I Saw a Flock of Peacocks! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in an area of Ft. Lauderdale called Victoria Park. It's a pretty and "grown" neighborhood, lots of mature trees, foliage and flowers. We also have an array of local exotic animals, like iguanas, spider monkeys, quaker parrots, and peacocks.

I just returned from taking my daughter to school. I haven't seen the peacocks in a while, and I turned down a street I don't usually take. Low and behold, there they were walking down the sidewalk, about 8 of them! I just had to stop the car and stare a few moments. They were so beautiful! They made my day.

....and to think that about a year ago, a resident shot and killed one for making too much noise. That man was crucified, let me tell you! The press, the neighbors, the judge...that man was eventually run out of the neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

awww, that would make my day too. Heck, I like seeing the flocks of Canadian Geese that are pretty common around here.
#3 Old 01-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool! I saw wild turkeys a few times when I lived in the countryside, it was great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, wild geese and turkeys! I'd love to see that.

In another close-by neighborhood, there is only one peacock, and he is very set in his routine. A friend of mine lives there, and every afternoon at like 5:30, the peacock comes right up to the back doors and peeks in. My friend feeds him birdseed, then he goes to his favorite tree at another house down the street and goes to sleep. I love to see stuff like that!
#5 Old 01-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Ohh, Peacocks are sooo beautiful! Did they have their feathers out?
#6 Old 01-20-2004, 04:49 PM

What a wonderful sight it must have been!

BTW, there's a word for a group of peacocks that I think is very fitting: "an ostentation of peacocks." Another one that I really like is "an exultation of larks."
#7 Old 01-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Isnt that an 80's band?
#8 Old 01-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

no, but I do see Flocks of Seagulls at the beach all the time. they sing better than the band.
#9 Old 01-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

no, but I do see Flocks of Seagulls at the beach all the time. they sing better than the band.

I drove down that street and saw the peacocks again this morning! This time they were hanging out in someone's yard. There seemed to be mostly peahens and two males, from what I could see. One had his tail feathers up but they weren't fully grown in yet (cause they shed them yearly). But they were all still so purty!!
#10 Old 01-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

birds are cool. i get on well with "murders" of crows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page