crying cat advice - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

every single evening this entire year one of my cats has been meowing for hours. i can't take it anymore and i don't know how to stop it.
he used to be indoor/outdoor before getting hit by a car last year and he'd always go outside in the evenings. i'm almost positive that's why he's crying since he doesn't seem to be in any pain and he only cries at night.
i figured he'd carry on for a few weeks and get over it but it hasn't slowed. any advice would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any advice for dealing with the emotional issues of your cat, but there's a little trick I've used with cats that were in heat.

(Please no lectures about spaying. I worked for a no-kill animal shelter for 3 years and I'd bring my work home with me sometimes. At times, I would have a foster kitty in heat, yelling through the night, who had simply not been spayed YET)

Anyways...

I would take something like canned cat food, peanut butter, anything a little messy, and dab it around on the kitty. I'd smear it on her forearms and thighs, maybe a little on the tops of her feet, etc... She'd get busy cleaning herself off, and by the time she was done cleaning herself, I'd have fallen asleep. Its a temporary solution to quiet them, but its effective.

But be warned, there's always a chance you'll wind pu with a kitty who won't bother cleaning it off, and then you've got a noisy kitty that also needs a bath.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#3 Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried taking him for walks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-17-2011, 04:13 PM

Is the cat in heat or anything? sometimes they cry when that's an issue.
If the cat wants outside it could be a sign that he's bored and hasn't exerted enough energy throughout the day. Have you considered getting a cat harness and leash and bringing him around in the yard at times you have a half hour or something? You can also look up different ways to stimulate your cat mentally, so they have something to do and forget about their old habit of crying. I've seen people train their cats to jump through hoops, but even getting a box and creating tunnels could be a fun experience. Get creative and let your cat have some fun -sometimes they need a new treat/experience.

goodluck
#5 Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
mlp
Banned

Have you tried hard play, such as with a toy dangling from a pole, a laser pointer, etc., to distract and tire him out? Some of mine love chasing bubbles too.
#6 Old 05-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I don't have any advice for dealing with the emotional issues of your cat, but there's a little trick I've used with cats that were in heat.

(Please no lectures about spaying. I worked for a no-kill animal shelter for 3 years and I'd bring my work home with me sometimes. At times, I would have a foster kitty in heat, yelling through the night, who had simply not been spayed YET)

Anyways...

I would take something like canned cat food, peanut butter, anything a little messy, and dab it around on the kitty. I'd smear it on her forearms and thighs, maybe a little on the tops of her feet, etc... She'd get busy cleaning herself off, and by the time she was done cleaning herself, I'd have fallen asleep. Its a temporary solution to quiet them, but its effective.

But be warned, there's always a chance you'll wind pu with a kitty who won't bother cleaning it off, and then you've got a noisy kitty that also needs a bath.

i'll keep that in mind the next time he really annoys me. some days are worse than others

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

Have you tried taking him for walks?

i tried that for a while. he wasn't really into it. i think being attached to a human limits his ability to stalk things which is what he likes to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwolf View Post

Is the cat in heat or anything? sometimes they cry when that's an issue.
If the cat wants outside it could be a sign that he's bored and hasn't exerted enough energy throughout the day. Have you considered getting a cat harness and leash and bringing him around in the yard at times you have a half hour or something? You can also look up different ways to stimulate your cat mentally, so they have something to do and forget about their old habit of crying. I've seen people train their cats to jump through hoops, but even getting a box and creating tunnels could be a fun experience. Get creative and let your cat have some fun -sometimes they need a new treat/experience.

goodluck

he sleeps all day and wakes up at 5pm, always has, so i know he's not bored during the day. he's hard to please. all the other cats have favourite activities or toys but i still have not found anything he can do to entertain himself. he likes to cuddle and he's pretty laid back in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Have you tried hard play, such as with a toy dangling from a pole, a laser pointer, etc., to distract and tire him out? Some of mine love chasing bubbles too.

