My dad wants to kick out the dogs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

ok i dont know if this si the right place to post this or not but im having a problem. For the past year my dad has been building our house from his own hands and now that its mostly finished he doesn't want the dogs inside "ruining" the floor, they dog pee, they dont leave suprised, they just shed. I dont think its fair, i could sweep everyday, maybe he would allow them in then, but he is allowing the cat to stay inside? she sheds just as much if not more than the dogs.

He is going to let them in so far on one condition, that they stay in my room, so its either their stuck outside or confinded to my room.

I cant function right without them either! i start to worry not knowing where my dog is and i am conforted when she is around me. does anyone have any ideas on how i could get my dad to let my dog inside? my best idea is to promise to sweep everynight, and ask why the cat is allowed in but not my dog. PLus to tell him how much it affects me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

what kind of dogs do you have?

(I'm running out the door so I'll post more later.)
#3 Old 01-21-2004, 05:48 PM

if your in nevada and you havea a fence what are you worried about ? she will be in either the back yard.. or the house ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3gan View Post

if your in nevada and you havea a fence what are you worried about ? she will be in either the back yard.. or the house ?

we do have a fence, but she can get out, and its for the cows and goats, i worry about the coyotes, or that she will get ran over or shot.

kpickel- i have a sussex spaniel(my bbaby girl) and a cocker spaniel mix
#5 Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I couldn't fathom keeping a cocker spaniel or sussex spaniel outside. Those are not outside dogs. I don't know what being Nevada has to do with anything. Dogs thrive on attention and they want to be around people, they'd be miserable outside. But you have some options.

First of all your dad said they could stay in your bedroom, so worst case scenario, do that. Take em outside for walks and play time so they don't get bored, but they'll probably be happier to be staying in your room, even if it's small, than being alone outside.

But first you could try reasoning with your dad. Tell him how you're prepared to deal with the shedding. Those kind of spaniels need constant grooming anyway, so agree to brush out their coats daily. Do your dogs shed a lot? You could get a shedding brush and use that outside. But mostly just normally daily brushing will help with the shedding. If you live where it's hot and humid you can keep their coats shaved. Agreeing to sweep the floor daily is a good thing too. Do you parents see you as reliable with chores like that, or do they think it's an empty promise? If so you might need to take on some consequences. For example, "and if I don't sweep the floors every day after school then I don't get any allowance." Secondly, get a lot of information together. Pull information from websites such as http://www.unchainyourdog.org/ and http://www.helpinganimals.com/. Dad's are often persuaded by financial statements. Cocker Spaniels are susceptible to skin conditions when left outdoor for days on end, especially if weather conditions are severe, too much sun. If it's hot and humid, especially in the summer, dogs are prone to heat strokes and dehydration. As you mentioned small dogs like yours that are left outside are open to attacks from predators that could leave some costly wounds. If you forget to give heartworm preventative for only one month, having them outside means they have great exposure to that disease, among others. Call a vet and get the costs to treat some of these conditions and spell it all out for your dad. Is he willing to spend $1500 on heartworm treatment because he's leaving his dogs outside 24/7, etc. Get all your information together, print it out or hand write it so that it looks nice and present it to your parents during dinner. If you have other family members try and get them on your side beforehand.

If this was me and my dad wouldn't listen to reason, then as a last resort I would protest, of sorts, by pithcing a tent and sleeping outside with the dogs day in and day out. If it's safe enough for the dogs, then it's safe enough for me, right.

I can understand not wanting to have a new house that you just built yourself getting messed up. But kicking the dogs outside is not an acceptable solution. Tell him you understand his concerns. But provide some alternative solutions, brushing their hair, sweeping daily, etc. And good luck.
#6 Old 01-22-2004, 01:28 PM

" I don't know what being Nevada has to do with anything" well unlike where i am from the dog wouldnt be subjected to extremly cold weather. and from what i know of nevada you dont get cold weather.
#7 Old 01-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

thank you kpickell these actually might help! I am reliable with my chores, but i diont get an allowance so i couldnt say that.. but maybe that i couldnt drive or, the dogs have to stay outside. they do shed a good deal, so i think brushin everyday would work well, when it gets a little warmer i could shave the sussex, but the cocker mix is short haired, but still sheds, i dont think shaving would help, brushing is probly best for her.
#8 Old 01-22-2004, 07:26 PM

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
#9 Old 01-22-2004, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3gan View Post

" I don't know what being Nevada has to do with anything" well unlike where i am from the dog wouldnt be subjected to extremly cold weather. and from what i know of nevada you dont get cold weather.

youd be suprised how cold nevada is especially in the mountains all around where i happen to live. las vegas alone gets in the 20s at night right now
#10 Old 01-23-2004, 12:39 AM

I would build a kick ass, as big as possible dog run for the dog during the day, and then at night when you are home the dog could stay in your room with you. If your dad objects to the dog only walking through the house twice a day then he is (IMO) wacko. If you have shelter for the dog from the weather and cold, and it is completely fenced in with 6 or 8 foot fences then the dog should be safe. You'll just have to brush the fur and clean the ears/eyes/feet on a regular basis.

The dogs my family use to have were allowed in the house when we were home, but when we were gone they were out in the yard. We also had a sliding door doggie door, so they could go out to pee whenever they wanted.. hope you can figure somehting out though.
#11 Old 01-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Well i had the talk with him last night and he agreed that if i sweep every other day and keep my dog well groomed, and that they only go in the living room and my room they can stay inside im so happy thanks for the help everyone!

We do in a way have a huge ass dog run, where the cows and sheep are, but there are holes and stuff where my dog could easily slipp out.. ive asked my parents for an electric fence but they havnt gotten one yet, im thinking as soon as i get a job, thats what i will be buying though because we cant really build a run in our front yard, its been tried and my dad doesnt like it, and anywhere else is just weird shaped.

p.s yes it does get VERY cold around here, and in the summer deathly hot. i dont want my dogs in that kind of tempurates..
#12 Old 01-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

That's very good. I'm happy for you, and the dogs. : )
#13 Old 01-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you! me too its kind of funny because when the dogs came in they were walking around like they were walking on eggshells, like "am i supposed to be in here?* it was so cute!
#14 Old 01-23-2004, 11:27 AM

Well done

The dogs will be very pleased

Laura

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page