adopting an older dog - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Beginner

For a long time I've wanted a dog. I told myself I'd wait until my daughter, who's almost 18 months, is at least 3 so I can have time to train the dog properly. I always assumed I'd get a puppy because I worry about older dogs with my daughter.

Well, my husband (foolishly - LOL) told me about someone he knows that needs to rehome their two labs. I really, really want a lab. I grew up with one and so I have a special place in my heart for them. These two dogs are 3, supposedly well trained and were raised around kids.

I would love to take these dogs, but I've never gotten a dog as an adult. I've, personally, never adopted a dog and only had the ones I grew up with and my parents always got them as puppies. I don't really know anything about adopting an older dog.

Is it a smart idea to get an older dog with my child being so young? Is it smart to try and take on two of them at the same time? How long does it take for most dogs to adjust to a new family?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegton View Post

For a long time I've wanted a dog. I told myself I'd wait until my daughter, who's almost 18 months, is at least 3 so I can have time to train the dog properly. I always assumed I'd get a puppy because I worry about older dogs with my daughter.

Well, my husband (foolishly - LOL) told me about someone he knows that needs to rehome their two labs. I really, really want a lab. I grew up with one and so I have a special place in my heart for them. These two dogs are 3, supposedly well trained and were raised around kids.

I would love to take these dogs, but I've never gotten a dog as an adult. I've, personally, never adopted a dog and only had the ones I grew up with and my parents always got them as puppies. I don't really know anything about adopting an older dog.

Is it a smart idea to get an older dog with my child being so young? Is it smart to try and take on two of them at the same time? How long does it take for most dogs to adjust to a new family?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

well, unfortunately i don't have any about getting an adult dog when you have a younger child. labs are notorious for being good with children though, as i'm sure you know, and i think adopting older dogs (or adopting any dog for that matter) is absolutely a noble thing to do!
#3 Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

3? "Older"? When I saw the title of the thread, my mind immediately went to my dad's experience of adopting a 14 year old greyhound.

Three years old is a great age to adopt a dog! They should already be house broken, past the over-hyper puppy stage, and already used to people. Just make sure to take your baby to meet the dogs first to make sure they're ok with a child. While labs are usually fine with kids, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, older dogs are great because they are housebroken, leash trained, etc. As well, they tend to be a lot calmer (and thus more kid friendly) and their personalities are fully developed, so you are more likely to know what to expect.
#5 Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

The main problems with getting older dogs is retraining them to your rules (no couch, no tug-o-war, no counter surfing) and train them out of the habits that you don't like. A young adult dog is a very good idea, they are like a 30yr old person, past the partying stage, but still healthy enough to have fun. This is about the age most people looking for adult dogs want. Labs are notoriously good with children (as I tell people, I could probably take their leg off and they would just lick my face, they are that good).
#6 Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Here I thought you were considering adopting a dog that was at least 10 years old and likely to need lots of medical attention in the next few years. Three years is very young and still quite adaptable.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 07-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Beginner

LOL. Yeah, I guess 3 isn't "old" but I'm just used to always getting puppies.
#8 Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that an adult dog is a better match for a family with a young child. Adult dogs are usually a bit calmer, may have had some training, and their personality is fairly set. Also, you'll never have to go through that teething stage in which everything is a chew toy. Or, for that matter, have to teach bite inhibition when you've got a toddler.
#9 Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM

I've adopted an older dog and I've adopted puppies too. I think it's fine. And a good idea to meet the dogs, maybe have them spend a day or two at your house to see how they do. I would never seperate animals that have spent a long time together either.

I'm sure their owners would allow you to have them for a trial weekend or something like that, to see how they act towards your child.
#10 Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 PM

i know this is an older post, sorry.

my dog was 6 when i adopter her. she's a german shepherd mix, so there's surely breed differences. she's around kids all the time; however, i don't have any of my own. the thing i most appreciate about her is that she's patient with kids, even really young ones. if she's annoyed by a little kid, she'll get up and move somewhere else, but she'd never lash out at one.

i think i would prefer to introduce a child to an older dog rather than a younger one because younger dogs tend to have more energy and are more likely to jump on/knock over small children. that, or play a little rough. i think it's a definite benefit that these labs were raised around children - i say, go for it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page