i used to use the laser pointer a lot and work him with those fishing pole looking toys. since he got injured i'm a bit afraid to get him going too much. i don't know how strong his false hip joint is. i should probably ask the vet about it. getting that activity back at full strength would probably make him happy
#7 Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Yell back?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#8 Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Is your cat part Siamese? I have a Siamese who yowls and cries ALL THE TIME. It's a breed trait.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd suggest lots of playing. Tire him out. I have a very vocal kitty; he would meow until the cows came home if I didn't play with him every night. He looooooves to chase his treats and his dry food. I typically sit on the floor, and sort of rub the treat back and forth on the tile so it gets his attention and once he's in pounce mode, I whip it across the floor. He goes flying and runs right back into position for more. Do that with a small handful of food/treats and I bet he will quiet down for ya.

Try ignoring the crying as much as you can tolerate as well. Hopefully he will give up at that point!

Good luck.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#10 Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Yell back?

i've meowed back. he looks at me like i'm crazy and carries on

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Is your cat part Siamese? I have a Siamese who yowls and cries ALL THE TIME. It's a breed trait.

no, he's a regular domestic shorthair. his sister loves to talk though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

I'd suggest lots of playing. Tire him out. I have a very vocal kitty; he would meow until the cows came home if I didn't play with him every night. He looooooves to chase his treats and his dry food. I typically sit on the floor, and sort of rub the treat back and forth on the tile so it gets his attention and once he's in pounce mode, I whip it across the floor. He goes flying and runs right back into position for more. Do that with a small handful of food/treats and I bet he will quiet down for ya.

Try ignoring the crying as much as you can tolerate as well. Hopefully he will give up at that point!

Good luck.

there's no way i can get out the treats without getting mobbed by the herd, lol.
#11 Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

well, i had one-on-one play with him today until he quit and the meowing is as bad as ever
#12 Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Hm, have you tried getting him a kitty harness and walking him then? (It's hard because they like to go underneath things) But some cats really take to it I've heard.

Otherwise they only thing I can suggest is what I do for my used-to-be-outdoors cats who cries a lot... I pet him constantly, and pet him up until the time I go to sleep trying to calm him down. (I'm probably reinforcing the behavior - but he stops while I'm petting him)
#13 Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you have a fenced yard where you could build a safe-enclosure or get cat-proof fencing?

This post makes me sad as I'm generally opposed to keeping cats indoor because I know they're less happy than cats who can go outdoors, yet all of my cats are indoor-only cats because I also know I live in an unsafe neighborhood. I wish I could let mine outdoors safely, and not on a leash which I think defeats the purpose of being able to run and play and chase prey.
#14 Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Do you have a fenced yard where you could build a safe-enclosure or get cat-proof fencing?

This post makes me sad as I'm generally opposed to keeping cats indoor because I know they're less happy than cats who can go outdoors, yet all of my cats are indoor-only cats because I also know I live in an unsafe neighborhood. I wish I could let mine outdoors safely, and not on a leash which I think defeats the purpose of being able to run and play and chase prey.

i have a patio they go in. it's now grass but they get to be outdoors. there's birds and squirrels that show up right there as well. i agree that this is sad. i want him to be happy and i know how much he enjoyed going outside.
#15 Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i have a patio they go in. it's now grass but they get to be outdoors. there's birds and squirrels that show up right there as well. i agree that this is sad. i want him to be happy and i know how much he enjoyed going outside.

My cat Boon was an indoor / outdoor cat. That had nothing to do with his howling at night though - because he did that inside and outside, all his life. I think with some cats it's just something they do. I don't think it was a cry of saddness or longing - because whenever I approached him after he did this he was always purring madly. There are also strays who come by and do this sort of thing from time to time. Perhaps it's a territorial thing?

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
#16 Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I wish I could let them outside too =/ the few times he's escaped he came back bloodied from cat fights. His ear is permanently deformed now.
#17 Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 AM

My cat Chubbs is the same, a day of sleeping then about 5-6pm starts crying at the kitchen door. He's indoors, and the only time he's left the house is in a carry to the vets.

What seems to work is catnip, dried or otherwise which we rub onto his favorite ball, he throws it around and then chills out. When Chubbs was in a leg cast, he could meter the amount of play himself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page