#691 Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

My precious new bunny, Leo.

danakscully64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#692 Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Leo is so adorable!!!!! He reminds me of my late bunny, Mason.

#693 Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Looks like Leo is surfing the internet. Or at least, surfing on the internet device.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#694 Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Oohh so many people love bunnies here!!

Here is Benji- he is 8 years old and missing 7 teeth He's my world.

Jen
#695 Old 09-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Benji's very cute.

He actually reminds me of a rabbit I see on my way home from work fairly often. I walk through a park on my way home from the train station, and there's an apartment building next to the park. Just outside that apartment building, somebody put up a small playpen and lets their bunny sit in the grass in the pen a couple of times per week all summer. So when I'm walking home from work, I often see him (her?) sitting there, and I'll go up and scratch his ears and say hi. He's very friendly, and not at all freaked out by all the people in the park, walking by on the sidewalk 10-15 feet from him.

But he's also a black and white lop, which is why Benji reminded me of him.

Flash is doing fine taking his heart medication and vitamins in his breakfast every morning. Tomorrow, we've got our first followup vet appointment since May, so they'll check him out and see if the medication is really working. He's been acting perfectly normal, even getting more cuddly and affectionate with age, so it's pretty obvious that he has no clue there's anything wrong with him. With any luck, he'll live a couple more years, even with this condition.

--Fromper
Tom and danakscully64 like this.
#696 Old 07-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread is due for a revival.

Just noticed that the last page of this thread has my posts talking about Flash being diagnosed with his heart condition, and being put on medicine. It's been over a year now, and he still takes the medication on his pellets every morning. I've been taking him in for checkups more often than I used to, and they say his heart is stable and not getting any worse, so he could still live a relatively long life. He's roughly 7.5 years old now.

We recently moved to a new apartment, and Flash LOVES it. Our last place had hardwood floors, so he could only run on the big living room rug. The new place has wall to wall carpeting, and a long hallway, so he's got a ton of running room. There's also a window and sliding glass door that both go down to floor level, so he can sit and look out them. He didn't take nearly as long as I feared to get used to it here, and he absolutely loves the place.

More than I do, actually. It's not bad, but I kinda miss my old apartment. It was a better place, just in an inconvenient location for my new job.

--Fromper
#697 Old 07-22-2015, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Fromper! I am about to become a first-time bunny mom, and I was told you were the one to see about advice. She's a "Teddywidder" rabbit with long, fluffy fur and lop ears. Her current owner is dropping her off this weekend along with her cage, food, and litter. I want to give her a good life, but I am definitely out of my element. Maybe if I hang around on this thread I'll pick up some tips.
#698 Old 07-22-2015, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a fold up fence; I take ours outside when the weather's nice.
no whey jose likes this.
#699 Old 07-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm happy to hear Flash is doing good!

#700 Old 07-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay Flash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#701 Old 07-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

I spent some time with my soon-to-be bunny tonight and managed to snap another picture. I learned how to clip her nails (which was terrifying!) and trim her fur. She doesn't have any chew toys. Is there some kind of household thing I could give her to chew on until I can buy her one?

She should be coming home tomorrow or Sunday. I can't wait!!

varun and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#702 Old 07-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

She's cute! Trimming nails is never fun

My bunny LOVED his phone book, he would open the pages up and eat them. This site explains how to know if it's safe (I honestly just gave Mason what I had and he never had issues): http://canigivemyrabbit.com/a-phone-book/

I'm pretty sure the following are safe: paper towel rolls (I know they have glue, but I don't think it's really risky... maybe peel off the glue), untreated wicker baskets, and grass mats (you can get them on Amazon).

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...?articleid=778

no whey jose likes this.
#703 Old 07-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Here's Mason playing with the phone book:

LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#704 Old 07-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

#705 Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Awwww! :')

Excellent resources. Thank you!

I've been looking at hutches because her cage seems kind of small to me. I really like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Single...r+rabbit+hutch but we'll have to wait until our financial situation gets a little better.
#706 Old 07-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think I ever told you what C&C cages were after I mentioned it (I was typing from my phone and doing something else, can't remember if I ever linked you to it). This is what I built for Mason.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

no whey jose likes this.
#707 Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Flash loves phone books, too. He doesn't actually eat them, though. He just likes ripping the pages out.

