The Rabbit Lovers Thread! - Page 23 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 190Likes

#661 Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Potatotarian

I've never met such sweet rabbits. They're doing really well. Eating and growing. They come up to you when you call them, and follow you around. I'm going to put them in the x-pen today so they can play in and eat the grass. I love these little guys so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#662 Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM

I love this thread! I've only had 2 bunnies but they're my favourite pets! :) My first bunny died about 5 years ago, his name was Paws because he was grey but he had white feet lol. We recently got another rabbit over the summer (from a pet store, I know! I really wanted to get a bunny from a rescue shelter but my mom didn't think they were cute -.-) named Whisper. I'll post a pic of her when I'm not feeling lazy.

#663 Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Potatotarian

So, where are the pics of Whisper? :)

Hazel and Poppy, at almost 6 weeks.  They're each over 2 lbs now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#664 Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

So cute!

Just looking at the two pictures of them, it's obvious that their ears are growing faster than the rest of their bodies. They've got quite a bit of growing to do to catch up to those big ears, now. If they're already 2 lbs at such a young age, I'd expect they'll be pretty big when they're full grown.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Tom likes this.
#665 Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Poppy, Hazel, and Basil are ADORABLE!!!

#666 Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Beautiful rabbits, badkelpie. Is Basil interacting with Poppy and Hazel (I have a rabbit named Hazel too BTW)? Also, I'm curious about your fence. Are you concerned about them digging under it? And do you have to worry about birds of prey? I ask because if I move into a place with the right kind of yard I'm interested in giving my rabbits some outside time. I just worry about them escaping and getting lost or getting snagged by a hawk.
#667 Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM

I worry about those things too so I put mine out in a secure pen and they are never out unsupervised.

#668 Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Potatotarian

Basil and the babies sniff through the bars of the x-pen, but they aren't allowed to run around together until 8 weeks past Basil's neuter (which happened March 20).

I have your standard chain link fence, it goes all the way to the ground. In addition, we have hard packed clay dirt that doesn't lend itself to excessive digging. If they were to try and dig around the fence, I'd put bricks down around the perimeter.

As for birds of prey, what can carry off a 15 - 20 lb rabbit? I've never seen so much as an owl in town here anyway.

I love having them free, they seem so happy. Basil's old girlfriend had lived her life in a cage until she got dumped off. She didn't know anything else. It took several weeks, but she finally learned she could run, and even attempted a binky or 2. She was old, so she was never a marathon runner, but she'd bound across the yard when she saw me.

They lay in the dirt and river rock when they're hot, or they hang out under the sprinkler. They graze all day, and the rose bushes have no leaves as high as Basil can reach.

They have a good life.

If they out live my kelpie (herding breed dog), I'll give them the option of coming inside, but now she'd probably just herd them into a corner and not let them move all day. smiley.gif
#669 Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM

I love rabbits. I've had several but not right now
#670 Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM

We just lost one of the best rabbits on the planet. His name was Fred and he was so calm and gentle. He was nearly 10yrs old and his  bonded mate, Ladybelle, has been a sad girl. I wish I could post a picture of him but they're all on my other computer. Maybe another day.

#671 Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a bunny. They make great family members.

We lost our Finley (8 years +) in February. I think of her regularly. Give lots of snuggles to Ladybelle. It's hard for them too.

Tom likes this.
#672 Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 PM

I love bunnies. I wish I had one, but I currently own a cat & a dog, so not a good environment for a wee bun-bun! :(

#673 Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Just discovered this thread and am so excited it exists. What adorable photos and heartwarming stories of all these sweet buns! I lost my Holland lop, Monster, about a year ago. He was the best little dude ever, though he had quite an attitude.

Has anyone else seen this list of The 33 Most Important Bunny Gifs on the Internet? Hysterical. #32 and #11 are the best.

