Lifelong immunity - Why Vets Are Pushing Back - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I was doing some reading tonight trying to make a final decision on how often to vaccinate my older dogs, who have had several, though not annual, vaccines over their lifetimes. I found this interesting.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...immunity-vets/

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...immunity-aaha/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

see this too, about cats
http://www.catinfo.org/?link=vaccines

people over-vaccinate their animals on the recommendation of conventional vets, and it can really hurt them. People ought best to look at the research rather than just blindly following professionals - they can be wrong.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#3 Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

The vets where I go don't have a problem with not vaccinating annually. It's always the front office where they look at me like I have 3 heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesting reading. How often do you vaccinate your animals Wolfie?
#5 Old 02-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I had been doing them every 3 years but have been wondering for a while if even that was overkill. Now after reading this and other articles on it, I think my dogs are done for life. They've all received a few D6 vax over their lives, so they are well covered. I still do rabies every 3 years even though it probably lasts longer because that one is required by law. My inside-only cat is a criminal though. She's never had a rabies vaccine. For my dogs that found me as young puppies, I did do the recommended 3 vax 3-4 weeks apart, starting at 8 weeks old. Then a 1 year booster, then every 3 years after that. If I ever have another puppy, I will stop after the 1 year booster.
#6 Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I have only given my cats their first vaccinations and then the one year booster too. I just gave my pup his next lot as he is just over a year but I was wondering if annual injections were needed.
#7 Old 02-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I vaccinated my 12 pound dachshund as a puppy, annually for five years, then down to every three years. I still get Pepper her annual checkup, but she's 13 now, so I think I'm done with the vaccines. The yard is fenced, daily walks always on a leash, and she's in the house sleeping wrapped up in a blanket most of the time.
#8 Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Ankle Biter

Wow, this is fascinating. Thanks for posting - I have a lot of thinking/reading to do.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm done with regular vaccines for my indoor only cat Simon. He had a moderate vaccine reaction last time and he's at a very low risk. I will continue to vaccinate him for rabies every three years since he is occasionally an attack cat.

Doing reception my job was always to remind people that we didn't vaccinate every year but that we wanted to see their pets at least yearly. Really, the vaccines should be a tiny portion of what goes on at an annual exam. I'm not sure why anyone would worry about losing revenue. I've always found clients really receptive to booking annually even without the "pokes" being done. That could be because the practices I've worked at tend to focus more on routine, preventive care and that can come quite easily without annual vx.
#10 Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

ya i was always pretty lax in recommending vaccines for pets who had been previously vaccinated....I found it funny that staff pets at the vet clinic were rarely "up to date" on vaccines that we sold to clients. It wasn't really that it was a source of income, but it keeps people coming in for regular checkups and it covers our liability since the 3 year protocol is becoming pretty standard now. the studies are starting to get some more backing but change takes a while. And rabies needs to be updated at least every 3 years for legal reasons, earlier in some areas.

vaccines for puppies/kittens are very important though, start those by 8 weeks of age and finish that series of vaccs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page