Cats: Indoor or Outdoor? (PETA Article) - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

I think someone mentioned already that over here most rescues will not allow you to take on a cat unless you assure them that the cat will go outside.

Opposite here. Have to agree to keep them inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suezo View Post

Opposite here. Have to agree to keep them inside.

Here too. Our humane society specifically advocates against allowing them out, as it's against the law to let your cat wander.
#93 Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a cat, but if I did, I would let him or her go outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 02-18-2011, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

Here too. Our humane society specifically advocates against allowing them out, as it's against the law to let your cat wander.

That's so strange to me.

I was thinking again today how sad my particular cats (I know some people have cats who prefer to be indoor) would be if they were stuck inside. I came out the house this morning and one of my kitties was playing in the garden, for some reason she miaows a lot and gets really excited when she sees me, and she was running up and down on the grass in this big open space and then looking at me like 'look how fast I can run!' it was so cute. she followed me up towards the bus stop running around like a wee mad lady, and I could just see she loved being outside. She likes coming to meet me along the street when I'm coming home sometimes, she'll see me from really far away then I just see this wee spec racing towards me getting bigger and bigger and then I hear her miaowing loudly while she runs and then when she reaches me she runs round me nearly making me trip up. I can't imagine her staying cooped up indoors.
#95 Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

You know, they adjust quite easily. My almost inlaws had always had an outdoor cat. He was a "good mouser" who spent most of his time outdoors. When they moved to a larger city, and into a condo, he had to convert to being indoors only. He loves it, he's turned into a total lap cat. He now loves to play with toys, spend more time with his humans, and demand that they cater to his every whim. I think the bigger adjustment was for his humans to get used to a litterbox.
#96 Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibabble View Post

You know, they adjust quite easily. My almost inlaws had always had an outdoor cat. He was a "good mouser" who spent most of his time outdoors. When they moved to a larger city, and into a condo, he had to convert to being indoors only. He loves it, he's turned into a total lap cat. He now loves to play with toys, spend more time with his humans, and demand that they cater to his every whim. I think the bigger adjustment was for his humans to get used to a litterbox.

I'm sure some cats do adjust but when my cat had to stay indoors for a while after she broke her pelvis she hated it and was constantly trying to sneak past us at the door.
#97 Old 02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

I'm sure some cats do adjust but when my cat had to stay indoors for a while after she broke her pelvis she hated it and was constantly trying to sneak past us at the door.

The door will be enticing to a cat that's used to being outside until it realizes the outdoors are off-limits. Then it adjusts, which can take anything from a few days to several months, maybe even longer for one that's lived outside exclusively for an extended period of time. How long was yours confined to the inside, and were there other cats that were allowed to go outside during that period of time?
#98 Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

All of the cats in my care are indoor cats for many reasons, which many people have already listed. I take them out on leashes and one even walks on a leash (we look pretty funny). I also am going to have a outdoor cat enclosure for nice days when I go outside so can they. They even have them that connect to a windo so the cat can go in and out as he or she pleases, while protected.

I just have seen too many cats come into the humane socieities and vet clinics I work at that have been hurt or killed. Perry (one of my cats) came into our emergency clinic after being hit by a car a week prior to being found. He laid outside unable to walk due to his leg being broken. We had to amputate it but he is healthy and happy now

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#99 Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
mlp
Banned

Twenty six cats in this household, all but five of whom were outdoor cats, some feral, at one point. There is only one who tries to get out the door, and he does it because he likes to prove his superiority to humans. (He hides under Tascha, the Great Pyrenees, and if I don't immediately come out to collect him, he paces back and forth, to make sure I've actually seen that he outsmarted me.

With the rest, I've never had to shoo them away from the door or in any way train them not to go out - they just have no interest in going through the door.

ETA: This was the case even before they had their own outdoor enclosure, which they access at will.
#100 Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Jimmy B. makes a dash for the door, but it's not a wanting to be outside thing. It's more a case of a wanting to be wherever it is that you are going. He doesn't do well with the alone. Both Jimmy and Sebastien were strays and adapted quickly to indoor life.
#101 Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suezo View Post

The door will be enticing to a cat that's used to being outside until it realizes the outdoors are off-limits. Then it adjusts, which can take anything from a few days to several months, maybe even longer for one that's lived outside exclusively for an extended period of time. How long was yours confined to the inside, and were there other cats that were allowed to go outside during that period of time?

A few months, but yeah our other girl was coming in and out during that time. I still feel my particular cats are happier with the option to go outdoors, my house isn't tiny but I still don't think there's the space indoors for one of them to run about like a little cheetah as much as she likes to, and for the other to climb things as much as she likes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page