My dogs: little food, big food, stealing food. (plus a photo.) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Beginner

Big dog: we got her from a shelter over a year ago. Always been a finicky eater and will only graze throughout the day. She is on the slim side of average weight, and we leave her food out for her to graze on all day.

Little dog: adopted from a shelter run by a friend of ours. Brought her home Wednesday. All they know about her is that she was stray. (off topic: my husband insists that some uppity lady thought she would make a great accessory, and then kicked her out when she pooped in her Coach bag.)

Little dog is supposed to eat up to 1/2 cup of food a day. She will eat everything in her bowl both times we feed her in the day, and spend the rest of the day sneaking nuggets from big dog's dish. This bothers me because:

Little dog is going to become overweight if she keeps this up. Chihuahuas are prone to obesity.

Big dog is dominant and doesn't like little dog near her food, though she doesn't react aggressively when this happens.

Big dog eats "large breed" formulated food, and little dog eats "toy breed" formula. I can't imagine it is healthy for little dog to snack on the big ol' chunks of large breed food throughout the day.

I'm wondering if this is a problem that may resolve itself as the dogs get used to each other and assert their own spaces, and as new dog learns she doesn't need to scrounge anymore. OR should we put a stop to this right away? How can we stop it without interfering with the feeding schedule that big dog is used to? I have a big fear that big dog -who we worked so hard to get to trust us and feel at home here- will feel displaced by little dog. What would you do in this situation?

(I attached a picture, just for fun. Little dog was fenced off because she got spayed, but she can climb through that fence now. She was relaxing in the kennel we used to bring her home from surgery. Big dog is in the background. They were staring at me. A favorite shared hobby of theirs.)
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

could you put big dogs food in a nice high foodbowl that littledog can't reach, and keep it away from anything little dog can use to jump up on- give it a sturdy weighted base so littledog doesn't knock it over if he's a jumper. you could build something or buy something like the 18 inch version of this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&lmdn=Category
#3 Old 01-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

could you put big dogs food in a nice high foodbowl that littledog can't reach, and keep it away from anything little dog can use to jump up on- give it a sturdy weighted base so littledog doesn't knock it over if he's a jumper. you could build something or buy something like the 18 inch version of this:

I was thinking of the same kind of thing. Either that or you may have to retrain the big dog to eat several meals a day when you can separate them instead of grazing.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn, what a great idea!
#5 Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Damn, what a great idea!

we've got two very nosey and very bright kittens, and are in the midst of renovating our house- so at the moment my life pretty much constantly revolves around the ever-changing list of dangerous things that they want to play with and/or eat, and keeping these things completely inaccessable to these small furry people who can tightrope walk, leap tall buildings in a single bound, climb up walls at lightning speed, and who have plenty of scheming time available. its a constant battle of wits, and i'm a walking meanie. i'm glad my skills came in handy for someone else.
#6 Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&lmdn=Category

My dad uses elevated dishes like this with some of his greyhounds, just because they're so tall, and it can be a little tougher for them to have to reach down to the floor to eat. But those wire things seem very flimsy and easy to knock down. The ones my dad uses are hard plastic, and wider on the bottom than the top, so they won't tip.

Ok, quick google search. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.petco.com/product/109427/...%20Blue-109427

--Fromper

#7 Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

My dad uses elevated dishes like this with some of his greyhounds, just because they're so tall, and it can be a little tougher for them to have to reach down to the floor to eat. But those wire things seem very flimsy and easy to knock down. The ones my dad uses are hard plastic, and wider on the bottom than the top, so they won't tip.

Ok, quick google search. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.petco.com/product/109427/...%20Blue-109427

[snip image]

--Fromper

yeah, i was worried about the sturdiness, as i mentioned. i saw lower bowls like that, but thought littledog could probably get in there if he was sneaky. maybe its as simple as putting a bowl with a non-slip base onto a table.
#8 Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yeah, i was worried about the sturdiness, as i mentioned. i saw lower bowls like that, but thought littledog could probably get in there if he was sneaky. maybe its as simple as putting a bowl with a non-slip base onto a table.

The one I posted actually isn't lower. The large size is 20 inches tall, which should be good enough to keep out such a small dog.

--Fromper

#9 Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

You might want to do some research on raised bowls if you have a breed prone to gastric dilatation and volvulus (bloat.) The old rule used to be that rasied dishes helped prevent this but more recent studies done by veterinarians say the opposite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page