Is breeding harmful? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 AM

I have been asked a buddy of mine if he could use my dog as a stud. But them I was told that it will cause harm to your dog if you don't continue to use him for that. They said it causes some kind of anal problems. Does anybody know if this is true? I was cosidering getting him fixed but if he could breed and not be harmed by it, then I would maybe re-consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if breeding is harmful to individual dogs involved in it, but it is certainly harmful to the dog population at large! Why would anyone want to purposefully make new puppies when there are so many desperate for homes and dying every day in animal shelters? On the whole, since they have already been domesticated and we have a surplus, the best thing to do for cats and dogs is to fix them.
#3 Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I don't know if breeding is harmful to individual dogs involved in it, but it is certainly harmful to the dog population at large! Why would anyone want to purposefully make new puppies when there are so many desperate for homes and dying every day in animal shelters? On the whole, since they have already been domesticated and we have a surplus, the best thing to do for cats and dogs is to fix them.

Agreed! Here's something for you to think about :

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...ay_neuter.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Please get him fixed! There are so many unwanted dogs in shelters that are being "put to sleep" every day, and all because people breed dogs.
#5 Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 AM
mlp
Banned

Please, please, get him fixed. Please don't add to the overpopulation problem - millions of homeless dogs and cats are killed every year, and millions more die miserable deaths on the streets, from starvation, disease and the like.

Volunteer at your local animal shelter and see for yourself.
#6 Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Please have your puppy fixed! Overpopulation is an animal crisis we can all help solve.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#7 Old 02-08-2010, 03:21 PM

I can not beg you enough to please please PLEASE fix your dog, and never EVER breed. It is highly irresponsible to ever breed a dog or cat. Do you know how many die in shelters every day through lack of homes? Why add more to the problem?
#8 Old 02-08-2010, 05:39 PM

I have to echo everything that was already said...please don't breed your dog. So many animals die everyday in shelters and on the streets for lack of homes. If you breed your dog & sell (or even give away for that matter) those puppies, you are essentially taking one life from those shelter dogs each time. When people can no longer buy these "designer dogs" they will realize that these wonderful, loving dogs that are killed every year are really worth their love as well.

I'd like to recommend a wonderful book to you "One at a time: A week in an American animal shelter." I bought it on Amazon, please read that (& the tons of stuff online about it as well). But reading a physical book, with the photos, stories, and the incredible number of innocent animals that live this life..well, it's just overwhelming (but a truth everyone should be aware of)
#9 Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with everyone here- please get your dog neutered and don't breed him! It's the responsible thing to do.

To answer your question- it's not actually breeding that causes anal gland problems, but keeping a male dog intact (not neutered) that causes them. If you don't fix your male dog, he may start to have hormone-related growths around the anus as he gets older. They're more common in smaller breeds but can happen in any breed of dog. Having anal gland problems leads to a lot of pain and discomfort for male dogs, and can lead to further complications such as cancer.

So, there's two really good reasons to get your dog fixed!

Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#10 Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by symondneil View Post

I have been asked a buddy of mine if he could use my dog as a stud. But them I was told that it will cause harm to your dog if you don't continue to use him for that. They said it causes some kind of anal problems. Does anybody know if this is true? I was cosidering getting him fixed but if he could breed and not be harmed by it, then I would maybe re-consider.

It is harmful the 6 dogs who will die in a shelter because of the 6 puppies you purposely brought into the world.
#11 Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes breeding is harmful. Millions of dogs are euthanized every year due to overbreeding caused by breeders, puppy millers, and people who don't spay and neuter their animals and then allow them to breed as well. There are not enough compassionate people to adopt instead of buy, or some are just ignorant to the homeless animal situation. The figures for the millions euthanized ever year are only the ones recorded in shelters, it doesn't include all the ones that die on the streets from neglect, abuse, starvation, illness, exposure to the weather like freezing to death and dying from heatstrokes, etc.

The best thing you can do for your dog is get him neutered and don't add to the overpopulation crisis.

Also, as far as his own health is concerned, my old neighbors dog died from developing cancer somewhere in his genitals that could've been prevented if he'd been neutered. So yes there are health concerns with keeping them intact.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page