Cat question! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2009, 05:16 PM

Hey all.

My younger cat, Phoebe, is a generally well-behaved cat. If there is such a thing. But for years and years she's had a bad habit of sometimes just peeing on some random object. My father lost a few gym bags to this tendency. It's not a matter of sharing a litterbox with her older brother because they don't, nor is it a matter of cleanliness because I keep them clean. Sometimes she just doesn't use it. What could this be?

The latest thing for her has been my family's water supply. We buy Poland Spring by the case and today I came home to find that she had peed on it. Again. That's twice this week.

What the heck could this be? Could something be wrong with my Phoebe? Any light shed would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The first thing to do whenever there is inappropriate elimination with a cat is to head to the vet. Physical problems can cause a cat to urinate in places other than the litter box. My cat Mia would pee on the bed whenever she had a urinary infection. Whereas Simon will pee on the couch if he's overly stressed and on everything if his interstitial cystitis is flaring. There's no sense spending much time evaluating the environment until you've double checked her health with the vet.

You might want to try different types of litter, boxes and locations. Cats can be really specific and can suddenly develop aversions to places or environments. For two cats you should have a minimum of 3 boxes in the house, each cleaned daily. My cats prefer a fine grained, unscented, clumping litter and pretty much refuse to use anything else.

My cat Simon will inappropriately urinate when he's stressed by something like a new dog, a move, visitors, or the planetary alignments. Using Feliway has really helped this, it's a phermone based product that is design to soothe cats. I use the spray format that I can spritz directly on the area that I just cleaned as well as his favourite hangouts. For Simon stress can play a role and we'll occasionally do short courses of a drug to help reduce his anxiety. He's done two short courses of Clomicalm and they've made a huge difference for him at the time.
#3 Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

One of my cats, Phantom, does this a lot too. With her, I almost think she just likes the feeling of the carpet (or the towel on the floor in front of the shower) better than her litter. She is getting better, though... As mentioned above, the first thing to check for is a UTI at the vet. If she's healthy, it could just be a texture issue or something to that effect... maybe she doesn't like where the litter box is located, or maybe she was using it one day and something startled her... I know sprays exist that can calm cats if its a nervous issue, and I believe there's one for keeping cats away from certain areas, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page