Feeding your pet veg*n food! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Beginner
 
delitebrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 129
Can someone explain this to me? I don't get it. I guess for dogs, a veg*n diet wouldn't be harmful, because they're omnivorous. But I was looking on some vegan product website for makeup and I saw vegan catfood? Cats are carnivores. Every cat, in the history of history, has been built for a carnivorous diet. I'm all for humans not eating animals, because we have a choice and we're built in a way that a plant-only diet sustains us. Humans are not predators, we have to cage and drug our animals. Kitties are predators. They don't think, "Hey, it's not nice to eat this bird". They eat it because that's what their body tells them they need. If feeding your pet meat (or live insects, like in the case of lizards and amphibians) bothers you to the extent that you want to restrict their diet, get an herbivorous or omnivorous pet! Bunnies, birds, dogs, etc. are fine pets.

That's my thought. But I'd really like to know if any of you do this? If you do, could you please explain your reasoning? I really don't understand.
delitebrite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
imdead-goaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 222
If the vegan petfood doesn't affect the cat (whether it does or not, I don't know, thus "if"), I don't see what the problem would be.
Most of the cats throughout history weren't the domesticated kitties we have now. If we can raise them without meat, why not?
imdead-goaway is offline  
#3 Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Beginner
 
delitebrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

If the vegan petfood doesn't affect the cat (whether it does or not, I don't know, thus "if"), I don't see what the problem would be.
Most of the cats throughout history weren't the domesticated kitties we have now. If we can raise them without meat, why not?

Domestication doesn't affect the bodily structure of the animal. Even domesticated kitties act as predators, that's something you cannot get rid of. Thus, the diet will remain mostly unchanged. Anyone who has ever let their cat outside before has been treated to the "gift" of a killed bird or mouse. This is a predatory instinct, to kill. Obviously, domestication hasn't eradicted instinct. The instinct is why cats GO for meat, their body structure is why they survive off of it. Try feeding kitty carrots at every meal and she'll balk. Plus, if you try feeding her a meatless diet, and let her out, she'll continue to hunt if her health permits, and if it doesn't allow, don't think she won't try. No matter how badly a human wants to force their lifestyle on their animal, there are some animals who cannot live healthily off of just plant matter. For a truly vegan kitty, one would have to keep the animal inside at all times (which is also a direct contradiction of cat life) to prevent hunting. If such an animal did not suffer health issues I would be shocked.
delitebrite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
imdead-goaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 222
I don't think the point of the food is to quell the cat's urge to kill, or to instill our morals onto it. The point is that we're not supporting an industry that mass murders animals. Cats killing birds and mice... it happens. But cows, sheep, fish, etc., getting killed for profit is contrary to vegetarian lifestyle. It's not natural for a cat to be eating cat food - that s*** doesn't exist in nature. If we're filling a dish with dry food, we might as well buy one that doesn't support the meat industry.
imdead-goaway is offline  
#5 Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ashlend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by delitebrite View Post

Domestication doesn't affect the bodily structure of the animal. Even domesticated kitties act as predators, that's something you cannot get rid of. Thus, the diet will remain mostly unchanged. Anyone who has ever let their cat outside before has been treated to the "gift" of a killed bird or mouse. This is a predatory instinct, to kill. Obviously, domestication hasn't eradicted instinct. The instinct is why cats GO for meat, their body structure is why they survive off of it. Try feeding kitty carrots at every meal and she'll balk. Plus, if you try feeding her a meatless diet, and let her out, she'll continue to hunt if her health permits, and if it doesn't allow, don't think she won't try. No matter how badly a human wants to force their lifestyle on their animal, there are some animals who cannot live healthily off of just plant matter. For a truly vegan kitty, one would have to keep the animal inside at all times (which is also a direct contradiction of cat life) to prevent hunting. If such an animal did not suffer health issues I would be shocked.

Well, I feed my cat meat, but I do also keep her inside. And I totally disagree that that is a bad idea. It's much safer for her that way, and we provide her a varied environment with lots of toys, things to scratch, etc. and a decent sized house which she has the run of.

I realize this wasn't really your main point, but cats can live healthier and longer if they're not allowed out.

ETA: a brief summary of some of the reasons can be found here. http://www.peta.org/living/companion...door-cats.aspx
ashlend is offline  
#6 Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Beginner
 
delitebrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

I don't think the point of the food is to quell the cat's urge to kill, or to instill our morals onto it. The point is that we're not supporting an industry that mass murders animals. Cats killing birds and mice... it happens. But cows, sheep, fish, etc., getting killed for profit is contrary to vegetarian lifestyle. It's not natural for a cat to be eating cat food - that s*** doesn't exist in nature. If we're filling a dish with dry food, we might as well buy one that doesn't support the meat industry.

Completing disregarding the other half of my point that cats' bodies are designed to be sustained on meat, and meat only. Neglecting to provide it for them is a compromise of their nutrition.
delitebrite is offline  
#7 Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Beginner
 
delitebrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

Well, I feed my cat meat, but I do also keep her inside. And I totally disagree that that is a bad idea. It's much safer for her that way, and we provide her a varied environment with lots of toys, things to scratch, etc. and a decent sized house which she has the run of.

