100 Vegan-Eating Dogs; An encyclopedia of Vegan Dog Nutrition - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Zelda Freak

Not sure if this has been posted before, but thought it was pretty cool so I'm posting it anyhow in case other people missed it last year... 

This is a long list of vegan pups put together by vegan blogger Butterflies Katz - the dogs are from all over the world - Malaysia, India, Italy, Australia, the United States and the United Kingdom. It's nice to see so many healthy vegan dogs! 

+ 100 Vegan-Eating Dogs; An encyclopedia of Vegan Dog Nutrition

Werewolf Girl likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Impeach the gangster

Let's add Winkie and Fleur to that list!

Winkie is 11-years old, has been vegan her whole life, and is going strong!

Fleur is just 5-months old, but off to a great start!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

That's amazing, thank you so much for sharing this! I'm feeling more and more confident about having a vegan dog one day.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-25-2013, 04:40 PM

No, please, just no.  Dogs are carnivores.  Please feed them properly.

#5 Old 12-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronymph View Post

Actually, they are omnivorous.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 12-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronymph View Post

Honestly, dogs are omnivores that can do very well on a vegetarian diet. There are mainstream foods, like Natural Balance, that have veg formulas. Many dogs have allergies to meat and dairy.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 12-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Honestly, dogs are omnivores that can do very well on a vegetarian diet. There are mainstream foods, like Natural Balance, that have veg formulas. Many dogs have allergies to meat and dairy.

Like my dog, Max. The ten and a half year old vegan-diet dog who is severely allergic to dairy and meats.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#8 Old 12-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Actually, they are omnivorous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Actually, they're not.  They're carnivores.  They lack the enzymes to digest fruits, vegetables and grains.  These must be ground up and the cell walls broken down prior to ingestion in order for dogs to absorb any nutrients from them.  The dog is not going to grind them itself, as it does not have the teeth for grinding.  They're just not considered "obligate carnivores" because, unlike cats, they can produce a lot of their own amino acids and vitamins.

Quote:

Like my dog, Max. The ten and a half year old vegan-diet dog who is severely allergic to dairy and meats.

While I don't deny that it does happen as an anomaly, it is more likely that your dog is allergic to the chemicals used to treat the meats, and all the other crap they put into processed dog foods than to the meat itself. Most dogs can't handle dairy, like humans, they do not naturally produce the lactase to break it down.  I am not suggesting you try and find out.  Please don't take it that way.  Just putting it out there.  Many times a vet will run a panel that comes back as a dog is allergic to chicken, but when fed fresh, raw chicken that hasn't been chemically processed, that same dog will have no reaction. Again, I'm just saying.  Not challenging.

#9 Old 12-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

http://web-dvm.net/dogs-are-omnivores-and-should-be-fed-as-such/

Lol you're just makin **** up, and should not be telling people to homemade their pet's food or feed them raw meat. It is dangerous, overloaded with protein for dogs, and unnecessary.

And -this may come off rude- do not tell me my dog should be fed meat which is extremely toxic to him. And do not tell anyone else on here the same. My dog *is* highly allergic to chicken, deer, moose, cow, pig, kangaroo, turkey, duck, lamb, potatoes, peas, and beets. I have spent more time, money, and effort into keeping him healthy than you can imagine. Before you attempt to give anyone medical, health, and diet advice on these boards please accompany it with credible sources, preferably peer reviewed, or some sort of credentials which make you qualified.

Quote:
#10 Old 12-25-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Lol you're just makin **** up.

No, actually I have been doing research on animal nutrition (you know, that's not based on what a dog food company tells me, unlike your vet) for years. I don't bring an animal into my family without doing the proper research on how best to care and provide for it. Just like I'm not going to feed my rabbit a big hunk of venison steak, I'm not going to expect my cats and dogs to eat salads.  Dogs have the short, straight digestive tract of a carnivore.  What is it exactly that you think I'm making up, so I can find proper sources for you?

Also, if you will note, I didn't tell you - or anyone for that matter - that they should change their dogs diet.  Actually, I specifically said that that was not what I was saying.  Dogs being allergic to meat IS an anomaly.  I didn't mean for that to be offensive.  I personally cannot digest animal proteins, which makes me an anomaly, too.  The ONLY guaranteed way to know if your dog is allergic to a food is to perform a real life elimination diet with organic foods.  Blood panels are not reliable. 

Feeding a well balanced raw diet is no more dangerous than feeding kibble.  But it takes time and research, it's not nearly as convenient.  And I personally have seen an amazing difference in my pets from the switch.  However, again, I did not suggest that you switch to raw, just stated an example of what I was talking about.

There are dogs who should be on a vegetarian diet.  I did not deny that.  But for the average healthy dog it is not necessary. 

#11 Old 12-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

http://web-dvm.net/dogs-are-omnivores-and-should-be-fed-as-such/

Lol you're just makin **** up, and should not be telling people to homemade their pet's food or feed them raw meat. It is dangerous, overloaded with protein for dogs, and unnecessary.

And -this may come off rude- do not tell me my dog should be fed meat which is extremely toxic to him. And do not tell anyone else on here the same. My dog *is* highly allergic to chicken, deer, moose, cow, pig, kangaroo, turkey, duck, lamb, potatoes, peas, and beets. I have spent more time, money, and effort into keeping him healthy than you can imagine. Before you attempt to give anyone medical, health, and diet advice on these boards please accompany it with credible sources, preferably peer reviewed, or some sort of credentials which make you qualified.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but pyronymph is as qualified to give advice on meat and/or raw diets for dogs as you or anyone else is to give advice about feeding dogs veg.

#12 Old 12-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Not trying to be argumentative here, but pyronymph is as qualified to give advice on meat and/or raw diets for dogs as you or anyone else is to give advice about feeding dogs veg.

I dont think anyone here -including me- should give anyone unqualified advice on what to feed animals, particularly ones who or severely allergic things. It's dangerous.

I should also say, I am truly sorry for the attitude I gave last night - I was in a really pissed off mood and shouldn't have been posting in the first place. So I am very sorry for my tone and attitude.

Quote:
#13 Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I dont think anyone here -including me- should give anyone unqualified advice on what to feed animals, particularly ones who or severely allergic things. It's dangerous.

I should also say, I am truly sorry for the attitude I gave last night - I was in a really pissed off mood and shouldn't have been posting in the first place. So I am very sorry for my tone and attitude.

I think we've all done that before. :)

River likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page