Dog With Fleas, Need Pain/irritation Relief Help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

My poor dog recently had a flea problem. She's on Frontline, her last dose wasn't even 3 weeks before (wasn't late on her dose either), and she became infested. Now she has tons of bumps and rashes all over her body (mostly lower). We've given her 2 baths, I don't think she has any actual fleas on her anymore. When we visited a vet in Texas (recently moved to Florida), they told us she's probably allergic to their saliva and gave us a steroid to help with the itching and irritation. I lost it in the move, but do have Hydroxyzine Pamoate, which was prescribed to me by a vet in California when she was seen for seasonal allergies. Do you think it would be safe to give her a dose? It's not expired and according to 1800 Petmeds, it's an antihistamine (see link below). Sadly, she won't be able to get Frontline again until tomorrow since she was just bathed. Any other suggestions would be great, thanks!

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Hydroxyzi...prod10598.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

My little wiener dog had a horrible problem with allergies. She wound up taking cortisone shots which only helped for a little while. I feel for ya! Maybe you could call the vet in CA.? I also remember the vet suggested spraying the yard for fleas. It's tough living in hot and humid climate like Fla. Fleas are a constant battle. Good luck!
#3 Old 06-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

If it was prescribed to your dog when she had allergies prior, and if it's not expired, it would be fine to give to her. If you're still worried, you should call your vet and make sure.

Also, it's safe to give dogs Benadryl that is meant for humans for allergies, so if you have any of that on hand, you could give her that. The dosage for dogs is 1/2 mg per lb of body weight every 8 hours. You could also give buffered Aspirin to her if she's in pain. The ONLY human painkiller that is safe to give dogs is buffered Aspirin at a dosage of 5 mg per lb of body weight every 12 hours (Aspirin should NEVER be given to cats).

I hope your doggy feels better!

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM
mlp
Banned

Agree on the Benadryl. I give it to Jack all summer long to help him with various allergies.

There's a new flea medication that's safe to give in conjunction with Frontline and other similar flea treatments. I think it's called Comfortitis. You may want to discuss it with your vet, and use it when your dog is likely to be in a flea infested area.

ETA: I also highly recommend keeping 1-2 mothballs in your vacuum cleaner bag/canister and vacuum at least once a day. (I usually vacuu 3-4 times per day during flea season.) The moth balls ensure that any fleas you vacuum up don't escape and procreate further.
#5 Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

The dose for benedryl is 1-2mg/pound every 8-12hrs (Plumb's veterinary drug handbook). Some dogs don't respond well enough to it and need something stronger, like a steroid. You should not give your dog asprin if you think she might need steroid for comfort. If the pain is that bad the she's not responding to antihistamines, she probably has a secondary skin infection that needs antibiotics. You can try to find an OTC calming shampoo with oatmeal or sometimes low doses of benedryl or cortisone. If she's that bad, a vet visit may be required.

Since your dog has flea allergies you want to prevent them from biting as much as possible. There's two good products out there that will help with this. One is Comfortis, it kills fleas so quickly, they don't bite multiple times. This reduces the total amount of allergens your dog is exposed to. The second product is Vectra 3D (Firstshield from Banfield). It kills and repels fleas, ticks and mosquitos (plus other pests). These two products are only obtainable through vets, but they are better than the other products out there (advantage, frontline, advantix, hartz, etc). Since you live in warm environment, you need to use flea prevention year round. It's easier to prevent infestations than control them and your dog suffers if you don't.
#6 Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM
mlp
Banned

Cheekywhiskers, I try to minimize the amount of "pesticide" types of medications I use on my animals. Ticks are not an issue where we're currently living, so I try to focus on heartworm prevention and then flea prevention during the warm months. What products would you recommend for the situation I've described?
#7 Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I understand wanting to limit pesticides, but you also have to give adequate protection from parasites as well. Parasitologists are starting to tell us vets that the avermectins are starting to not be as effective in preventing heartworm disease. So to increase your pet's protection, you need to include something to repel mosquitos as well. The current best product is Vectra 3d/firstshield. The effects of HW is worse than what a pestacide can do when used at the correct dose. Avermectin is a class of drug that includes all major heartworm preventatives: ivermectin, selemectin, milbemycin, moxidectin, etc. The compound that repels mosquitos also repels ticks.
#8 Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 PM
mlp
Banned

Cheekywhiskers, I have some concerns about Vectra. Summit, the company that manufactures it, is a sister company of Hartz - both are subsidiaries of the same parent corporation. There's speculation that Summit was created specifically to get around the really bad reputation Hartz developed over the years. I have read that the chief scientist from Hartz started up the Vectra line for Summit.

Vectra may be a fine product, but the Hartz association frankly makes me nervous. I'll look into it some more.
#9 Old 06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Pleas, check into it more. I've seen the product used with good results. Maybe they want to shed the image of Harts. If they can do well with Vecta, maybe they will abandon Hartz.
#10 Old 06-17-2010, 08:24 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers' date='17 June 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1276831302' post='2660267 View Post

Pleas, check into it more.

I will, and thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page