Hay is a must for bunny chewing and nutrition. Stick to timothy hay at first, as that's kinda the default. Once she's used to her new home, you can try alfalfa or other varieties that you find at pet stores, but only if it seems she's not eating enough of what you give her.

--Fromper
no whey jose likes this.
#708 Old 07-26-2015, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

The bunny is here! Her name is Schrödinger, or Schrodie for short. (My husband's choice; I wanted to name her Carrot Cake!)

She hopped around the flat for a bit this morning, but mostly she's stayed in her cage even though the door is open.

This is her cage. Is the set up OK for now? Is it big enough? Oddly, she drinks water out of a bowl rather than a bottle. Does she have enough hay there or should I add more? Am I supposed to take the old hay out each day and replace it?

I gave her an egg carton (coffee holder from Starbucks) to chew on but she didn't seem interested in chewing on anything, and now it's in her litter box and I'm wondering if I should throw it away.

Do you think she'll be afraid if I vacuum the carpet? I can imagine that being terrifying, so I haven't done it even though the neat freak in me is screaming that there's hay on the floor. I don't want to traumatise her!

I can't tell if she's adjusting well or not. I think it's a good sign that she's eating, sleeping, and grooming. We're just hanging out as normal in the living room, watching TV with her cage door open in case she wants to come out and explore. I think she feels safer in there.

Anyway, she's beautiful and I hope she's happy!
varun, Jasminedesi16 and Ladyjay like this.

Last edited by no whey jose; 07-26-2015 at 02:59 AM.
#709 Old 07-26-2015, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh my goodness...yay! I'm not a bunny person so I don't know the answers to your questions. But best of luck! I'm sure you will do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no whey jose likes this.
#710 Old 07-26-2015, 04:24 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

The cutest bunny in the world! Another vegan in your family.
no whey jose likes this.
#711 Old 07-26-2015, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

I vacuumed and it freaked her out but she recovered.

varun likes this.
#712 Old 07-26-2015, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I vacuumed and it freaked her out but she recovered.
Congrats on getting Frau Schrödinger to live with you. She looks happy, all animals have basic intelligence and cognitive abilities, I'm sure she must be missing her previous owner and environment but she'll get used to your home soon enough. I'm happy. Do keep the updates coming.
no whey jose likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#713 Old 07-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mason didn't mind the vacuum at all. He would sit there and let me vacuum all the way up to him No fears, he was a tough bunny (VERY stubborn).

The setup looks good! Since she is welcome out of her cage all the time, it's not too small. Unless the hay is peed on, it's fine to keep in there. You can buy or build something that holds the hay on the side of the cage (not necessary, but it limits the amount of waste). My rabbit never ate hay, but I've been told that it's good to keep a pretty good amount available at all times since it's their main food source. Have you fed her carrots or kale yet?

no whey jose likes this.
#714 Old 07-26-2015, 12:15 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I love seeing all these bun buns. It's my goal after I graduate and don't have to worry about living in dorms that don't allow pets to finally adopt a rabbit. I love my two betta fish, but I just can't cuddle them
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#715 Old 07-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
Mason didn't mind the vacuum at all. He would sit there and let me vacuum all the way up to him No fears, he was a tough bunny (VERY stubborn).

The setup looks good! Since she is welcome out of her cage all the time, it's not too small. Unless the hay is peed on, it's fine to keep in there. You can buy or build something that holds the hay on the side of the cage (not necessary, but it limits the amount of waste). My rabbit never ate hay, but I've been told that it's good to keep a pretty good amount available at all times since it's their main food source. Have you fed her carrots or kale yet?
Not yet, but I plan to share my rainbow salad with her when I eat it.

Did you have to vacuum constantly? There's stray hay and litter on the carpet already and I just vacuumed! I might have to relax my neat-freakiness a bit. How will I know if the hay is peed on? Do I actually NEED hay sprinkled on the floor of her cage like that, or can I just put some in her food dish and in her litter box so that I can easily clean messes in the cage and avoid hay getting everywhere when she hops in and out of the cage? If it matters, her cage door is open whenever anyone is home and awake. I don't work, so it will be open most of the daytime.