#674 Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I grew up with a white rabbit called Washington whom I loved. This year my roomate randomly bought a dwarf rabbit on the spur of the moment and bought it home, even though we couldn't really keep it. I was really mad at her for buying it without asking me and didn't really pay any attention to it, but after having it for two weeks I fell in love. She was the cutest little rabbit. But then my roommate realised her mistake and ended up getting rid of her :(. Just after I'd gotten attached. Here's some photos of her with my lizard. 

Tom and Werewolf Girl like this.
#675 Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Bunny question! I got 2 rabbits a few months ago (someone had bred them for Easter and couldn't sell them) and they weren't at all aggressive. One suddenly started jumping up to bite and claw me. Last night it started attacking the other one. I have her in a large cat carrier for now, and neither can stay overnight in the outdoor run I have. I can't use the other cage as it has a disabled Guinea pig in it. Will her aggressiveness go away? What might be causing it? They are both female.
#676 Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post

Bunny question! I got 2 rabbits a few months ago (someone had bred them for Easter and couldn't sell them) and they weren't at all aggressive. One suddenly started jumping up to bite and claw me. Last night it started attacking the other one. I have her in a large cat carrier for now, and neither can stay overnight in the outdoor run I have. I can't use the other cage as it has a disabled Guinea pig in it. Will her aggressiveness go away? What might be causing it? They are both female.

Rabbits can be territorial and aggressive when they mature. I suggest getting them spayed.  Once I finally had my rabbits spayed (both have passed on now sad.gif) the change in their behavior was like night and day.

#677 Old 07-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post

Here's some photos of her with my lizard. 

Adorable! And I'm sorry she wasn't able to stay.

#678 Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyApple View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post

Rabbits can be territorial and aggressive when they mature. I suggest getting them spayed.  Once I finally had my rabbits spayed (both have passed on now sad.gif
) the change in their behavior was like night and day.
Yup. Sounds like they hit puberty.

Spaying female rabbits is absolutely mandatory, anyway. Unspayed bunny girls have VERY high rates of ovarian cancer, which usually kills them somewhere around 2-4 years old. Spayed, they can live 10+ years.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Tom likes this.
#679 Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Yup. Sounds like they hit puberty.

Spaying female rabbits is absolutely mandatory, anyway. Unspayed bunny girls have VERY high rates of ovarian cancer, which usually kills them somewhere around 2-4 years old. Spayed, they can live 10+ years.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

^^ Like Fromper and CrazyApple said, it definitely sounds like they hit puberty. Please do get them spayed!! My rabbit was super docile and cuddly when we first adopted him, but he also became very aggressive and would bite/spray regularly once he reached that stage. It didn't go away--yikes.

#680 Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM

I love rabbits and have had many long eared friends throughout my life.

I currently am the proud mommy of Rabbit Hoppenheimer. "Hoppy" is a handsome neutered male who is white and wild color (wild color only on his ears, tail and paws) with red eyes. He was adopted from our local shelter and is a bit of a special needs guy.

At first I thought he might be sick and in pain, but the vet has tested him for everything and he is normal and healthy, except he can't stand to be touched. His skin gets all crawly and he goes nuts. But at the same time he likes to sit next to me on the sofa, and follows me around, as long as I don't touch him, so I don't think he is fearful. He just runs away when I touch him or when other pets or people touch him too. He has a blind cat as an animal companion, who loves to cuddle. But Hoppy either runs away or bites him (if Roswell is persistent) when he tries to cuddle. Poor Roswell seems to have hurt feelings but then just comes over to me after it happens.  

The only touch Hoppy is tolerant of is wire mesh or metal bars and his dishes/litter pan and of course the floor, couch etc. I also have to keep a wire cage for him because he likes to spend a lot of time in his cage. I tried to put it away thinking it was holding him back from understanding he is a house rabbit now and can spend all his time on the bed or sofa, but he became frantic looking for it. As soon as I brought it back, he went inside and laid down and didn't leave it for the rest of the day.

He is very cage focused and it took me a while to move his food and water out of the cage. He won't tolerate his litter pan anywhere but his cage. Although he wasn't litter trained when I first got him, but as soon as I put one in, he used it immediately. If I try to move the litter, he just continues to potty in his cage, so it stays there. 

