Discipline For Your Pets - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 PM

Hello, everybody!

I'm just wondering what kinds of humane discipline there are. I was taught by my parents to put the cat[we've only had cats. We had hamsters and also we have fish] in the bathroom for 15 minutes if he/she disobeys and also to give the cat a small lecture on what they did wrong.

I always feel guilty putting them in the bathroom because they look so sad. Is there a better way to teach them not to do something?

Thank you!
<3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 PM
mlp
Banned

They are absolutely not going to make a connection between being put in the bathroom and whatever it is that they did. Punishment really does not work with cats. The only thing putting them into the bathroom does is to add stress to their lives.
#3 Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't discipline them. i train them not to do things they shouldn't. for instance, i don't want them to step on my laptop, especially on the keyboard, so i'll push them off every time. they learn pretty quickly if they want my attention that they should not walk on my laptop. when they piss me off i just curse at them. they don't seem to mind that much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 PM

Thank you!
Zirpatze, I think that's a good idea. Just telling them 'no' and 'off' and picking them up off of the things they're not supposed to be on. I'll try that and hopefully it will work!

<3
#5 Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Beginner

I don't think it's possible to train cats not to do things like sitting on the couch or jumping on the worktop in the kitchen, etc, just not to do it when you're there - at least with the cats that I've known. Maybe other people are just better at it than I am? I used to spray my cats with water from a bottle when they did something I didn't want them to do, but it only worked to get them to stop doing it for that particular time and they were always repeat offenders, so it obviously didn't teach them anything. I stopped doing it because it clearly wasn't working and I hated doing it because they hated it. I think the only thing you can do really is to take them off things they shouldn't be on, etc, as has already been suggested. I think they can (will) learn not to do things that annoy you while you're in the room. They're not stupid - just willful.
#6 Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Cats really can't be disciplined. They can be directed to more desirable behaviors though, and maybe some aversion with light double-sided tape made for that purpose (but I've never tried it and not sure if it's safe). Did the punishment provided by your parents ever train the cats, or just make them more neurotic (I can guess)?

It's their house too. I'd just let them be on whatever they want to be on, and wipe down the counter before you use it. They'll be on it anyway when you're out of the room, if that's their habit.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#7 Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 AM

Thank you, everybody, for answering and trying to help. <3

Irizary, our cats actually have been trained to not get ontop of the kitchen counter/stove, ontop of the dinner table and ontop of the TV stand[they can freely roam and climb everything else]. It's just my youngest cat, who is about a year and 3 months old, that keeps disobeying. I think it's because she's still young and is still slowly being trained.

Putting them in the bathroom for 15ish minutes has never traumatized my cats, scared them or made them more neurotic. Quite the opposite, actually. They are usually calmer and they understand and know that if they do something wrong, they get a warning. If they do it again, they go into the bathroom. They usually just sit on the rug in the middle of the floor and wait rather than trying to run out of the bathroom. They obey about 85% to 90% of the time.
#8 Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasox View Post

they understand and know that if they do something wrong, they get a warning. If they do it again, they go into the bathroom.

I'm usually the last person to say someone is anthropomorphizing, but that's not how cats understand the world, "If I do it once, I get a warning, twice I go into solitary confinement..." That's not the type of reasoning they do. They will not connect the bathroom to doing anything wrong. Maybe you can do some reading on-line and find an expert opinion that supports your viewpoint or tells you differently?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#9 Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I'm usually the last person to say someone is anthropomorphizing, but that's not how cats understand the world, "If I do it once, I get a warning, twice I go into solitary confinement..." That's not the type of reasoning they do. They will not connect the bathroom to doing anything wrong. Maybe you can do some reading on-line and find an expert opinion that supports your viewpoint or tells you differently?

This.
#10 Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

deleted

#11 Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Does behavior interruption work with cats?

Depends how strong the motivation for that behaviour is.
#12 Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

You can't train a cat. Dogs have masters, cats have staff. Most people who think they have "trained" a cat not to jump have probably never set up a camera to see what happens when they are away.

That's what bleach water is for. For spraying cooking/eating surfaces I mean, not the cat.
#13 Old 11-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

deleted
#14 Old 11-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

That's what bleach water is for. For spraying cooking/eating surfaces I mean, not the cat.

I wondered what you meant at first! I have to keep my kitchen door closed or my cats swarm all over the kitchen counters.

I was thinking of trying Feliway with my cats as they seem to fight a lot at night. It's a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone used by cats to mark their territory as safe and secure and is supposed to reduce stress levels.
#15 Old 11-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It worked for my sister's cat when she was peeing outside the litterbox and a physical issue was ruled out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page