Old dogs are great dogs - new addition to my family - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 AM
mlp
Banned

My vet in St. Louis has set aside room to take in animals and try to adopt them out. A couple of months ago, one of the rescues my vet works with pulled a pregnant dog from a local shelter. As some of you may know, pregnant dogs are often quickly put down, before they can give birth, because once a litter is born, it really strains the resources of already overcrowded shelters.

This dog is approximately ten and has been bred nonstop, for profit, her whole life. Only two pups were born alive, and one lived only a very short time. The mother dog ended up adopting and nursing an orphaned raccoon, as well as her surviving pup. The story made not only the local, but the national, news. Despite all the publicity, no one came forward to adopt the mom. (The puppy has gone to his new home.)

Jack (my JRT) and I made a trip to St. Louis to meet the mom. The meeting between her and Jack went fine, and in a couple of weeks, we will be going back to pick her up. (Her milk has to dry fully, and then she will be spayed.)

She was brought to the shelter with the name "Sasha", but she doesn't answer to it - she was a commodity, not an individual. Since my Pyr's name is Tascha, I'm going to change the new pup's name to Jilly (Jack and Jilly ) to avoid any confusion in dog world.

Here's a formal portrait of Jilly and her two *pups*.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

deleted

#3 Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned

She's so adorable! Congratulations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor sweetie being bred her whole life. 10 years old and still having babies, that is like a woman of about 65 or so giving birth... Thank you so much for bringing such a sweetheart into your life.... Can't wait to see more photos once she is with you and settled...
#5 Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I just teared up after reading that. congrats to your adorable new addition. what a little love!

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#6 Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
mlp
Banned

She's a great little dog, despite the life she's had. What really surprised me is that no one wanted to adopt her - normally, animals who make the news get all kinds of offers, but apparently, no one wants an old dog, even one like this.

Here's the clip that made both the local and national news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQHvqQlA3tU
#7 Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Maltese with a hair cut?
#8 Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Maltese with a hair cut?

She does have a haircut. At the rescue, they think she's a cockapoo, but I have a friend who has had Tibetan terriers for many years - she and her husband used to show them - and she says that the way her hair grows around her eyes is called the "chrysanthemum", and that that pattern of hair growth is unique to three Asian companion breeds - the Tibetan terrier, the lhasa apso, and the shih tzu. She's convinced that she's a cross between a lhasa apso and a shih tzu. Having seen her eyes in person, I'm suspecting she's correct.
#9 Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

She's precious. That poor mama pup. At least she has love in her future now!
#10 Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Aw what a sad story, I'm so glad she's found a lovley new home with you

She looks adorable too. I hope she settles in well
#11 Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 AM

What a precious picture! She looks so sweet!

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
#12 Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's so great that you adopted an older dog. Speaks volumes about how you regard human and non-human animals both. No ageism for you!
#13 Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Well done! She is beautiful. That is such a sad story though.
#14 Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm positive that Jilly couldn't have found a better home than yours!

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#15 Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on Jilly, and a warm, loving home for all of you.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#16 Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

MLP, I just want to hug you!! That's so great of you to give her a home. What a doll she seems to be. Update us with pictures when you get her!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page