After waiting almost 12 years, cat at Kansas humane society has a new home. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Figured I'd put this here rather than veg/animal issues.

Quote:
Nearly 12 years ago, someone illegally abandoned a tuxedo cat at the Humane Society of Greater Kansas City.

It wasnt the first time and probably wont be the last, but the handwritten note attached to the pet carrier made this cat different.

Sorry to drop her off like this. Her name is Nikki and shes about 7 mths old. Where I live I cant keep her she was getting beat on I hoped pray there is nothing wrong with her. I have no place to go so I brought her to you. Please make sure she finds a good home. Never been outside or around dogs, only children. Thank you.

On Tuesday the Humane Society finally sent Nikki, who was renamed Michelle years ago, to a forever home.

http://www.kansas.com/2010/10/19/154...at-humane.html

Wowza.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

That's such a sad story. A good ending, but so sad to think how long she's been there. She seems to have found someone who really loves cats, so that's good.
#3 Old 10-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

What a lovely story with a happy ending for the cat at last. This made me cry happy tears.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad she finally has the happy ending she deserves.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#5 Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

She's ADORABLE, how could she not be adopted for so many years? I would have taken her. Every time I go to Petsmart and they have cats there, I'm always drawn to the ones who don't want to be pet. It makes me want them more, makes me think they're sad.
#6 Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

That cat has the sweetest face.

Dana, I definitely get your point about reaching out to shyer cats. My most recent adopted cat was the same age as my other two adoptees whom I had at the time (6 years old). She wasn't hostile, but was sort of lethargic, and being that she was an older cat, I decided to take her in. She's a great cat- very loveable.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#7 Old 10-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

You can't judge a cat by the way they look in a prison cell. I would be depressed and lethargic looking too if I had to sit in adoption "cells" all the time.
#8 Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Depressing yet amazing story. I'm so glad she found a loving home after all those years. Thumbs up to the humane society for taking such good care of her all these years. People are always illegally dumping animals off at my local shelters especially since most of them are too full to accept new animals. People figure they'll just abandon them there after hours.

I'm always drawn to the older "discounted" cats in shelters, the ones that have been there for the longest because I fear what will happen to them if they aren't adopted out.
#9 Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

You can't judge a cat by the way they look in a prison cell. I would be depressed and lethargic looking too if I had to sit in adoption "cells" all the time.

I feel bad for them too. I always visit them when I go into PetCo, talk to them, give them some real attention instead of the typical grabby-little-kid attention the usually get. Their cells are usually well-decorated with toys and litter boxes and a nice cozy bed and stuffed animals to snuggle, and I'm sure they let them out for exercise every once in a while, but I still have to feel bad because it seems cramped and sad. The good thing about it is that they are encouraging adoption instead of buying bred animals... at least for the cats. They still have tons of breeder animals.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#10 Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

^^ That's what I do too. I like that our local Petsmarts have the adoption centers built in. The local Petcos have the local rescues set up. I think that's great, now if only they could limit the amount of small animals, fish, birds, and reptiles, they sold all would be well I actually adopted my rat there, someone had brought him in and I just had to have him.
#11 Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Ira
Banned

Good for the cat, now she will finally have the home she deserves

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page