I just found out that many "reputable" breeders give away retired breeders - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 PM

rant/I browse a dog forum (I really want a terrier-mix, but my mom is unconvinced) sometimes and I decided to go to the breeding section to mock them in my head. So, one member who is completely anti-puppy mill and such asked about giving away her ***** after this litter, and guess what? Everyone was in agreement because she'd "like it better". Wow, are these jobs objects or not? And they say they're going to a good home. Well, you raised the dog from a puppy, burdened her health by putting her through many heats and breeding her three times, took away homes from at least 12 shelter dogs, make her be terrified 3 times giving birth, and you're giving her away? You could at least And these are the people who work at breed rescues and say pets aren't disposable!

/end rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Some breeders will also sell retired breeding animals for a paltry sum. I found that out when I was searching for breed rescues and happened across a webpage in which breeders were unloading their senior animals. I saw former show cats being sold for $30 and such. It's clear the breeders just wanted to wash their hands of these no longer profitable animals. It was sad.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3 Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

IMO, it's the same in the breeder world as it is in the farm industry: when the animal no longer becomes productive or useful, then you must rid that financial deadweight and get something else to keep the profit cycle going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I know someone who adopted a rescue animal, a pedigree dachie. I was all happy until it turns out that "rescue" meant she bought her off a breeder cause she was too old to churn out puppies. my face dropped
#5 Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

we have recently been looking for a labrador dog for my OH's mum (hers died very recently). We came across 6 labs on a rescue centre, when we read the blurb, they were all from breeders - all seemed in a pretty sorry state and needed to be rehomed with another dog to learn how to be a dog / behave with humans and live in a house.

Its sickening - they had very obviously just had a litter.
#6 Old 09-01-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc55 View Post

we have recently been looking for a labrador dog for my OH's mum (hers died very recently). We came across 6 labs on a rescue centre, when we read the blurb, they were all from breeders - all seemed in a pretty sorry state and needed to be rehomed with another dog to learn how to be a dog / behave with humans and live in a house.

Its sickening - they had very obviously just had a litter.

They're clearly BYB dogs-but the top show people find that acceptable. It's so they won't have room or attention for new dogs and puppies. Uh...if you don't have room, or attention, don't get anymore. Dogs aren't going extinct.
#7 Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Byb ??
#8 Old 09-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc55 View Post

Byb ??

Back yard breeder...
#9 Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

oh thanks.

One of my OH's mum's friends breeds labs, but I think she is a bit better than most. She seems to keep her dogs after they have been bred and they also have human / family life interaction. OH's mum is going to borrow one of her ten year old dogs for company until she finds one of her own.
#10 Old 09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

That's so sad that people see them as nothing more as objects. But I'd adopt a former breeder dog, just to give her a second chance at a good life instead of constantly having pups.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#11 Old 09-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

I'd adopt a former breeder dog, just to give her a second chance at a good life instead of constantly having pups.

Sadly tho, that just feeds the circle and keeps the industry going - I don't have any solutions to offer, its something that I fret about when I think about it.
#12 Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Our "puggle" that we adopted from the Humane Society was there because he and his sister were sold at a puppy mill auction for $10 for the "set." It is sickening how breeders just discard their animals after they are no longer profitable. I've even heard of them putting them to sleep because it's less expensive to do that than to feed and shelter them for their remaining years of life...
#13 Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Breeders disgust me.

I am thinking about getting a dog at the moment and my friend said I should buy an expensive one so it would be nicer than a rescue one! It is so weird that I might have done that in the past. I did get three of my cats from a newspaper advert before I was vegan and I feel so guilty about it.
#14 Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Breeders disgust me.

Tell me about it. My aunt is one and she thinks she is IMPROVING "her" breeds' (I hate that term. She doesn't own the breed and no one does. But she uses it A LOT.) health. She breeds Basset Hounds, who have become grossly deformed with her show standards. She just mated father to daughter because apparently it locks in good traits or some other bullcrap. Anyway, OT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page