Saving a stray cat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

This just made me smile...

Tonight my dad told me about something that happened at his work.

He is the general sales manager for a company, and on their campus they have a large mill where they weld wire.

(BTW - The president of the company LOVES cats. I rescued a 5-week old kitten after her litter and mother had been killed, and my dad's boss took the cat to live in the office building, and wander around the company campus as she pleases. She is the most spoiled cat I've ever seen. Her name is Belle and if she's decided to take a nap on a chair in the board room when a meeting is scheduled? Someone gets to drag in another chair because heaven forbid anyone disturb the boss's little princess while she's asleep!)

Anyway, a VERY sick and VERY emaciated stray cat wandered over to the mill the other day. One of the welders at the plant decided he was going to take the stray, sick, soon-to-die cat and chuck her in the river.

Another welder held the guy off and came into the offices to let people know there was a stray cat at the mill... My dad heard, and knowing how much his boss likes cats, he went and let his boss know.

The president got someone to cover the (nice) welder's position and sent him to take the nearly-dead cat to the vet.

Days and days in the animal hospital, and over five thousand dollars in veterinary bills later, the company now has TWO kitties living there.

The new kitty, named Polly now, is still very skittish. But she's got a home and she'll be well-cared for, always.

YAY.

Okay, I'm going to work. I hope that made someone else smile. It totally made my night. I wish I had the money to do stuff like that... But even though I don't, it's still so nice to see someone wealthy who will spend $5,000 of his own money in a heartbeat to save a stray cat who shows up at his company's doorstep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay!! Nice story...thanks for sharing!
#3 Old 08-28-2009, 05:47 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

That lovely story truly made my day, and it certainly made me smile. Thanks for sharing it.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 08-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

You're welcome, all.

It certainly made me grin. Gotta spread the love.
#6 Old 08-29-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Anyway, a VERY sick and VERY emaciated stray cat wandered over to the mill the other day. One of the welders at the plant decided he was going to take the stray, sick, soon-to-die cat and chuck her in the river.

It made me smile apart from this part of the story.
#7 Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

this made my whole family smile!!! great story--thanks so much!
#8 Old 08-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the uplifting story. Always good to hear a positive story when so many negative ones seem to make the MM headlines.
#9 Old 08-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

five thousand dollars in veterinary bills later,

That's a lot.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#10 Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

GREAT story, I wish there were more people like that boss! And fewer like the welder that wanted to chuck the kitty in the river... >.<
#11 Old 09-04-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

That's a lot.

Not for vet bills, it isn't.
#12 Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Not for vet bills, it isn't.

Yep true.

Granted, it's a lot of money for ME, and I wouldn't be able to afford it...

But I'm just so glad that people who can, chose to do that.

And you're welcome, to everyone.
#13 Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome! Very sweet story.

I wish I had that kind of money to spend on my animals.

(I have reservations about buying a 7 dollar sweater for my brother's chihuahua mix!

Never did get the sweater.)
#14 Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Awesome story, glad there are people like that out there. Thanks for sharing!!
#15 Old 09-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a great story. It's nice to hear when someone cares (And you'd think the guy who was going to kill the cat would have a better sense, given the boss).

In terms of resources (for those with more limited resources), I think there's often a bind between saving individual animals and preventing suffering for the masses. I think the very best long-term thing that people with money who love dogs and cats could do is set up/donate to free or even incentive-ized spay and neuter programs.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#16 Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

These stories re-affirm my faith in the fact that there are wonderful people in the world who care for not only themseleves and their species, but the lives of other species in need.

Angels come in all shapes and sizes

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#17 Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow he must have a heart of gold to not only pay all those vet bills, but also keep on that creep who wanted to throw the cat in the river.
#18 Old 01-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyMarie View Post

Wow he must have a heart of gold to not only pay all those vet bills, but also keep on that creep who wanted to throw the cat in the river.

I'm not entirely sure he even knows about that... I dunno if Dad told him that part...

I just LOVE these kind of stories, though. Like VT said - it reaffirms my faith in people!
#19 Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the story, Semicharmed. What company is this, anyway? Just so I know what company to support.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#20 Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Thanks for the story, Semicharmed. What company is this, anyway? Just so I know what company to support.

Unfortunately, you won't want to support the company, no matter how nice the boss is.

They manufacture wire. Much of it is purchased for use in bird feeders, small animal cages many of us have in our homes, border fencing, gabions, etc...And while the company just makes the wire, you can imagine the large dependence they have on purchasers who use it for decidedly non-veg*n things.
#21 Old 01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, ok. Thanks, Semicharmed.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page