Last edited by no whey jose; 07-26-2015 at 03:37 PM.
#716 Old 07-26-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Not yet, but I plan to share my rainbow salad with her when I eat it.

Did you have to vacuum constantly? There's stray hay and litter on the carpet already and I just vacuumed! I might have to relax my neat-freakiness a bit. How will I know if the hay is peed on? Do I actually NEED hay sprinkled on the floor of her cage like that, or can I just put some in her food dish and in her litter box so that I can easily clean messes in the cage and avoid hay getting everywhere when she hops in and out of the cage? If it matters, her cage door is open whenever anyone is home and awake. I don't work, so it will be open most of the daytime.
I vacuumed often because it wasn't just Mason, my chinchillas throw poop out of their cage all freakin' day (they're mini poop factories who are very productive ). Mason didn't go outside of his cage that much, but most of his waste was kept in his cage. The walls of his cage were tall, so that helped. I used wood shavings for his litter box.

It seems like most bunny parents have a "hay corner." I've seen a lot of people have the hay next to the litter box to encourage their rabbits to use it. My bunny loved the cool surface of his case, I didn't cover it with anything. You'd have to touch it to make sure it wasn't peed on (you might be able to visually tell too).

no whey jose likes this.
#717 Old 07-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for all your help and guidance. I've got a happy update: We pulled our sofa away from the wall to make it easier for me to clean the cage and surrounding area, and this seems to have encouraged Schrodie to hop around the whole living room instead of just hiding behind the sofa. She's running around like a crazy bunny right now. I think she's feeling pretty good!

One thing I really want is to get her a little tunnel or house to hide in while I clean her cage, vacuum the carpet, or do anything else that might make her feel unsafe. I keep reading that they need a place to hide and right now she doesn't have one. She never did at her old house, either, but part of adopting her was promising to give her the best life I can. I need the tunnel or house to be attractive, too, because it's the first thing people will see when they walk into our flat! I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you all know what I come up with.
#718 Old 07-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

My rabbits loved plain brown cardboard boxes- the big sturdy kind. They invaded them and claimed them and hung out in them and chewed them to pieces! I always took out large staples and peeled off tape, labels, etc to make them safer in case they swallowed any pieces they chewed, but don't know if it made a difference.

I gave mine branches to gnaw on (only from plants I knew were not toxic). They REALLY loved to chew those, but lately I've wondered if the branches bothered them for some reason and they felt better without these things in the room.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#719 Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Rabbits like to eat and poop at the same time. You probably already know by now which side/corner of the litter box she likes to back up to when she goes, so put the hay on the opposite side, and she can eat it while sitting in there.

As noted above, you can leave the hay there, as long as it doesn't get pee on it, but some bunnies won't eat hay that's been sitting too long. I change out Flash's hay whenever I clean his litter box, which is every 2-3 days. On days when I'm not cleaning the box, I just top off the hay to make sure he always has plenty of fresh stuff.

What are you feeding her? Just pellets and hay? Like I said before, check rabbit.org for diet tips. It's good to give them greens every day. I give Flash pellets for breakfast and greens for dinner every day, plus carrot for dessert at bed time, and lots of hay for whenever he feels like eating it. Of course, how much you should feed her will depend on her size. How much does she weigh?

--Fromper
#720 Old 07-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

It's odd, but she doesn't seem interested in chewing on anything. I gave her some cardboard and a paper towel tube but she completely ignored them. It's good that she hasn't tried to chew on any cords, furniture, or carpet but I'm wondering if it's a bad sign? Could it be her breed? I can't find any information on teddy lops online at all.

I've been feeding her pellets, hay, and a bit of fresh produce. The hay is always there, and I give her a handful of pellets each morning and another at night plus whatever veggies we have on hand (so far it's been salad greens, sugar snap peas, courgette, apple, and red pepper). I don't really measure it out or anything. Here's what I gave her last night (in the bowl):

Does that look about right? I have no idea how much she weighs.

Here's a cute shot of her:

ETA: So, I was just reading that I should probably be giving her less pellets and more leafy greens. Next time we buy groceries, I'm going to get some kale and rocket for her.
Tom and Jasminedesi16 like this.

Last edited by no whey jose; 07-28-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page