 Old 01-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachFuzz View Post
Sounds like that little furball has spent up about 7 lives already....and you've spent entirely too much money on dam cat.....GAWD dam
If the cat needs medical attention it can't not have it...

In UK the PDSA will pay vet bills if the "owners" are below a certain income...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page