My dog doesnt like other dogs what do i do? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

My bf and i are moving in together next week and im bringing my dog. Well she doesnt like other dogs period. She just doesnt. Shes not picky she just doesnt like any dogs.
Well my bf has 2 dogs. He was planning on leaving the one with his dad so hes not lonely (which is going to kill me because i LOVE her) but hes planning on bronging cami along. Well i dont know what to do. My aunt had 2 aggressive dogs and the way they handled it was so compocated. They would keep one in a kennel and let the other one out and then switch them. So at all times one of the dogs was in a kennel, excelt at night time they would keep one in there bedroom and one roamed he house til morning.
I dont want to see one of them stuck in a cage half of he day.
Ive considered one of those basket muzzles to keep on jasper all the time except when she eats but i dont know how i will feel about that. I dot want to see her walk around with a muzzle on all the time but i also do not want to watch dog fights every evening. Ive thouht about keeping a shock collar on her and just keeping a close eye and zapping her and maybe i could train her not to be an ahole but what about when i sleep? I dont want to be in constant fear that a fight is going to brake out.
Another option is to leave cami at my bfs dads house to but thats not fair to him. I get to bring my dog and he doesnt. I love his dog as much as mine and i dont want him to hold that against me forever either .

Anybody else dealt with this kind of situation befor and does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Ankle Biter

Are the two dogs similar in size and weight? How vicious is yours when she gets near another dog? Are you worried that one will get hurt, or that one will get killed? My dogs are all dog aggressive when we're out walking, but once I bring a foster dog into the yard, they settle down after a few warning growls and snaps. I keep the foster on a leash and let mine meet it one at a time. Keeping it on the leash, I know I can yank it out of the way if things go badly (which they never have, thank goodness).

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

There both medium sized dogs. A coon hound (jasper) and a smaller sized lab (cami)
I dont think jasper would kill cami but definately put a hurtin on her. I havnt had her off leash with another dog for 5 years.
We used to have a very old basset hound and she used to beat up on him all the time. It wasnt playing. It got so bad we had to keep them seperated and my basset couldnt defend himself because he was so old. So after that ive never let her roam free with another dog. But even on a leash shes mean. She growls and snaps. I mentions somewhere else on here that when i walk her at certain points in my route i have to put her regular muzzle just in case any of my neighbors have there dogs out and they come up to us. Befor i stared doing that my neighbor had her dog out and she ran up to us and jasper nipped a few times and i had to hold her front end off the ground to keep her mouth away til my neighbor came to get her.
I think its a dominance thing. Well obviously its a dominance thing. I dont want to see any other dogs get hurt. Shes met cami befor like 3 times. They were both on a leash and she seemed ok but that was a very controlled situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Ankle Biter

Wow. That's going to be stressful. Could you have a dog trainer come to the house and help you? If not, go very slowly. I wouldn't even let them get near enough to sniff each other for several days. Just get them used to the fact that there's another dog in the home before they have any contact. And I would definitely feed them separately for a long time, keep separate toys too. You really want to be careful not to trigger any jealousy early in this arrangement.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Cami has to be fed seperately anyways because she is food aggressive. So thats already a definate. I think the only person who can help me is ceasar millan the do whisperer
#6 Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you find/afford a behaviorist in your area? It's not really something that can be instructed over the Internet. Two dogs of the same sex can get downright ugly if they truly want to. In my experience female dogs can be worse than males about it. I wouldn't use a shock collar to keep her from attacking the other dog. That will just make her associate the shock with the other dog. I reserve shock collars for things like "don't touch that snake" or "don't kill that cat" or "don't chase cars" for dogs who can't get it another way and are a danger to themselves or cats. It is not the ideal way to break up or prevent a dog fight.

I've done crate and rotate myself and it's really not that big a deal. Better than dog fights!

When I first had problems with fighting years ago and asked on dog boards what books were recommended, The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell won hands down. (This was before Cesar. I know people like to hate on him but his pack made up of many "tough" breeds and previously aggressive dogs do NOT fight. The man is doing something right.) It really does make a difference if you follow what she says to the letter but I am NOT about to say go read this book and all your problems will be solved. It's more complicated than that, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with dogs.

#7 Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM

I would crate and rotate personally until I could consult with a professional just for everyone's safety and sanity. In the mean time kikopup on youtube is a great resource for training methods for all different kind of situations and issues through positive reinforcment training. Emily is really educational and worth a look if you've never watched her videos. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page