Stupid People! (man letting birds run loose) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I swear, I can't walk out my door w/o tripping over these unthinking people!

A person down the road has ducks and geese that he lets run loose. There is a ditch across the road full of water, so naturally they want to swim in it and cross the road all the time. Last night, I was driving by w/ my son in the car and 2 of the ducks had obviously just gotten hit by a car. They were flattend but still moving I beeped the horn so that the man would come out to take care of them. I could see he was on his way so I left. I knew what was next and I didn't want my little guy to see that. Naturally, he had lots of questions, "Are they going to die?" I had to explain to him that, yes, they were and as sad as it was I hoped it would be sooner than later so they didn't suffer. We also talked about how irresponsible it was to have pets that are just left to wander and be hurt or killed. We were both sad and mad.

It did take all the restraint I could muster not to give a speech to this thoughtless person right there in the middle of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Again today....pouring rain, had to slam on the breaks for the duckie parade. Thankfully, they're all okay. I don't know if I can say the same for my groceries that landed upside down on the floor.

The ducks and geese are adorable and I love them, I just wish they weren't allowed in the road.
#3 Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

How terrible I wish he wouldn't let them run loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Our ducks used to wander across the road for no apparent reason and one time I almost had a heartattack as I ran out and saw them all crossing the road... probably cut 5 years off my life but the guy stopped I could have hugged him! Unfortunately one of our ducks did get killed one day :'(
#5 Old 07-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It is really sad that they can run loose and risk getting hit by a car. Do you leave in the country? If so, it's nicer that they get "free reign" of the area than to be kept cooped up all day in space too small for them. It would be nice if maybe your neighbor could keep them in a fenced area with a pond of their own, but that would be too perfect, probably. If you are this concerned, maybe you should go have a friendly neighborly chat with him (sans your son and your anger) and discuss how worried you are about the ducks and geese? Who knows, maybe he'll come around.
#6 Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I swear, I can't walk out my door w/o tripping over these unthinking people!

A person down the road has ducks and geese that he lets run loose. There is a ditch across the road full of water, so naturally they want to swim in it and cross the road all the time. Last night, I was driving by w/ my son in the car and 2 of the ducks had obviously just gotten hit by a car. They were flattend but still moving I beeped the horn so that the man would come out to take care of them. I could see he was on his way so I left. I knew what was next and I didn't want my little guy to see that. Naturally, he had lots of questions, "Are they going to die?" I had to explain to him that, yes, they were and as sad as it was I hoped it would be sooner than later so they didn't suffer. We also talked about how irresponsible it was to have pets that are just left to wander and be hurt or killed. We were both sad and mad.

It did take all the restraint I could muster not to give a speech to this thoughtless person right there in the middle of the road.

I am curious if you know for certain they are his ducks and geese?

The reason I ask I there is a guy about a mile from me, his property is partial wet lands, and boarders more wet lands. Ducks and geese hang out in his yard and wander around all the time. He doesn't do anything to promote them hanging out, nor does he discourage them from hanging out.

I am also curious short of clipping their wings and or fencing in the whole property with some kind of overhead screen, how do you contain ducks and geese? I am assuming they are like the ducks and geese we have here in Washington State, ours can and do fly all the times.
#7 Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

I am curious if you know for certain they are his ducks and geese?

The reason I ask I there is a guy about a mile from me, his property is partial wet lands, and boarders more wet lands. Ducks and geese hang out in his yard and wander around all the time. He doesn't do anything to promote them hanging out, nor does he discourage them from hanging out.

I am also curious short of clipping their wings and or fencing in the whole property with some kind of overhead screen, how do you contain ducks and geese? I am assuming they are like the ducks and geese we have here in Washington State, ours can and do fly all the times.

My boys ride the bus w/ his son (elementary age kids) and he told them they're his. You're right, other than coup them which would be mean too, there's probably not much he can do. It's just a dangerous situation for both the ducks and the drivers. No good answer probably.*shrug*
#8 Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

My boys ride the bus w/ his son (elementary age kids) and he told them they're his. You're right, other than coup them which would be mean too, there's probably not much he can do. It's just a dangerous situation for both the ducks and the drivers. No good answer probably.*shrug*

well I would expect an elementry school kid to claim ownership of anything that hangs out in his yard.

That being said it is kinda hard to claim ownership on an animal that can fly away.... so he might not be as stupid as you first suggested?
#9 Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

Ours used to fly out of their pen and as we sometimes had to lock them up (if the pasture got sprayed next door, or duck season) then I would do it, it just involved trimming off the longer feathers on the wing, it doesnt hurt at all... would just be like cutting your hair. It does hurt the trimmer tho if they arent careful... I still have my scars.

Also, they sometimes wander if they get bored, so if you lock them up for a while then let them out they might stay put.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page