I have a friend who is a pediatric occupational therapist who is currently working with me and the vet to acclimate him to touch. After much discussion and evaluation we think he may have been in a cage by himself and rarely touched for his entire life. I know he was dumped at the shelter as a full grown in tact fully mature male and waited for over 6 months until I found him. So we think that touch is uncomfortable to him because he never developed the neural pathways to have his brain properly process it.

My friend noted that he has many of the same responses as some of the children who are recently adopted from overseas orphanages who are often in such crowded conditions that their care takers never have time to give them the touch and love they need to fully develop. So we have been giving him similar therapies to what OTs use with these neglected toddlers/children and he is showing improvement. 

He may never be a normal bunny, but that is fine with me, as long as he is a healthy and happy bunny. We are on this journey together and he doesn't need to be anyone other than who he is. As much as I want a cuddle bunny, I still have other pets to cuddle. And its no fun if the cuddling isn't enjoyed by both. 

I've never seen this in a rabbit before, and when I was a cruelty investigator, I rescued some from horrible conditions and helped them through the adjustment. Although Hoppy has only been a part of our family since Feb, so I'm not worried yet. 

Has anyone else had a bunny with similar behaviors? If so what did you do to help them through it? I'd love to get any feedback or advice that any other bunny lovers have to offer. 

Tom likes this.
#681 Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread's due for a resurrection, and I've got the perfect excuse! Today's the 6 year anniversary of the day I found Flash!!! I can't believe the little guy's been with me for 6 whole years. He's as cute as ever, and has gotten even more cuddling and loving as he's gotten older. smitten.gif

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#682 Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

This thread's due for a resurrection, and I've got the perfect excuse! Today's the 6 year anniversary of the day I found Flash!!! I can't believe the little guy's been with me for 6 whole years. He's as cute as ever, and has gotten even more cuddling and loving as he's gotten older. smitten.gif

--Fromper
juggle.gif

Awww, that's so wonderful! Are you doing anything special for your anniversary? Maybe giving him some extra carrots? tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#683 Old 04-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Quote:

--Fromper
juggle.gif

Awww, that's so wonderful! Are you doing anything special for your anniversary? Maybe giving him some extra carrots? tongue3.gif
Nothing special planned, though I did give him an extra treat before leaving for work this morning.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#684 Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

My baby's getting old. Flash has heart disease. bigcry.gif

The vet gave me some medication and vitamins to give him daily, and said that with proper treatment, he could still easily live another year or two. But he's not quite six and a half, so I wasn't expecting something like this so soon. My sister has had four bunnies who lived past 9 years old, and it's looking like Flash won't ever get to that age. sad.gif

But he's not dead yet, and he's still got plenty of time, so I just need to keep giving him the best life I can provide for the little guy. Lots of cuddles and treats, as always.

He was totally freaked out after spending all day at the vet yesterday. Unfortunately, getting an ultrasound to examine his insides in detail is an all day appointment, where I had to drop him off in the morning and pick him up at the end of the day, and that totally freaked him out. It's the first time I've "boarded" him away from home in nearly two years, even if it was only for 9 hours.

When we got home, he dove into his food in his cage and didn't stop eating for a whole hour. He's usually a grazer, so this was odd for him. They supposedly fed him at the vet's office, but he might have been too freaked out to eat. I forgot to ask how much he ate while he was there.

But all evening, he just wasn't acting like himself. He seemed depressed. Normally after a vet appointment, he runs around and acts very happy to get home, but he didn't this time. And he wasn't running from me, like he normally would if he was afraid that I was going to pick him up and take him some place again. He just sat and let me do whatever I wanted to him, which in itself is weird behavior for him. He usually has more attitude than that.

Given that he was acting perfectly healthy before the appointment, it made me wonder what happened to freak him out THAT badly. I almost thought there might be something physically wrong with him that was causing him immediate pain, unlike the heart condition, which doesn't seem to affect him on a day to day basis. But this morning, he was starting to act more normal, though not entirely happy, so I guess he might have just been freaked out last night.

