how long can/should a cat go without peeing? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

my cat was due for his yearly checkup and because he's on heart medication that involves bloodwork to make sure the meds aren't damaging his kidneys. this year they also wanted to do a urine sample which they did not do last year and they didn't give me a heads up when i made the appointment. so when i got there i was totally unprepared for it. they said they could keep him overnight and get the sample, they use a special litter, i guess it's plastic bits that don't absorb so the liquid goes to the bottom of the pan so they can get their sample. i said i'd rather do it at home and they said because cats are fussy about their litter he might refuse to use it and go elsewhere in the house. but if he's in one of their kennels at least if he pees out of the box they still can get their sample. my cat has NEVER been fussy about his litter but they insisted and my mom (who is caring for my cat while i'm staying with my inlaws) insisted it would be easier. they said they wouldn't charge me extra for the stay, just for the litter which would be a couple bucks.

i really didn't want to leave him but it was a fight i wasn't gonna win. so we left him there. the appointment was at 10:20 yesterday morning. when i called this morning to see if we could go get him they said no he hadn't peed yet. i called back at lunch and he still hadn't gone. i called back at dinner and he still hadn't gone. he's protesting. either he really hates the litter or he's just super p.o.'d at being left there and crammed in a kennel. so they said if he still hadn't gone by closing time they'd keep him another night. and he didn't go, so he's still there. this is a really long time to hold it in isn't it? is he gonna make himself sick? in his usual daily routine he's in the litterbox at around 7am so it's possible he hasn't gone since 7am yesterday.

i'm thinking when they open tomorrow we're taking him home regardless of whether he's gone or not, we can take the litter and try at home.

when i called at dinner i asked how much he's eaten and drank, they said a little but not much. but they'd only given him dry food and he's used to getting canned food twice a day so i suggested that. he gets a lot of his water intake from wet food so he doesn't drink all that much. she said she'd try giving him some canned food and see if it helps, at least he might be a little less grumpy. hoping that did the trick and that he'll be ready to come home but if not i'm taking him anyway even if i have to pick a fight lol.

i'm also concerned that he's not getting his meds while he's there, the longer he's there the longer he goes without his pill (fortekor), it's been 2 days without it cause he gets it at dinner time, i hope it doesn't do any harm to be without it that long. they won't refill his scrips til they get the test results back either and i'm out of metacam which he gets daily also, he's been without it for i think 4 or 5 days now.

all i need is for him to get a uti or something and have complications from being off his meds all at the same time. i'm so stressed out. but the tech didn't seem too concerned on the phone she said they just like to be stubborn etc etc but i think a day and a half without peeing is a little much.

my poor kitty, i can picture him hunkered in the back of the kennel giving them all the deathglare which he has perfected

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

A day and 1/2 is a bit much. Most cats pee at least 1-2 times in a 24 hour period. It seems odd they wouldn't have tried something else by this point.

Suggest that they give him an IV to force more liquid into him. There is also a shot (I believe it is potassium) that they can give a cat to make it thirsty. If he is protesting, it might be hard for him to hold it once he has a very full bladder. (One of my cats had it once to help flush him out. He drank like he had just discovered water and peed his little brains out.)

It might be slightly more costly, but they could run a catheter.

The longer he holds it the more damage that can be done to his kidneys, which is why I'm surprised they haven't tried anything by this point.
#3 Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard of cats going longer than that without urinating, but why put a cat through a hospital stay if there are better ways. The most I will keep a cat to get urine is a through the day, not overnight. All it takes is a little skill and you can get a sample by using a needle through the abdominal wall (cyctocentesis). It's much better than making a cat stay at the clinic for 2 nights. You can even increasse your chances by giving fluid under the skin first. There are problems with this method as well. First, the cat needs to cooperate somewhat. You can also put the needle in other organs or blood vessels, IF you are not careful. I will feel and hold the bladder so that I know where the needle is going. You can also insert bacteria, but this is unlikely if the cat is reasonably clean first.

If a cat is blocked and truely can't urinate, in 3-5 days the back up can destroy the kidneys and they will die. Holding urine voluntarily is another story, but most cats will get some out somewhere and not hold all of it for that long. They also decrease their drinking at the same time.

Some caution needs to be taken for your cat since there is obviously something wrong with his heart. He is probably already on a diuretic ("water pill") to increase urine output, so no injections for that are needed (I don't know of anything that increases their thirst). The fluids under the skin would be safer than giving them IV, rapid increase in blood volume can harm his heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

(I don't know of anything that increases their thirst).

There is something. They gave it to my one cat, and he sat in the bathtub for hours doing nothing more than drinking out of the faucet. He would only leave to go to the box or go to his bowl of water.

They told me when they gave it to him that it would make him very thirsty, and his actions proved it.
#5 Old 09-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

they said they could keep him overnight and get the sample, they use a special litter, i guess it's plastic bits that don't absorb so the liquid goes to the bottom of the pan so they can get their sample. i said i'd rather do it at home and they said because cats are fussy about their litter he might refuse to use it and go elsewhere in the house. but if he's in one of their kennels at least if he pees out of the box they still can get their sample. my cat has NEVER been fussy about his litter but they insisted and my mom (who is caring for my cat while i'm staying with my inlaws) insisted it would be easier. they said they wouldn't charge me extra for the stay, just for the litter which would be a couple bucks.

people can always close their cat in the bathroom with the litter, or even a very large carrier similar to a cage at the vet's, if they're really worried about the rest of the house.

I hope you got your cat out today and he's o.k. It's too stressful for cats to be at the vet, especially when it's something that can be done at home.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#6 Old 09-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

My cat went a day and a half not peeing once while at the vet before a major surgery. I was working there at the time and we left the house at 7 am and I don't know when he went before then, and he didn't go all day at the hospital - he had to have a fentinyl patch put on that afternoon for surgery the next morning, so he had that, stayed overnight, his surgery kept getting pushed back for other things -- he didn't pee all day -- finally got out of surgery around 7 pm that night (so at least 36 hrs no peeing) and all doped up from anesthesia he peed all over me. He's just a nudge though and wants HIS box. He was fine. I was wondering the same thing as cheekywhiskers -- I've never seen a vet hold a cat that long and not just do a cystocentesis to get a urine sample.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page