We just went to the vet... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2004, 12:29 AM

And my 13 year old cat is blind in one eye...

I noticed something wrong with it yesterday...

There's 3 things wrong with it... and he has a cataract(sp) in it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Aww, I'm sorry to hear this. I hope he's doing okay.

How is the vision in his other eye? I'm sure he'll adjust fine to sight in one eye, but I would ask the vet about getting diet supplements so he's getting the needed nutrients to make sure he's at optimal optical health.
#3 Old 01-28-2004, 01:27 AM

It's just he's got so much else wrong with him too

and he's getting kinda old..

Annnnd.. if it happens to the other eye we have to get him put down!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

We have a 13 year old Cocker Spaniel who is blind and deaf. (She lost her sight a couple of years ago and actually her eyes are completely gone now which is kind of gross). But so far she's doing okay. She has a cancerous tumor on her neck, and several malignant growths in other areas. She's my parents dog now, since I moved out, and I'm always amazed when I go over to see how well she's still doing. I know it's only a matter of time though before we'll have to put her down, but for now she's not suffering and is doing okay. She bumps into the walls all the time and can't hear a dang thing, but has managed quite well. I hope your cat fairs as well or even better. Give him lots of hugs.
#5 Old 01-28-2004, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 01-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry about your kitty.
#7 Old 01-28-2004, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to hear that. My kitty, Baby is about 13. I have had it in the back of my head for a couple years that at any moment she'd start to deteriorate. Luckily no sign of that yet. If they still have their bodily functions, have no pain and still enjoy life, I say let them be. If it's just blindness in both eyes, I see no reason to put him to sleep! Is it some sort of neurological thing?
#8 Old 01-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

Sorry to hear that. My kitty, Baby is about 13. I have had it in the back of my head for a couple years that at any moment she'd start to deteriorate. Luckily no sign of that yet. If they still have their bodily functions, have no pain and still enjoy life, I say let them be. If it's just blindness in both eyes, I see no reason to put him to sleep! Is it some sort of neurological thing?

Sorry to hear about your cat Danny, but I agree with Christy13 - even if he goes blind in both eyes, that's not a reason to put him to sleep! As long as you keep him indoors, and refrain from moving furniture around and so on, he'd probably cope wonderfully.
#9 Old 01-28-2004, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry your kitty is blind in one eye. I agree with everyone who says that he doesn't have to be put to sleep just cause he's blind. I know a lady with a 4 y/o cat who's not only blind, but has no eyes, and he does quite well. Just don't let him outside. Cats other senses are strong and they can manage with a variety of handicapps.

Could you take your cat to a veterinary opthomologist? Maybe there's something that can be done to prevent the same problem in the other eye, or to treat the cataract.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 01-28-2004, 05:25 PM

I wouldn't put him to sleep just because of that! I really don't agree with doing that unless he'd be in pain otherwise...

But my parents are like "It'd be too dangerous if he got outside" which is kinda true.. cause he'd get lost and it would be really sad...
#11 Old 01-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry about your Cat Danny. I'm seeing my cat age as well - she is almost 7 years old now.
#12 Old 01-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry about your kitty

I'm sure you wouldn't put him to sleep unless you thought it was really necessary
#13 Old 01-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

mine was 18 by the time we had to help her go, her kidneys were failing so there wasn't much we could do, she was all bones.

i do agree that loss of vision isn't serious enough to have him put down though, as long as he's not suffering. you all just have to make sure he doesn't get outside. and really he'll probably understand that he's disabled and won't want to go anyway. they're smart enough to know when to avoid danger usually.

what kind of food is he on? when my boyfriend's dog started to go downhill and her eyes were glazing and she wasn't seeing well, they changed her food and she had a huge turnaround, was seeing better and was more bright eyed and energetic.

i'd try a high quality food like nutro and make sure it's the one meant for seniors. there are supplements you can get also that are a liquid, you just add a spoonful to the food or water, it may help and doesn't cost much. older cats and dogs do need more care and better nutrition to keep them going, just like older people.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 01-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I am so sorry to hear this news. Please keep us updated. Animals are usually more resilient than humans!
#15 Old 01-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I am sorry to hear about your cat.

But on the bright side... My mother and I were just talking about how blindness is not nearly as bad for most animals as for humans. She showed me this story about a woman who fed a completely blind racoon that had litter after litter of babies for years- got around fine. They use hearing and smell.
#16 Old 01-29-2004, 08:38 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this, Danny.
#17 Old 01-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to hear about your cat, hopefully he will retain sight in one eye for a while.
#18 Old 01-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKass View Post

It's just he's got so much else wrong with him too

and he's getting kinda old..

Annnnd.. if it happens to the other eye we have to get him put down!!!

I had a dog when I was growing up that had cataracts in both eyes and was blind. He was fine though, he was probably 13 when we had to put him down due to severe arthritis but he got along very well for several years being blind. The only time he had issues was when he went outside in the yard when it was snowing to go to the bathroom. He had trouble finding his way back in because he couldn't depend on his sense of smell.

So sorry to hear about your kitty, I hope you don't have to put him down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page