I realize this wasn't really your main point, but cats can live healthier and longer if they're not allowed out.

ETA: a brief summary of some of the reasons can be found here. http://www.peta.org/living/companion...door-cats.aspx

This is more a matter of opinion. All my cats were allowed indoors and outdoors, and they lived a long time. We only had one accident that resulted in my kitty breaking her hip, but she healed right up and is perfectly healthy and energetic. Domesticated or not, cats are predators and for that reason I think they need to be able to go outside. Toys and a big house don't equate to fresh air and chances for stalking live prey. The 'safety' concern to me is moot, because all safety is an illusion. My kitty could have just as easily broken her hip inside my house as she did outside. Cats are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves outside.
delitebrite is offline  
#8 Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
mlp
Banned
 
mlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

If the vegan petfood doesn't affect the cat (whether it does or not, I don't know, thus "if"), I don't see what the problem would be.
Most of the cats throughout history weren't the domesticated kitties we have now. If we can raise them without meat, why not?

But vegan food does affect cats. You need to do some research on obligate carnivores

There are a lot of threads on this subject, and a lot of information cited in those threads about the negative affects of feeding an obligate carnivore a vegan diet.
mlp is offline  
#9 Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,995
My pets stay inside. I worked in animal rescue and saw too many pets that were poisoned, shot with arrows/darts/bb guns/etc..., burned, and used as bait animals... not by the owners, but by the neighbors and their kids. Small kids have a way of throwing around their neighbor's smaller pets until they're dead, and heaven forbid that pet defend itself, then you've got a lawsuit.

One of my neighbor's dogs is missing a leg, another is missing an eye.
On one occasion, I saw one of my neighbors drive all over people's lawn in a fit of rage trying to run over a dog that was barking at him.
There used to be a lot of stray cats, but their bodies keep turning up here and there.

And yet, I keep getting told how cruel I am for keeping my critters indoors, sometimes by these very same neighbors that have had to bury theirs.

To answer your question about diet, I'm vegan myself, but I feed both my dogs and my cats Nutro Natural Choice...which has meat in it. It's what they've eaten their whole life, and my demodectic mange dog (its not like the bad sarcoptic mange) does very well on it.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Hazelnut is offline  
#10 Old 06-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular
 
zirpkatze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,408
in my opinion, cats need to be fed meat. also, i think would be best in theory for cats to have access to the outdoors but in the modern world that's mostly not a good option anymore.


Quote:
Originally Posted by delitebrite View Post

Completing disregarding the other half of my point that cats' bodies are designed to be sustained on meat, and meat only. Neglecting to provide it for them is a compromise of their nutrition.

i'm curious, what specific things do you feed your cats?


Quote:
Originally Posted by delitebrite View Post

This is more a matter of opinion. All my cats were allowed indoors and outdoors, and they lived a long time. We only had one accident that resulted in my kitty breaking her hip, but she healed right up and is perfectly healthy and energetic. Domesticated or not, cats are predators and for that reason I think they need to be able to go outside. Toys and a big house don't equate to fresh air and chances for stalking live prey. The 'safety' concern to me is moot, because all safety is an illusion. My kitty could have just as easily broken her hip inside my house as she did outside. Cats are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves outside.

i'll have to disagree. cats are far more prone to injury outside because there's more dangers that they're exposed to. outdoors there's speeding cars, poisons, cat/animal haters or abusers, territorial cats, dogs, other predators, etc that are not an issue indoors. an indoor only cat isn't free of all danger but there's far fewer sources, especially compared to an indoor/outdoor cat that's exposed to both sources.
how did your cat break her hip? when you say she "could have just as easily broken her hip inside" what sorts of common accidents inside would cause a cat to break a hip?
zirpkatze is offline  
#11 Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

I'll have to disagree. cats are far more prone to injury outside because there's more dangers that they're exposed to. outdoors there's speeding cars, poisons, cat/animal haters or abusers, territorial cats, dogs, other predators, etc that are not an issue indoors. an indoor only cat isn't free of all danger but there's far fewer sources, especially compared to an indoor/outdoor cat that's exposed to both sources.

Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

how did your cat break her hip? when you say she "could have just as easily broken her hip inside" what sorts of common accidents inside would cause a cat to break a hip?

My kitteh goofballs do fall of the fridge and a high shelf. I always worry that they will hurt themselves.

I also had a dwarf rabbit for many years. One day, I was playing with him in a spare room. The phone rang (landline) so I left the room, and closed the door behind me. When I came back, he was hopping around with a broken leg bouncing behind him. I have no idea what happened! He liked to jump and do kickflips in the air... I can only figure that he landed wrong, or maybe got his leg caught somehow. My vet was wonderful, and he made a speedy recovery.

