Where To Get A Rat? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#31 Old 08-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Oo that's great that they are all fixed!
But wahhh the pictures are working for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Do these work?

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#33 Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes!!! What little sweeties...I'm loving that last picture! So sweet and curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations!!
#35 Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

Yes!!! What little sweeties...I'm loving that last picture! So sweet and curious

They are EXTREMELY curious. Every time I get near their cage they are at the bars, on their hind legs. It's adorable. I love watching them play.

I may be adopting a 4th this weekend.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#36 Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Wow, you're so lucky! They are adorable! I want a rat so much now after seeing those pictures of how cute and curious they are.
#37 Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have the time, money, and space, you should adopt two. They're lovely. Mine play on my bed when I'm reading or doing work, and when I get up they follow me as I walk around the bed.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#38 Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

That's adorable How do they get along with your other pets (You have a cat and bunny, right?)?
#39 Old 08-25-2011, 02:21 AM

RATS ARE THE BEST PETS!!!

I got mine from the pet shop cos there wasn't a rescue place which had rats near me - saying that we've never had any serious problems with them and I swear they have the most amazing personalities. Pippin - the one in my picture does this cute little spinning around thing when you call his name, it reminds me of Zoolander 'I'm not an ambi-turner!'.
#40 Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I want some rat friends now. Impatience! Such cute pictures.

I will have to get them from a nice breeder as I can't find any rescue centres nearby at all.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#41 Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

That's adorable How do they get along with your other pets (You have a cat and bunny, right?)?

I've been keeping the cats away from them. It's not hard to do, really. And the rabbit and the rats never interact. The dog doesn't ever go into my room, so that isn't a problem either.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#42 Old 09-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

I want some rat friends now. Impatience! Such cute pictures.

I will have to get them from a nice breeder as I can't find any rescue centres nearby at all.

You should check out http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/ - there are usually rats being fostered on the boards looking for homes

I love rats and have wanted some for years. theres always something in the way though! One day...

Your new friends look lovely : D
#43 Old 07-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I hate starting new ones.

My son's application for rescuing two rats had just been approved. We are doing a lot of research and also have a "counselor" assigned to us by the rescue group.

If anyone has any personal experiences for basic care that they care to share, or know of particularly good links out there, it would be most welcomed. While I know there are good resources to be found online, sometimes it's nice to get advice from first hand experienced rat owners. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#44 Old 07-10-2016, 04:30 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I hate starting new ones.

My son's application for rescuing two rats had just been approved. We are doing a lot of research and also have a "counselor" assigned to us by the rescue group.

If anyone has any personal experiences for basic care that they care to share, or know of particularly good links out there, it would be most welcomed. While I know there are good resources to be found online, sometimes it's nice to get advice from first hand experienced rat owners. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I don't have any rat care advice. I am cracking up because mice out, rats in.
karenlovessnow likes this.
#45 Old 07-10-2016, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Lol...good one! The rescue did say that having pet rats could deter the mice...but with my luck, the rats will probably invite the mice in for a party!

LedBoots likes this.
#46 Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have had 6 rats in the past, and now have 2 new baby rats. The sad thing about rats is that they do not live very long. They are easy to care for. They are grain eaters, mainly, vegetarian, and can be kept on rat block (lab chow) and fresh fruits and veggies. I have my 2 in a large parrot cage. A really good source is "the rat fan club." The Rat Report is part of that.

Another important thing to know about them is that they are Crepuscular, meaning they are must active a little before dawn, and a little after dusk. They are usually sleeping all day, so getting them out to play during their sleeping time may knock into their "beauty sleep." They also like it cool, so really hot weather requires a fan. Make sure not to keep them in a fish tank (air movement issues: though you can if you ventilate it), and also they get respiratory illnesses most often (and also come down with mites). Due to the respiratory problems, you are not supposed to keep them in pine or wood bedding. I heard aspen is okay, but then occasionally I hear it is not.

Oh, I got my kitten when my older rats were still alive, and she used to play with one a lot, and so now she does not even care about rats. I guess she does not consider them edible.
karenlovessnow likes this.

