We'll be adopting (!) and a question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2004, 04:46 AM

I'm so excited, I had to share. Our son will be moving out of his apartment and into a dorm when he starts Law School in September and asked if we could adopt Lyla, his beautiful cat. She is really sweet -- we had a chance to get to know her a bit when we visited Peter in California a couple of months ago. I really wanted to get a kitty and my husband was receptive, though we had some disagreements over my insistance that she be indoors only.

Well, Lyla has been an indoor cat since Peter adopted her from the shelter, is scared of going out and does just fine -- so we are agreed! I couldn't be happier! My son will fly home and bring Lyla back in late June because he is planning a cross-country trip of several weeks with his sister when he actually moves out of his apartment in L.A. Can't believe that will be next month!

It's also great that things are working out fine as far as our house. We were unsure about a cat since we started trying to sell our home and didn't know if we'd have to look for a rental when we first move out. Well the house sold in one week and we already found a great old house and made an offer on it! So no worries there. :-)

My question, for you experts out there, is whether it would be a good or a bad idea to consider also adopting a new kitten to be a playmate for Lyla (she'll be a little over 1 year old by then I think) and so that when Peter goes into an apartment and, I assume, takes Lyla back, we will still have a sweet companion. Of course, we could wait until that time to adopt. Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

It all depends on whether or not that cat likes the company of other cats. Many cats would rather have the place to theirselves, but will learn to tolerate other cats. Others enjoy having a playmate. //shrug
#3 Old 05-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Aye, it's going to depend on the personality of *both* cats, whether or not they'll get along.

I'm also thinking about the eventuality of your new cat getting separated from Lyla when your son takes her back. We had roommates with a cat that Joe (our oldest male cat, who loves *everyone*) really got attached to, and when they moved away he was definitely depressed afterwards - that was part of the reason we adopted a pair of kittens right afterwards. We figured 2 kittens would keep eachother occupied enough that they wouldn't pester Joe, but Joe could still butt in and make friends. It worked really well and those three are the best bonded out of our feline family of 5.

So perhaps instead of adopting 1 new cat, get a pair of kittens. That leaves Lyla sort of an option to play with them or not - if she does, great, if not, they can occupy eachother. And when Lyla goes away, they will still have eachother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

How exciting for you!!!

I have a couple of reservations with regards to getting a playmate for Lyla. Firstly, she's been an only cat until now, and may not tolerate a second cat. As kpickell said though, she may well enjoy it (I've personally never had any problems with introducing cats), and that actually leads to my second concern.... how would Lyla/her playmate feel about being separated once Peter has returned from school?

One of my cats got locked overnight in someone else's house recently, and my second cat was quite distressed when he couldn't find his friend (although normally they spend more time fighting than loving!).

My own personal feeling would be to hold off on getting a companion for Lyla - if you really feel she'd benefit from a friend then I think it would be better to wait either until she goes back to Peter, or until you know that you will be keeping her for good. If she does go back to her 'dad', that will be a good time for you to get a new friend (or two!) for yourselves.

Hope this makes sense!

And make sure we see pics of the young lady when she arrives!
#5 Old 05-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know much about cats but I think it would be nice to adopt a companion for her. She's very young yet. It will take a while to adjust. If I understand correctly the new one ought to be the opposite sex.

I like the kitten idea too!
#6 Old 05-05-2004, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. That was definitely a good point about the potential problems in separating the two kitty friends (providing they do become buddies :-) when Peter takes Lyla back. My thinking for now is, considering the fact that she's been alone in his apartment all day and doing O.K., perhaps I'll hold off on adopting a kitten playmate until after Lyla returns to her "Dad".

Of course, as a dutiful "Grandma" (only of the kitty right now, thank you!) I'll certainly feel free to spoil our little sweetheart with some toys for when she's alone and others we can play with together in the mornings, nights and on the weekends.

Lyla is really a cutie, kind of on the small side with very soft, longish calico brown fur and an amazingly fluffy tail. She especially loves to play with a toy that's basically a sort of feather attached to the end of a rope on a stick (like a fishing pole). When you get tired of flinging it about and set it down, she will often go "fetch it", bringing it back for more fun. :-)
#7 Old 05-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd avoid bonding two animals only to later separate them. They'll recover and get along fine, but it can be distressing. Cats do okay solo, but I know we're thinking about adopting another cat in hopes they'll get along, so it's not unheard of. They do play with each other in some cases, and it's kind of fun to watch, and it's good to know they keep each other stimulated when you're off at work or whatever. It's a bit of a crapshoot, though.
#8 Old 05-06-2004, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

I'd avoid bonding two animals only to later separate them. They'll recover and get along fine, but it can be distressing.

I do it quite frequently. It's the one really hard thing about fostering animals. I've had one foster dog for over a year, and of course my own dog has gotten quite attached to her. I've had the other dog (in my avatar atm) for 5 months, and my dog really loves him! I've had my foster cats for 6 months now I think, and my cat has gotten to liking them as well (though they are kept seperate from one another). When one of my foster dogs gets adopted my own dog goes into a period of depression where it sure seems like he's wondering where his buddy went.
#9 Old 05-06-2004, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

When one of my foster dogs gets adopted my own dog goes into a period of depression where it sure seems like he's wondering where his buddy went.

Poor baby, that must be hard to watch. I think it's justifiable and understandable in your case though - it's sad to have to separate them, but ultimately everything you're doing is for the greater good of the foster animal.

In most cases though I don't see the point in risking letting animals bond just to separate them, when it's not necessary.
#10 Old 05-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, that would break my heart, going through that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page