Tonight, I'll have to freak him out again when I start giving him the medication. I might try just squirting it on his morning pellets starting tomorrow, instead of picking him up and trying to squirt it directly into his mouth. The vet said that as long as I'm sure he'll eat the pellets, that should work. I didn't want to mess with any of it last night or this morning, since I was still trying to cheer him up and let him settle back in at home.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#685 Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Awe Fromper I looked thru previous posts and seen pics of Flash hes adorable and I hope he feels better it must of been a long day full of tests he just isn't used to. It takes me a few days after a doctors visit to get over it especially when they take blood :/ Extra cuddles for Flash smiley.gif
#686 Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

They didn't take blood at the vet on Tuesday. It was just the ultrasound. They had actually drawn blood during his checkup a few weeks ago, which is when they noticed his abdomen was sensitive, which is what led to the xray and ultrasound. I think he was just freaked out from the whole experience in general, spending the day away from home, seeing larger animals (dogs especially) at the vet's office that scared him, getting wrapped up and held down while they did the ultrasound, etc.

He was doing much better last night. I was still a little worried in the early evening, because he still seemed a little lethargic, but he's sometimes like that for the first hour or two after I get home, while he's still waking up from his afternoon nap. But by the end of the evening, he was just about back to his normal self. Not quite as active and playful as I'd like to see, but definitely more normal.

One piece of good news: he seems to like the taste of the heart medication. So I think I'll be able to get away with just squirting it on to his pellets every morning, instead of having to pick him up and squirt it into his mouth from a syringe. I think the jury's still out on the taste of the vitamins.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#687 Old 05-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry Flash is sick! I hope he responds to treatment!

#688 Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM

My Bunny Nibbles is almost 2 years old so he is still pretty young. He used to be in my room but then he started to thump a lot in the night and wake me up so we moved him downstairs into our kitchen so I could leave him out to roam free and he wouldn't wake anyone when he got spooked by nothing during the night as he so often did. He has never been a very friendly bunny but he was always very active running round like crazy and doing little hops and jumps. However he started to get a little aggressive so we got him neutered but since we got him neutered and moved him downstairs he will not come out of his cage at all. I leave treats out and he does not even care. It got to the point where he'd had no exercise in a week so I took him out and he ran straight back in so then I tried taking him out and shutting his cage so he couldn't get back in. And only then does he start to look around i feel so mean doing it but he's just gonna get ill sitting in his cage all the time right? 
Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks
#689 Old 05-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry Flash has a heart ailment- but I'm glad he likes his medicine. That will make things easier for both of you. I hope you both have lots of happy years ahead of you!

Dani, I don't know what to suggest. Do you have a bond with Nibbles? Does he like your company? My last two rabbits were different personalities: they bonded with each other, but although Hans was fairly affectionate to me also, Franz wasn't. Franz didn't hate me- he just didn't seem to care that much if I petted him or not.

Since Nibbles is your only rabbit, maybe it will be easier for him to warm up to you. You could try laying down on the floor when he's out of his cage.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#690 Old 05-22-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I'm sorry Flash has a heart ailment- but I'm glad he likes his medicine. That will make things easier for both of you. I hope you both have lots of happy years ahead of you!

Dani, I don't know what to suggest. Do you have a bond with Nibbles? Does he like your company? My last two rabbits were different personalities: they bonded with each other, but although Hans was fairly affectionate to me also, Franz wasn't. Franz didn't hate me- he just didn't seem to care that much if I petted him or not.

Since Nibbles is your only rabbit, maybe it will be easier for him to warm up to you. You could try laying down on the floor when he's out of his cage.
to be honest he's not much bothered by anything or anyone at the moment he's just scared of everything! my last bunny was nothing like this so I really have no idea how to deal with it. I will try just sitting in the room with him and let him get used to me again because when he was in my room he used to come up to me maybe hes just upset at being moved. but it has been a few weeks and he still seems so depressed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page