Distressing article about "saving money" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I was reading an article from Yahoo! about "20 Lazy Ways to Save Money" For the most part, it was the usual common sense stuff like pay your credit cards off, eat at home, etc. However, I got really upset at number 20:

Quote:
20. Forget the pet. Sure it sounds heartless but did you realize that welcoming home a little Fido can cost you an average of more than $1,500 a year - or $15,000 over 10 years? Feline fluffies are pricey too - just under $1,000 a year or approximately $9,000 for 10 years of care. Looking at the long-term picture, that's a new car or the down payment on a home! Keep walking right past that pet store and keep the money in your pocket instead.

This is utterly ridiculous! I can't help but think of all the people who will read this article and think that not getting a pet (or worse yet, getting rid of theirs!) is a swell way to save a few bucks!! And most people would not even save up the money over a TEN YEAR period, anyway to buy that fabulous new car that is soooo much more important than an animal! My companion animals are a member of my family, I cannot imagine life without them, and I am so grateful to them for their love and companionship! How can people be so ignorant and cold-hearted??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

How is it ignorant and cold-hearted to not get a pet?
#3 Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that it would be epically horrible if someone abandoned a pet over something like that...

But encouraging people to lower the DEMAND for pets in general? I think that's a great thing, especially since a lot of people would be going to breeders. If they listen to that advice, breeders might get less business. I'm all for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

It also makes it clear that having a pet is expensive. Most people don't take the real costs into consideration when thy choose to get a pet, and we end up with pets being neglected, abandoned, and discarded.

yeah, they're being a bit cold in relating it to a possession, and comparing it to a down payment on a car or a house, but far too many people take on the responibility of pet "ownership" with knowing what that really entails.

Was there a line item about not having kids? Those buggers are REALLY expensive!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM

I read that lots of people are just dumping their pets in rescue centres because they are having to tighten their belts because of the credit crunch. I would rather they considered the cost before rather than after I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Was there a line item about not having kids? Those buggers are REALLY expensive!

#6 Old 08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

How is it ignorant and cold-hearted to not get a pet?

I am wondering that. Frankly, I think if you have serious money issues it's better not to get a pet. Better not to get a dog at all than get one and find you can't afford their food or vet bills, or you have to move to a small unit and can't take them. Not everyone is cut out for living with a pet, either, some people are just not "animal people" and having a pet would not be a joy for them or for the animal. I'd rather see someone with no animals at all that to see them with one and neglect or mistreat it. Animals (and I'm viewing kids in that word, too) are damned expensive things* at times, so many people don't seem to reaise that before they get them.

*waits to be jumped of for calling pets and children "things"

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 PM

I think their cost estimates are kinda low, actually. $1000 - $1500 a year? That's supposed to cover all the food, supplies, vet bills, ect?

That said, I think if you can't afford a pet, it's better to not get one than to have one and not be able to afford the proper care.

I agree with Toast - it's horrible to hear of stories of people abandoning animals due to budgeting.
#8 Old 08-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's better if you don't have the money to care for them properly, no you shouldn't have an animal. It's better to recognize that and not get an animal than to get one you cannot care for if they get sick or need shots or to be fixed, etc. If I couldn't afford animals, I wouldn't have them.

I would be sad if the article made people abandon current pets because of the cost... or chose to kill instead of taking a sick animal to the vet, etc. But it's not a bad thing to let people know pets CAN be costly. That's something they should think about before adoption (or purchase... /shudder)
#9 Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I have worked with low-income families...some of which have a really hard time covering vet bills, and food costs for pets. Even appealing to animal shelters doesn't help, because often they want the owner to surrender the pet, and sometimes there is good reason. On $610/month (welfare for a single person in BC) and rent rates being $700 for a 1 BDRM if you are lucky...it doesn't leave much room for a bag of dog food, spaying, neutering, shots, etc.

My rule of thumb is...if you can't afford to feed yourself then don't have a pet until you can. The financial tip is something I actually agree with.....
#10 Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I agree with Toast - it's horrible to hear of stories of people abandoning animals due to budgeting.

I think people should take this as something to consider prior to getting a pet....financial problems are mostly things that slowly accumulate over time except for those cases of sudden unemployment etc. So more often than not, a person knows whether or not their budget can accomodate an animal.
#11 Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

This reminds me - With the economy being in the tank, a cool thing is donating food or money to "pet food pantries."

We have a local one called "For the Love of a Pet." (Their website is here, but it looks a little wonky.)

They are dedicated to helping people keep their pets through times of economic hardship, rather than have the pet owners face turning their pet in to a shelter.

I think it's really cool. We do it for people, why not pets!
#12 Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

This reminds me - With the economy being in the tank, a cool thing is donating food or money to "pet food pantries."

We have a local one called "For the Love of a Pet." (Their website is here, but it looks a little wonky.)

They are dedicated to helping people keep their pets through times of economic hardship, rather than have the pet owners face turning their pet in to a shelter.

I think it's really cool. We do it for people, why not pets!

I wish we had something like that here, I would donate and volunteer! If I had the money I would start one...

most 'people' shelters will take canned pet food donations, though.
#13 Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 AM

Atleast it makes people re-think getting that free puppy from the classifieds, and maybe they will take the yearly cost into consideration instead of getting a pet thinking it wont cost much, then not be willing to pay the vet bills or care that the pet needs.
#14 Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
One

So many pets need adopting from shelters so that they don't get murdered...

But try to understand that people that read that article and go "yes! this is so true! I'm never getting a pet because that's a TOTAL waste of money" shouldn't have a pet anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page