Anyways, household accidents do happen. But it is still far more dangerous to be outside.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Hazelnut is offline  
#12 Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ashlend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by delitebrite View Post

This is more a matter of opinion. All my cats were allowed indoors and outdoors, and they lived a long time. We only had one accident that resulted in my kitty breaking her hip, but she healed right up and is perfectly healthy and energetic. Domesticated or not, cats are predators and for that reason I think they need to be able to go outside. Toys and a big house don't equate to fresh air and chances for stalking live prey. The 'safety' concern to me is moot, because all safety is an illusion. My kitty could have just as easily broken her hip inside my house as she did outside. Cats are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves outside.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've had cats all my life and after one disappeared one day and never came back, I vowed never to let a cat out again. It's moot with my current cat anyway because we lived in the city for nine years before moving to suburbia, so I COULDN'T let her outside for the first nine years of her life even if I had wanted to. I'm sure as hell not going to start now that she's 11 years old, she's very skittish and would be completely clueless as to how to navigate that environment.

To get back to the point of the thread, i completely agree with you on the meat thing though!
ashlend is offline  
#13 Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
JoBravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 889
I almost want to say that it's unethical to feed a cat a vegan diet.

I also agree that pets should be kept indoors. I never understood or agreed with individuals who let their animals outside. Barring danger from other animals, humans included, the high chance of disease and parasites is terrifying.

Although, I've never had to 'keep' my cat indoors. All my cats have been rescues and none of them have ever wanted to go outside. Some had even run away from the door when it was opened like, "Oh hell no, you ain't sending me out there!"

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
JoBravo is offline  
#14 Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM
mlp
Banned
 
mlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

Although, I've never had to 'keep' my cat indoors. All my cats have been rescues and none of them have ever wanted to go outside. Some had even run away from the door when it was opened like, "Oh hell no, you ain't sending me out there!"

Yes, the last thing my rescues (some formerly feral) want is to be outdoors again. The only one who tries to *escape* is Sebastian, and for him, it's a mind game. When he has gotten out after dark and I can't find him in the bushes, he eventually saunters up to me, with this "You suck at this game" meow.

I do have an outdoor enclosure for them, to which they come and go at will, but only about half of them are interested in that.

But yes - way too many dangers. Of the cats who ended up dumped here last year, that I wasn't able to bring in, not one even survived to winter. And that's with food, shelter and medical care.
mlp is offline  
#15 Old 06-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Beginner
 
delitebrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

in my opinion, cats need to be fed meat. also, i think would be best in theory for cats to have access to the outdoors but in the modern world that's mostly not a good option anymore.


i'm curious, what specific things do you feed your cats?


i'll have to disagree. cats are far more prone to injury outside because there's more dangers that they're exposed to. outdoors there's speeding cars, poisons, cat/animal haters or abusers, territorial cats, dogs, other predators, etc that are not an issue indoors. an indoor only cat isn't free of all danger but there's far fewer sources, especially compared to an indoor/outdoor cat that's exposed to both sources.
how did your cat break her hip? when you say she "could have just as easily broken her hip inside" what sorts of common accidents inside would cause a cat to break a hip?

My cat doesn't live with me at the moment, because I'm staying with my parents and they rent a house that doesn't allow cats. She's with my grandmother, and I don't know the specific brand but I know she only gets wet food.

And my cat broke her hip because she fell and didn't manage to land correctly. She fell off our two foot high porch, which is something she could have done inside (falling off the couch or my bed, for instance).

And again, I believe this is more a matter of opinion. I don't think she's in very much danger outside, no more than inside. So I migh as well let her out, because she's designed to be outside. I've had LOTS of cats, with no problems except for Grecie breaking her hip. But disagreeing over whether letting kitty outdoors is a good thing or not isn't directly relevant to this thread.
delitebrite is offline  
#16 Old 06-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
zirpkatze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by delitebrite View Post

My cat doesn't live with me at the moment, because I'm staying with my parents and they rent a house that doesn't allow cats. She's with my grandmother, and I don't know the specific brand but I know she only gets wet food.

well, then what did you feed your cat (and those many other ones) when they lived with you?


Quote:
And my cat broke her hip because she fell and didn't manage to land correctly. She fell off our two foot high porch, which is something she could have done inside (falling off the couch or my bed, for instance).

i guess that would be a fluke.


Quote:
And again, I believe this is more a matter of opinion. I don't think she's in very much danger outside, no more than inside. So I migh as well let her out, because she's designed to be outside. I've had LOTS of cats, with no problems except for Grecie breaking her hip. But disagreeing over whether letting kitty outdoors is a good thing or not isn't directly relevant to this thread.

i've had "lots" of cats too, though i don't have an urge to yell the word lots. cats being indoor or outdoor is relevant to this thread where you, the op, brought it up in the first place. if you didn't think it was relevant maybe you shouldn't have said
Quote:
...one would have to keep the animal inside at all times (which is also a direct contradiction of cat life)...

it doesn't change the fact that there are more dangers for an indoor/outdoor cat than for an an indoor only cat. in general don't think there's anything wrong wit keeping a cat indoors or letting her go outside (if you're not in the city anyway) but i find it rather naive to think that there are the same amount of dangers for both kinds of cat
zirpkatze is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off