Cat Food- What to Feed/Where to Get It - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Sorry for yet ANOTHER cat food thread. I know there are a million (three pages and counting!) but I wasn't really finding the answer I wanted.

This is NOT a "meat or veggies" topic, I wont put meat into my body because it doesn't need it- my cats are another story, they DO need animal protein.

I currently have a list of about 12 different brands of cat food, which is a bit overwhelming to go through, I was hoping you guys could help me narrow it down.

The List:

Wellness

Innova

Chicken Soup

Taste of the Wild

Back to Basics

Before Grain

Felidae

Orijen

California Natural

Merrick

Weruva (?)

Natura

I want a grain free food that is as "least harm" as possible- to both the planet and the animals, and as pocketbook friendly as possible. Obviously I'll need to compromise somewhat because of budget- I'm aware that I can't afford truly free-range on grandpa's farm chickens and cows, where all of the money goes to grandpa and his small family business.... I wish.

I plan on feeding the cats mostly wet food, with a little bit of dry to supplement. Right now they're on Wellness (dry and wet) for kittens (they're about 5 weeks?), but the place I had been getting it has discontinued carrying it, which leads me to the next part of this post-

Where do you get your cat food... regular grocery store, health food store, pet store, farmer co-op, etc. Online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

5 weeks old and they're already on food? is their mummycat around so they still nurse too?
#3 Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM

MommaCat is a feral in the barn that I'm house sitting at, the main colony are all spayed/nuetered/clipped, but there is a a neighboring colony where pregnant cats ocasionally find their way over from. Kittens, especially from a different colony, aren't safe in that setting. They are on nursing formula in addition to the Wellness, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Banned

okie phew.
#5 Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been really happy with Innova EVO (that's their grain free line). My cat just looked better after about a month on it. It's not horribly expensive, I buy the big dog food sized cans, 12 for about $20 and a 17?ish lbs bag of kibble for $40. I buy it from a local indy pet store, but before I found that place I ordered it from heartypet.com. The shipping isn't so bad if you catch them when they're offering 50% off (or free) shipping. I used to just get a bunch at once when shipping was cheap.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy at a pet supply store. You can't get decent cat food at a grocery store.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#7 Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM
mlp
Banned

For dry, I feed Chicken Soup. Up here, I can only find it at two different plant nurseries. At one, a bag is almost $10 more than at the other. When I lived in the St. Louis area, I bought it at a suburban version of a feed store, which also carried most of the other brands you listed.
#8 Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

eh you pretty much get what you pay for usually. The better foods have less fillers and more natural ingredients. Wellness, Felidae and Natura are all good brands. EVO, Innova, and California Natural are all Natura product lines. EVO is a pretty good kitten food, its pretty high calorie so be careful if u feed it to adult cats too. This would be a good choice since u want grain free. I know their website has a section for finding a vendor.
#9 Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 AM

We feed our cats the Innova EVO also. I have never been happier with the results of a pet food. We feed them primarily dry, because it is healthier for their teeth. We offset the dry with raw-feeding. They are healthy, very active and have wonderful coats. Despite their incredibly thick and long fur, they require very minimum grooming and no hairball control.
#10 Old 12-07-2009, 02:18 AM

This Evo brand seems to be popular. Is that free range? As far as I can tell, the advertising doesn't promote this.

Also, Newman's Own says it's organic, but when I looked at the ingredients, only the plant components had the "organic" label attached. I'm not particularly worried if their rice was humanely raised, as long as they didn't use virgins' blood as fertilizer. So how is it?

The critter:

I have a three-month old kitten. I would have preferred a rabbit or parrot, because I wouldn't have such headaches in that case. But my mom convinced me by saying that if the kitten doesn't find a home, she will probably die. So now I'm stuck with this hereditary carnivore. And now I'd take a bullet for her. Despite my doubts, it's hard to look into those eyes and not melt.

But the question of food remains. I found a brand at Whole Food (Pet Promise) that claimed to be free-range, and bought two bags and a set of cans. She enjoyed it at first, but either she got tired of it, or it's going bad. She still eats it, but less than before. I want to try a few other brands, too.
#11 Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I feed Orijen. It's Canadian made. My cats do wonderful on it (completely changed the look and health of one cat) but they don't make canned food, just the dry. One of my cats can't eat canned, but the other gets Natural Balance when I feed wet. I highly recommend Orijen for a dry food. It's a little pricey ($51 for 15lbs) but worth it. Cats don't eat that much and even less of a high quality food so it really isn't expensive at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page