Last edited by Gita; 07-15-2016 at 11:26 AM.
#47 Old 07-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the reply, Gita! We were supposed to pick ours up on Sunday but my son ordered the cage from Amazon and it was supposed to be delivered yesterday but there is a problem with ups and now it won't be here until Monday. So he's postponing the pick up. I thought he could keep them in the large glass cage we have, just for a day, but he prefers to wait. Boooo.

#48 Old 07-16-2016, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Gita! We were supposed to pick ours up on Sunday but my son ordered the cage from Amazon and it was supposed to be delivered yesterday but there is a problem with ups and now it won't be here until Monday. So he's postponing the pick up. I thought he could keep them in the large glass cage we have, just for a day, but he prefers to wait. Boooo.

Well, he could, like you say. I kept mine in a fish tank with a wire cage on top. It is kind of like a wild animal cage. A week would not really matter. Then I finally got the big cage set up. This is all fairly recent. My last older rat died in June, after an extremely long life of 2.5 years. It is very sad when they die. I told myself not to get any more, but they are so darned cute. I would totally go for a Gambian giant rat. They are quite intelligent and also live about 7 years.
#49 Old 07-16-2016, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

The short life span does concern me. But we're in it now, so our goal is to give them the best care we possibly can.

Do you have your rats spayed/neutered? I am reading that it is better for the rats if you do. We are getting three females and it would be nice to not have that expense, but I don't want to have to worry about cancer.

#50 Old 07-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I got my 4 male rats neutered because I wanted all the rats (female and male) in a cage together. As long as they are all one sex you do not have to worry. This time around, I will not be doing that. I do not want 6 at a time because that can get messy. I also did not like what happened after the neutering. The rat has a special kind of scrotum, and if you neuter them the wrong way, they tend to have hideous abscesses. The vet I had really botched the first 2 neuters (even though he swore he knew how to do it). Long story short, the testes cannot be removed from the outside like a dog or cat. Getting a female spayed would be hard too since they are such small animals. I would just have the same sex of rat all the way through.

As far as "is it better?" I would answer by saying that for an animal who normally lives 2 years at most, being in pain for a few weeks is like you (living 70 years or so) being in pain for months and months. I would say that the proportional time in pain to span of life is not worth it. See what I mean? Rats get cancer anyway. That is why scientists like to use them as "guinea pigs" in cancer trials. They are prone to many human diseases, tragically. It is almost that because of their already short lives, the decision of whether to treat will need to come up before you emotionally get into chemo therapy for a rat.

I know this will get longish, but I had a good friend who I took care of from the time he was diagnosed as having cancer in 2009, to the time he died in 2012. Logically, any cancer detection test except possibly a blood antibody test, is not going to detect cancer until the person has had it for 10 years or so. By that time, if it is metastatic, there is really nothing that they can do but hit you with cell-killing poisons. Chemo therapy kills all cells not only cancer cells, and by the time the person dies they look like a wax candel. If I ever have cancer, I am not getting chemo. I really think that most people who die of cancer actually die of the medicine they give for it. If you can go happily on with cancer the size of a pencil eraser that has taken 10 years to get to that size, you can go for another 10 years and have a cancer the size of a grape. Okay, so rats, depending on the cellular division rate will probably die of the disease (if you are removing the uterus to remove the potential of getting reproductive tract cancer) it most likely will become fatal at about the time the rat dies naturally anyway.

Now, as i said above, what will kill a rat faster, (more often) then cancer of the reproductive system is breathing issues caused by breathing dusts of things like bedding material. Oh, also do not spray air fresheners around them either.

And frankly, they do smell a bit. The cage should be cleaned and bedding changed often. Male rats smell worse than females because they have musk glands and have a secretion called "buck grease" that they like to rub all over their fur. Male rats (probably female too) should get a bath at least once a week. I use a Ferrret shampoo since nothing is made specifically for rats.

Tell me if I can help you again! I totally have loved my rats. They love to hop around the house but if you do that remember to also make sure they are not in a room where they can go under something. I cannot tell you how many times I had to move a couch or a bookshelf to "find a rat."

Last edited by Gita; 07-16-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page