Please Help! Cat peeing on bed...and on me! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 AM

Hi--I am desperate for some help on how to get my cat (about 2 1/2 years old) to stop peeing on my bed. We recently moved into a bigger house about a month ago and about a week ago our only pet, Sylvestor, peed on our bed in the middle of the night (while we were sleeping on it!). Needless to say I was not happy to wake up smelling like cat urine at 2:30 in the morning but I shrugged it off thinking he must have just forgotten that his litterbox is in the basement now.

But just now, he did it again! I am tired of waking up wet and annoyed in the middle of the night. He has never had this kind of problem before and I just don't know what to do as he pees on the bed and then comes up to cuddle with us. It almost seems like he knows he did something wrong, but he still did it anyway.

Please someone, it's 3am and I am desperate!

Thanks and have a fantastic week!

Also, any ideas on how to get cat urine smell out of a mattress? I bought a "waterproof" matress cover after the first accident, but it still seeped through tonight.

Thanks again!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I think sometimes the stress of a move can cause litterbox issues for cats.

Is there a cage or small room you can put him in with his litterbox during the night? He might not like that, but urination issues have to be dealt with.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

First comes a trip to the vet to rule out any health issues that could be causing this. An exam and urinalysis at a minimum, but blood work would also be good. Health problems can lead to behavioural changes so you want to make sure that there's nothing causing this.

If he gets a clean bill of health there are several things you can do. First, try adding in some additional litter boxes. The general rule is one more than the number of cats in your house. Try experimenting with different styles of boxes as well as different litters. One of mine refuses to use anything but a fine grained, clumping litter.

There is a product called Feliway that can help reduce anxiety levels. It can be purchased in a spray or a diffuser, the diffuser covers roughly 700 sq ft. I used a spray when my cat was having issues, I found it effective to spray the areas he was urinating on as well as his favourite sleeping spots.

Finally, the behavioural drugs. Sometimes a short course of medication is sufficient to get past the anxiety and help your cat settle in to the new living situation. My guy, Simon, went on medication right after we adopted a new dog and also after we moved. After a few weeks of medication we were able to wean him off and haven't had any additional problems.

For the mattress mix 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 drop of dish soap in an open container. Saturate and area that is 3-4x the size of the original stain. Let dry. You may need to repeat.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

What made you move the litterbox? If this happened right after, he's probably mad.

But still, a vet check is always in order. Put a large clean bag over his litterbox (with just a little litter in the box-inside the bag) and lock him in a bathroom overnight. Hopefully he'll pee in it, and you can spoon some in a ziploc bag. Or, you can get some plastic pellets from your vet to put in a very clean box to get a urine sample.

It does sound like he doesn't like the change. You can try putting the box back.

Good luck.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I would put an additional litter box in your room for now. He may have a medical condition, be mad about the move, or disliking the fact that he has to go to the basement now.

To get the urine smell out I use this mixture: 8 cups of water, 1 tsp vodka, 25-30 drops eucalyptus essential oil. Mix together in a spray bottle. But you might just want do dump most of it right on your bed. My cat peed on my carpet once and I poured this over it and it immediately took away the smell.
#6 Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Banned

if he's peed there once, the pee-smell will still be there for his super-powered catnose to pick up, and so in his mind its an acceptable spot to pee- it smells like cat washroom. you should get a super-enzyme pee-stain remover from the pet supplies store- natures miracle makes a load of them (there are other brands too, of course): http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/cat...dor%20removers

the basement is probably not only rather far away from the bedroom, but its also a trip through rather unfamiliar territory with nobody accompanying him to watch his back. imagine how you'd feel if you had to trek through a dark unfamiliar house 5 times the size of yours, where there could be evil bandits waiting to jump out on you, all alone, at 3am- when you needed a wee. its not really suprising that he's choosing the bed instead.

you should ideally have a litter box on each floor. put one in your room, or within eyeshot of the bed in an ajoining hall or bathroom (with a wedged open door) for a while. you can always very gradually move it to a more discrete location once he's calmed down, but right now you want it to be very obvious and closeby. if you catch him about to wee or just after weeing in the bed again- pick him up, and put him gently infront of the litter box (don't push, plonk, or force him into it, just remind him that its there with a visual clue).
#7 Old 04-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I think our bathroom is too small to fit another litterbox, but I can probably squeeze one into the master closet. Guess it's off to the pet store to buy a litterbox and some cleaner!

Thanks again!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
#8 Old 04-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

good luck!
#9 Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Hello !

My cat Claude was doing that for a while and she was peeing blood as well. She had an UTI and rec'd treatment from the vet. No more pee problem, so if I could just get her to stop biting and scratching !!!

sigh ...........
#10 Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions and help. We were able to get most of the cat pee smell out of the matress, and put a waterproof cover on it (just in case )

And we have been accident free for 2 weeks, since we added a litterbox to the main level.

Thanks again for all your help!

#11 Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Banned

yay! .... happy kitty.... happy shorty.... sounds good all around to me. nice thinking with the waterproofing too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page