Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

There is a Whole Foods opening in Ontario:

Oakville

Whole Foods Market

301 Cornwall Road

Oakville, Ontario Canada L6J 7Z5

905.815.0794 fax

Opening May 4th, 2005

Still no Whole Foods for Indianapolis ...

I'm surprised!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 04-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I use Seventh Generation. I'm fairly happy with it, although I don't know if you'd like it considering how heavily soiled your clothes are. I keep a big stack of rags in my kitchen to wipe up my toddler son after meals and snacks and they get really gross. I wash them with the Seventh Generation stuff and they look clean but they don't smell clean. I will have to figure out a way to solve this problem.

You might try adding some white vinegar (instead of softener) during the rinse cycle. See if that improves the smell situation.
#63 Old 04-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Ecos, Seventh Generation or Miracle II Soap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 04-12-2005, 03:34 PM

I use Method, which can be bought at Target for pretty cheap or Mrs. Meyers liquid detergent in Geranium. I'm currently using the Mrs. Meyers, and I love the smell. I think it gets close very clean too.
#65 Old 04-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I use Seventh Generation. I'm fairly happy with it, although I don't know if you'd like it considering how heavily soiled your clothes are. I keep a big stack of rags in my kitchen to wipe up my toddler son after meals and snacks and they get really gross. I wash them with the Seventh Generation stuff and they look clean but they don't smell clean. I will have to figure out a way to solve this problem.

I try to stay away from the conventional products because as Christy's list showed, they are filled with petrochemicals.

Ahh!! I forgot I posted this in here. I don't use Seventh Generation anymore....I've switched almost all of my cleaning products to something different because I've discovered stuff that works better. Seventh Generation is kind of a dissapointment for me...

Anyway...

I've been using Mrs. Meyers in Lavender for the laundry, and Ecos for my delicates. I also HIGHLY recommend Envirorite products. I buy mine online at www.envirorite.com or at the Living Green Expo in St. Paul every year. I used their laundry wash today for the first time. He had blueberries for breakfast and he managed to get them all over his white shirt ( ) but I soaked his shirt in the sinkwith the Envirorite stuff and I just checked it and the stains are almost gone! I'm impressed.
#66 Old 04-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

I've been using Mrs. Meyers in Lavender for the laundry

Me too. I love Mrs. Meyers.
#67 Old 04-12-2005, 04:28 PM

I use Dr. Bronner's castile. Sometimes peppermint, sometimes tea tree. I used to use Sal Suds, but my sweetie is allergic to evergreens (Sal Suds contains fir & spruce.)
#68 Old 04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

Well, I'm a little disappointed.

Now that the snow is gone and it is good and muddy outside, this detergent isn't really cutting it. As much as I want to use an eco friendly, cost effective product, I won't sacrifice quality and have my kids running around looking all grubby. I'll have to come to a happy medium I guess. I'll still buy the eco friendly detergent, but I can't use it for everything.

So I picked up a bottle of liquid detergent with colour safe bleach, a store brand. It seems to work well enough, but holy cow was it perfumed! I'm not sure if I was just more sensitive to it because I've been using an unscented detergent for the last 6 months or so, or if it had an unusually strong fragrance.

Have you ever noticed that if you've switched from unscented products to scented ones they seem to smell very strong?
#69 Old 04-19-2005, 07:29 PM

Can anyone recommend an online source for Mrs. Meyers?

Also, what have you guys found to be the cheapest vegan laundry soap? I'm always looking for a good deal.
#70 Old 04-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

Have you ever noticed that if you've switched from unscented products to scented ones they seem to smell very strong?

Oh yes, I have. I can't stand the smell of conventional laundry detergent. My mom goes WAY overboard with the Tide and the fabric softener sheets...I remember that from when I was a kid (and clothes were itchy!) and she still does it. If she buys clothing for my son at a garage sale, she'll wash it before giving it to us and I almost gag when I open the bag of clothes. As a matter of fact, if it comes from my parents house - no matter what it is, it's usually going to smell like Tide or some other heavily fragranced soap/air freshener/potpourri. Yuck!
#71 Old 04-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Tide usually. I can't afford the non conventional eco friendly products at this moment in my life.
#72 Old 04-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

I use Tide usually. I can't afford the non conventional eco friendly products at this moment in my life.

