• 1 Post By lavender phase
  • 1 Post By Jasminedesi16

#1 Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Cat people are smarter than dog people, study shows

Let the companion animal wars begin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5412245.html
Spudulika likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Figures I would love both I have cats and a dog

Animals should be loved not eaten !
#3 Old 05-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I find the association of personalities to not be right at all. I'm a dog lover, but I have the personality (said in the article) of a cat lover. I also know quite a few extroverts who prefer cats over dogs.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

And yet dogs are smarter than cats...

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Huh. Even though I've never been responsible for a dog's care, I'd say I am equally fond of cats and dogs. The reasons I chose to adopt cats instead were:

1) I thought more cats than dogs were dying in shelters before they were adopted. I think this was true for my locality, but I might be wrong- and in other areas, it's definitely not true.

2) I don't own a car, and the only dogs allowed on public transportation in my area are service animals- unless they can fit in a carrier- and again, I would probably have adopted a larger-size dog because they are the ones who usually are in greater need of homes. Apartments in my area often specify "small pets allowed". But here again, there are exceptions- I've heard there are a lot of chihuahuas needing homes these days.

Both cats and dogs are lovable (most of them anyway), and are amazing animals! They're just different.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 05-31-2014 at 08:45 AM.
#6 Old 06-07-2014, 12:04 PM

Very interesting. I can see it, to an extent at least. I love dogs and cats for different reasons. But most of the people I have known who call themselves "cat people" tend to be of very high intelligence, whereas dog people seem to have more variance in their intelligence. That is purely anecdotal, though. We have 2 dogs in our home, but I also have shared my home with cats and I love them very much as well.
#7 Old 06-08-2014, 05:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I vastly prefer cats, but I'm not fond of these "breaking science news" studies....

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
#8 Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm I don't agree at all. I'm a dog person and an introvert. I don't know if I'm smart or not but studying is my life right now :P
Diesel likes this.
#9 Old 06-22-2014, 01:27 AM

I have to say that the personality they described for a cat person does sound like me quite a bit, but I'm not so sure about my having superior intelligence or anything like that. I love dogs so much, but I love cats even more. I didn't know that dogs were smarter than cats, though. I mean it makes when I think about it, but I never did think about it before.
Anyway, I'm not sure how true this can be because if 60% of the people in the study were dog people and there were only 11% cat people, then that means that there was a lot more variety in the "dog person category" so there would be more people with varying intelligences, whereas with the cat people, there's a lot less people to lower or raise the average iq, I think. I don't know if that made sense or is true/logical, but yeah lol.
Anyway the notion that by your pet someone would be able to determine your intelligence or your personality just seems pretty silly to me.
#10 Old 08-21-2014, 03:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Cats are like the worst pets, they don't do anything but eat and sleep. :P
#11 Old 09-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Gotta love how the original author of this article failed to include a link to the published article. Also, I am more curious as to whether or not this has been explored in a meta-analysis. Being a popular "debate" you would think this study has been conducted before. Also, you could look at additional research which discusses the connection between personality and intelligence.
#12 Old 09-25-2014, 11:33 AM
No flesh since 99'

I'm very allergic to dogs and extremely allergic to cats. Wonder what they'd say about us bird owners? Mine feathery baby is highly intelligent and oh so curious about EVERYTHING. I'd rather spend time with him than other humans any day! But I think the general notion is bird owners are weird and birds aren't "real pets" or capable of being good companions/emotional beings, despite being among the most intelligent animals on the planet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page