Apartment kitty - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 PM

So I've never loved a cat before and absolutely adore this one I've had for 3 years. I nearly died when I thought I'd lost him and he's spoiled and loved and wonderful.
Recently I moved into an apartment by myself and he seems to have adjusted well to one-on-one company in concentration but also to having less space .He sleeps a lot and generally hangs out.
Just wondering though, should I be letting him out during the day? Some cats in the complex are let out daily and others I know are not. There are main roads around but if he'll be unhappy in here then I guess that's how it goes.
Is this life okay for him? He isn't visibly complaining and I'm generally in tune with him... but....

:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i wouldn't let him outside. it's dangerous and i'd worry about him getting hit by a car. if he adjusted well i don't see a problem with his situation
#3 Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Thank you! This was what I thought but I just...wanted to be sure :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

If he's happy, I don;t think you have anything to worry about.

Do you play with him? You probably won't even have to buy toys- just let him play with things that are safe, such as wads of paper and big cardboard boxes (remove tape or staples if you think he might try to eat them).

My cats (and rabbits) have all loved big cardboard boxes. Phil used to lounge on top if one, half-asleep; Riley would sneak inside and tag Phil through a hole in the box, Phil's eyes would snap open, and they'd be wrestling. With Harriet, I would stuff a wad of paper in a hole in the box; she would go inside and swat it out of the hole, I would put it back, she'd swat it again... Once, she wanted to play: she went inside the box, reached her paw through the hole, and came out looking at me. I wadded up some paper and we started playing.

I thought shoelaces were safe, but one day my cat Crystal jumped up on the bed with me. She was sort of gagging. I reached inside her mouth and pulled out a shoelace which she had partially swallowed. In all my years of having cats this had never happened before to me, I thanked the Creator that it happened when I was home so that I could do something. I was touched that she thought to come to me when she had a problem.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Definitely no. Every time I see a cat outside, I want to scoop it up and take it home. I've seen too many hit on the side of the road to ever be ok with outdoor cats. I suppose they have their place on farms and such. I don't like it but I understand it.

He'll be fine.  If he's never been outside then he probably doesn't even care.

#6 Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Aw, this is a post that made me smile. What a happy family ! :) Thankyou so much.

#7 Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Excellent. And yes, I get that urge too. Glad to know I'm doing the right thing by my important housemate, though. If he's happy, I'm happy.

#8 Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 PM

One of my cats was a stray that found us.  It's been about 6 years since we brought him in and he still tries to escape. Once in a while he slips past someone and has a 30 second adventure under the bush by our steps. Once he's outside he freezes up and doesn't quite know what to do. Then he realizes that's he's actually happy indoors and happily comes back into the house full of purring and head butts for everyone. Of course, an hour later he's trying to get back out again!

It truly is better for them inside. They'll most likely live longer and healthier lives because of it.

#9 Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Beginner

My cat is an indoor cat. I've had him since he was 6 months old. He's never really been interested in the outdoors. The only time it's ever looked like he wants to go out is because he wants to follow me. I think if your cat is happy indoors then leave them there. Cats do equally well indoors and out, the plus point of them being indoors is that they are less likely to get injuries, be it by cars or other animals. Plus you don't have to worry about them catching some nasty viruses. One of the reasons Dexter (my cat) is kept in is because he is a cat flu carrier. If he gets into contact with other cats that have not been vaccinated he could pass it on to them. It's not the worst thing a cat can get, but it can be really dangerous to very young and very old cats.

Just make sure you give them lots of love and play with them when they're active and it's all good ^_^ You can never have too many toys!

#10 Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

My kitty is also kept indoors except for when he goes for walks with his harness. At my boyfriend's parents old house they used to have the best enclosed garden with a high fence, if I had a place like that I might be more inclined to let him out during the day but in our area we're close to a busy road we have no fence and there are coyotes all around us at night. I've seen too many missing cat posters to risk my babies life, besides he gets so much attention and play time it's revolting.

Here is Moe starting another day of exploring:

A leash and harness is a great compromise for people who still want their kitty to get some outdoor time. Moe acts just like a dog and starts meowing excitedly and rubbing against my legs when I get the leash out, so clearly he likes it. tongue3.gif
CrazyApple likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#11 Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Beginner

Werewolf girl, I'm planning on doing the same with Dexter, once I get a harness I trust. ^_^

#12 Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faya View Post

Werewolf girl, I'm planning on doing the same with Dexter, once I get a harness I trust. ^_^

He'll love it! Well, probably. laugh.gif

Some kitties don't take well to the harness and just do non-violent resistance where they go limp and refuse to move but Moe took to it right away, he basically ignores the leash and is just excited to sniff all the bushes and trees in the neighbourhood.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#13 Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM

We tried getting a harness for our escapee. When we put it on him he just flopped over and refused to get up. It was hilarious.

#14 Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Beginner

I have witnessed a former housemate have the same issue with her cat. Belly to the ground, refused to move. It was quite funny.

I have tried Dexter on a harness that I got from a local petstore. I've managed to get him to walk properly with it on in the house. Dreamies are a great motivator for my baby ^_^

Speaking of which! Another thing to try with housecats to keep them mentally stimulated and to bond with you. Teaching them tricks! I've gotten Dexter to sit where I point. I can get him to stay, move in a circle and give me a kiss (kiss = headbutt to the face). He gets a vocal command and a hand gesture. He gets a cat treat every time he does the trick right. It can take a while and don't try it when they are hungry, cos' they just want the treat and will not listen to what you are saying. Although there will be a lot of purring and rubbing around your legs (I'm hungry, setting cuteness to maximum! Purr purr purr!)

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#15 Old 06-18-2013, 03:13 PM

I always say my death will come from a cat at feeding time. I have three cats. When they're all hungry and winding around my legs it leads to tripping. One of these days I'm going to fall over and knock my head. shocked.gif

#16 Old 06-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my rescue kitties is mixed with the breed chartreux I had no idea I just brought it up to the vet that my cat acts like a dog I thought she would just laugh it off however she said your cat has the colour the size and attitude of that breed. I named him Loki and I nick named him cat/dog Lol I will take a pic soon as decides to make his appearance he loves to sleep under my bed .... He is the best cat/dog at playing fetch better than my dog Lola who will fetch but play keep away Lol grin.gif
#17 Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Loki with his brother mitts in the background Lol they try to slap my phone out of my hands smiley.gif everything is a toy to them ....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page