I'm just curious about whether you have ever figured the price per load of the soap you use. The kind I am using is 15 cents a load. I wonder how it compares to the regular kinds. It has been so long since I have bought them, because of the perfumes, that I don't even know how much they cost or how much you use per load.
#73 Old 04-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't, actually. A thing of soap lasts me quite a long time because I keep it up at school with me and when I take it home, my Mom uses whatever detergent she has on hand.

I keep hoping that someone will enlighten me with a list of eco friendly products that are suprisingly cheap...but no luck this far. During the summer when I do have my own income, I do my best to buy eco friendly products and to eat better, too.

Anyway, the bottle of Tide I have cost about $6. I would say I've got 25 washes or so out of it. So thats .24 cents a wash, which isn't better than the product you are using. Perhaps I am not taking the amount/uses into account?
#74 Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Method works out to be under 20 cents per load.
#75 Old 04-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post

Can anyone recommend an online source for Mrs. Meyers?

Also, what have you guys found to be the cheapest vegan laundry soap? I'm always looking for a good deal.

Hi Rowan, you can order directly from www.mrsmeyers.com and I also found it on www.drugstore.com.

I also found some Charlie's soap products on drugstore.com. Isn't that the stuff you use, Sunny?
#76 Old 04-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I also found some Charlie's soap products on drugstore.com. Isn't that the stuff you use, Sunny?

Yep. They sell it off of their site for about $12 for a 2 1/2 (or so) lb of powder that does 80 loads. It is packaged in a paper bag.

I love that you only have to use a table-spoon per load and that makes it easy to carry on trips/camping, etc.
#77 Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 PM
Impeach the gangster

Sometimes I go to a janitorial supply store and buy a gallon of biodegradable detergent concentrate for about $15. It lasts forever and can be use to clean just about everything- counters, floors, bathtub, laundry. A little goes a long way. A teaspoon is plenty for doing a load of laundry. Or put a couple of tablespoons in a spray bottle of water as a general cleaner.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#78 Old 12-16-2017, 09:53 AM

@Capstan

I am intrigued. Something like this?

Simple Green

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#79 Old 12-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBuddha View Post
@Capstan

I am intrigued. Something like this?

Simple Green
Yes, exactly. I'm using that very one (original) right now. It's much easier than buying one soap for this, another for that, etc. Saves money too. I bought it out of a hardware store.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Last edited by Capstan; 12-16-2017 at 06:21 PM.
#80 Old 12-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I switched last year to Method. I still buy it online but I have started seeing it in most stores now.
https://methodhome.com/shop/
#81 Old 03-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

https://www.diynatural.com/homemade-...ergent-soap/2/

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
#82 Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Attn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Jonker View Post
I apologize for posting this. I didn't realize that FELS NAPTHA has tallow in it. FELS NAPTHA isn't vegan. "Dr. Bonner's" does make vegan soap though. You could use that instead.

My wife is vegan like me. She makes big batches of her own laundry soap. We can usually do six months worth of laundry with them. My wife says, that in the long run, it's a lot cheaper to do your laundry this way.

Here's another recipe for diy vegan laundry soap: https://www.peta.org/living/humane-h...dry-detergent/

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Ger Jonker; 03-07-2018 at 10:50 AM.
#83 Old 03-17-2018, 04:53 AM

Try HERBON, Australian made, I have been using it for over 30 years. Often available to decant into a bring your own container at bulk health foods outlets. Alternatively I order it by the 20 litre drum direct from the maker and decant it off into my 2 liter fruit juice [plastic eeek!] bottles. I dilute it 3 water to one detergent with a dash of eucalyptus essential oil in a pump bottle dispenser for dishwashing and all my general cleaning purposes. I use spirits of orange and euca oil for the tough stuff and gumption or bicarb/vinegar for all other general cleaning. For Laundry I use a laundry ball and a capful of HERBON and a squirt of my favorite least expensive essential oil....flavour of the day. Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page