My doggie... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Beginner

I have a doggie named Starr and she is 14 years old. Last night, she had her very first "accident" on the living room carpet. She's so old, she didn't know that she did it until my mom scolded her a little. I mean, she didn't yell or anything, but she showed her what she did and Starr was so remorseful. It breaks my heart that she is getting so on in years. We got her when she was five weeks old and I could hold her in my jacket. I can't believe so much time has gone by already.

I love my starr and I wish I had pictures to show you...she's adorable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Sorry about your dog getting on in age, but shoving her head into her "accident" is not going to do any good. She has no idea why your mom is shoving her, she just thinks she's being mean. That "remorse" is probably her being scared and confused. Old dogs have weaker bladders. Letting her outside to go to the bathroom is the solution, not shoving her into her mess.
#3 Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Beginner

I never said she did that. She showed her, but never grabbed her or "shoved her" anywwhere. She called her over and pointed to it. I get that my dog didn't get what she was talking about, but it's not like my mom got in her face and screamed at her. I told you she couldn't yell at her because she got that it was an accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Ugh, I'm so sorry! I read "she showed her what she did" as "shoved her into what she did". So sorry!
#5 Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

It's often hard to believe how fast time goes. I can't believe my boy is going to be 9yrs!

When dogs, cats, humans, etc get old they often loose full cogntion and bladder control. It's pointless to show an old individual their accident and can actually be harmfull. You dog coud get so nervous about punishment (scolding), that she looses more of her control. You wouldn't scold your grandmother for loosing control, would you? Instead you should take her to a vet for a work up:urinalysis, blood chemistry and cbc. Is this due to a bladder infection, diabetes, kidney failure, liver failure, weak muscles? Can something be done to help prevent it from happening again?
#6 Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a terrible feeling, when it hits you that your friend is now Old. It seems like it takes no time at all.

I remember disctinctly the day I realized my Zoe (RIP) was old. She loved to chase squirrels, but one time she came back and she was limping. She hadn't seriously hurt herself, but it hit me that she had just injured herself by simply running. By doing something she had done easily for the other eight years and however many days of her life. I looked at her and said "She's ... old." It was a terrible feeling for me. She wouldn't/couldn't run with me anymore, she was sloiwing down.

All we can do is make their last years comfortable.
#7 Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

awww!!!!! im sorry she's getting older, just enjoy your time with her and take lots of pictures . in october 2008 one of my cats who was like my best friend died and that experience showed me to take lots of pictures with the pets and spend as much time as possible with them. what kind of dog is Starr?

I've just begun having my fun. <3
#8 Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

When dogs, cats, humans, etc get old they often loose full cogntion and bladder control. It's pointless to show an old individual their accident and can actually be harmfull.

When mine have gotten to the stage of becoming incontinet, it has caused them great distress - I have always tried to reassure them that they have done nothing wrong. It's distressing for a human to become incontinent; likewise, it's distressing to many dogs and cats, who have always tried to be "clean" about their bathroom needs.
#9 Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Beginner

Thanks guys...and it's okay Tinymuffins.

Starr is a mutt. Cocker Spaniel, Springer Spaniel, Rottweiler and Sharpie. She has the colorings of a rott, and the fur of a spaniel.

I'm just happy she's not in any pain or anything. She's a very happy go lucky dog just like she's always been. She still wags her tail and comes over for loads of pets when she notices that someone's there. (She's completely deaf now and her vision is going, so it takes her awhile to notice that someone came in if she is in a different room)

Monday is going to be the 14th anniversary of us getting her. *Smile*
#10 Old 01-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember when this happened to my Bailey. She would ask to go out only to come back inside and go on the carpet. We were told that as they age,they sometimes forget why they went out (or even forget to ask to go out altogether) and that we should take her out more often and stay longer. Good luck with your little old lady dog. I know you're showering her with lots of extra love and attention.

Another thing (you probably do this already) is to be sure she gets on a good geriatric program from the vet. He or she can tell you how to adjust her feeding and exercise times and so forth.
#11 Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend buys puppy housetraining pads for his blind, diabetic 14 year old poodle. She can't handle the cold anymore and she is pretty good about using them. Maybe you could try them with your dog.
#12 Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Beginner

That is a good idea amhappy. She hasn't done it at all since that one time, so we aren't too worried at the moment.
#13 Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

My doggie is turning 17 this Valentine's Day.

She has accidents in the house... If she slips and falls splay-legged and there is no one right there to help her up, she'll pee. (I don't blame her, I'd pee on the floor too if I were stuck in a split.) We've bought more rugs (she only really has trouble with slipping on hardwood floors.) And if we don't get up in the middle of the night to take her out at the right time, she'll pee or poo in the house.

It's more like having a puppy in terms of bathroom habits these days - she has to go out every couple hours during the day and every 3 hours or so during the night. We're learning to deal with her old age, and she's doing her best. We're not perfect and neither is she, but we are all doing our best.

There will come a day, probably sooner rather than later, when that's not enough and she's miserable or in a lot of pain or sick... But for now, we're just loving her as much as we can - and that's the very best thing for all of us!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page