The cats are fighting [maybe just playing?] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a shelter cat that lives with me for the past 10 years and recently (3 months ago) I took in a cat that was feral who is about 5 years old. The x-feral is extremely laid back and keeps to himself most of the time. I should add that the other cat is also very easy going.

Lately, I noticed the two cats are playing, but it's been getting kind of rough. The x-feral is a huge cat who, although very laid back and even tempered, definitely knows how to handle himself. So needless to say, he is getting the upper hand over the other smaller cat and it always ends up with the smaller cat sort of making a noise and running off. On two occasions that I've seen it ended with the smaller cat hissing at the larger cat at the end.

So, I'm new to owning two cats who engage like this and I'm just wondering if I should be concerned or is this just normal and they're just sorting out who will "rule the roost" sort of thing. If it is a point of concern, what would be the best way(s) to handle it? I just want to add that in between this incidents they seem to get along fine. O.K. well I guess that's it.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Banned

Sounds like a domination exercise. One of the cats is determined to get the other to 'submit' to the dominance of the other. The other cat either will do it or not and it could be a long term conflict. One cat I knew years ago simply would not submit to a big tom cat that was dominating her and she finally got fed up and left the area.

Certainly something to keep an eye on but there's not a lot you can do. Cats are territorial.
#3 Old 03-12-2010, 04:52 AM
mlp
Banned

It's nothing to worry about. I don't separate mine unless there's fur being torn out, or the real fight yowl sounds. (That has only happened a few times over decades.)Two of mine are brothers who are absolutely devoted to each other. They're only about 12-14 pounds each, but when they go at each other in play, they take each other down so forcefully that the house shakes. (And this house is solid, with plaster walls.) You would think they were tigers.

If you have a cat who is being constantly stalked by another cat, and is fearful and runs away, you need to give that cat a safe place, where he/she feels secure; however, that does not at all sound like what's going on with your two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking it was just them sorting out territory kind of thing. Again, I've never had two big cats before so I wasn't completely sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

the sort of noise is probably a very loud deep grumbly whirring noise that maybe goes up in pitch at the end? that means "i've REALLY had enough and am getting seriously peeved now- let me go, damnit." and is generally followed by a hasty flounce of retreat by the really peeved cat. if its an occasional thing and they're sorting it out between themselves without horrible injuries, i'd let them get on with it. if little cat is starting to getting seriously freaked out, he needs somewhere safe to chill where he won't be jumped on all the time, and big cat needs to learn when to knock it off.
#6 Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

the sort of noise is probably a very loud deep grumbly whirring noise that maybe goes up in pitch at the end? that means "i've REALLY had enough and am getting seriously peeved now- let me go, damnit." .

This is exactly it. I couldn't find a way to articulate it so I didn't bother to try and describe it but you managed to pull it off.

#7 Old 03-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

You should do some separation, and make sure that they each have desirable places to be. You want to reward good, calm behavior (are they motivated by food?), and intervene in threatening/fighting/intimidating etc. behavior. It can get worse. And one cat can turn into the victim cat and withdraw. You might check out a book called Cat Vs. Cat or others.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Irizry, I've never heard of Cat Vs. Cat, I'll check it out. Other then when they mix it up they tend to give each other space and have separate out of the way spot where they like to spend time. It's not these sort of out of the way private spots that have ever been the battle ground. It's the common area in the middle of the living room where they mix it up if they're going to. They do often sit or sleep one at each end of the couch or on the floor pretty close to each other. It's just that once every other day or so they scrap it out once or twice in the living room. I am monitoring it pretty closely. When I took them into my home I also took on the responsibility of caring for them in a responsible way so that's what I endeavor to do.

#9 Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Impeach the gangster

The obvious answer is to get a new pet, a dog, so it can be the referee.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page