Sun & Earth 0 0%
Oxyclean 0 0%
Dr. Bronner's - Sal Suds 0 0%
Life Tree 0 0%
Other 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 12-18-2003, 01:36 PM

I think that I have Ecos at home, which cleans the clothes well enough, but I can't stand the scent! It reminds me of a very strong cheap men's cologne. Everytime I use it, I get an awful headache while folding the laundry. I'm using it up, because I don't want to waste it, but I won't buy it again. I've used Seventh Generation in the past, which was OK at cleaning but had a nice scent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I use what I can find on sale that fits my limited budget these days... My clothes don't get that dirty, mostly I'm rinsing them out. I have to use this disgusting smelling iron remover for my white clothes though because my plumbing is OLD and the main feed to the house is rusty inside. Bleach doesn't get the iron out.
#33 Old 12-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=leebee]I think that I have Ecos at home, which cleans the clothes well enough, but I can't stand the scent! QUOTE]

I have Ecos and I don't like the scent, either. I also have Seventh Generation, but I don't think it's cleaning abilities are anything to "write home about". I just asked my local HFS to order some of Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds. I read that this stuff works great on clothes and smells good, too. I hope I end up liking it. Either way...at the end of the day, I just wanted to say that I agreed with the comment that Ecos smells funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-25-2003, 02:24 PM

I make my own soap and use my soap shreds for laundry detergent.
#35 Old 12-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro View Post

Wow, is it hard to make soap? How well does the soap shreds work on your laundry? Would it work with a front loading machine?
#36 Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope its okay to revive this old thread.

I just started using Country Save and so far so good. Very reasonably priced too.

A lot of the other enviro-friendly detergents are about 3 times the price as the standard brand name detergents and that is just not affordable for our family.

http://countrysave.com/prods.php
#37 Old 02-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Method.
#38 Old 02-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I live with my mom but I try to ask if she will buy vegan detergents. I think the only vegan affordable one I've seen so far is by Trader Joe's.
#39 Old 02-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I make my own soap and use my soap shreds for laundry detergent
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarealskei View Post

Wow, is it hard to make soap? How well does the soap shreds work on your laundry? Would it work with a front loading machine?

i second the questions: how well do the shreds work on laundry, and does this work in a front-loader? i am interested in making my own soap, and if this works it would be a great problem solved.
#40 Old 02-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I normally don't use detergent. I have been using the tsunami discs for about 9 years. It only costs $40 from Harmony magazine and lasts 500 loads which is about 5 years for me. It's only for basic cleaning though. If I have stains I use about 1/8 cup and some cider vinegar along with it. I use Sun and Earth for this. I bottle lasts me about 6-9 months.
#41 Old 02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been using Seventh Generation and it suits me just fine.
#42 Old 02-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Trader Joe's brand, not sure what it's called. Also, my husband has allergy problems with many perfumed detergents, and this doesn't bother him at all.
#43 Old 02-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Baby Love

I alternate between Method and a huge bottle of convential cheapie stuff I've had sitting around.
#44 Old 03-12-2005, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I used to do this. Now I found a recipe for laundry soap bars. Sometimes I use Ecover, when I don't have any bars ready. It works well and has a light scent that isn't gross. I like the bars the best though!
#45 Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I buy a brand called "Sun" but I assume it's different from Sun & Earth, so I voted Other. It says "not tested on animals" on the label (which is why I buy it over other brands), but I don't know if it's vegan or ecofriendly. I buy it from Big Lots because it's very cheap there, but they also sell it at Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart.

I buy this same brand kpickell. I love "Sun." It gets my clothes clean and the price is unbeatable too.

How can you eat anything with eyes? ~ Will Kellogg
#46 Old 03-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted for Ecos because that's what I'm using at the moment, but I've also used Seventh Generation and the Trader Joe's brand. All are acceptable to me.

*this space not for sale*
#47 Old 03-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I use Earth Choice. It's very cheap, unscented, works well on most washes, bio-friendly, Australian owned and made, not tested on animals and I can get it from the supermarket.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#48 Old 03-15-2005, 03:58 PM

We use Trader joes, and recently my sister started using Planet. I guess we were talking and I said it was stupid for people who support things they know is wrong and she thought about it and said yeah that's right. So now she is buying more environmentally conscience products!
#49 Old 03-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You should give Country Save a try. Very effective, reasonably priced and lasts forever, you only use 1/4 cup for a full load.

I highly recommend it!

http://countrysave.com

I just realized I posted a similar post earlier in the thread. Sorry for the duplication.
#50 Old 03-15-2005, 05:29 PM

I didn't see the brand I use listed. It is environmentally friendly, and cheaper per use than Walmart brands, but works better. 1/8 of a cup is all it takes. I live on a lake so I feel responsible for using a detergent that will not harm it. Because I have a family, I feel I owe it to them to use products that will not harm them. Think about where you buy your laundry detergent. As you are walking down that aisle, does the smell overpower you? That is the fumes coming from SEALED bottles! They don't stop doing that once you get them home. It is a process called outgassing. Look it up. Many common ailments are being linked to the exposure to this.

If anyone is interested, send me an email. I'd love to discuss this with you!
#51 Old 04-07-2005, 04:17 PM

I mostly use Sun & Earth, but I also use Seventh Generation. Basically whatever I can get cheapest!
#52 Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I started a whole thread about my laundy soap woes. I found a great replacement, the powder from www.charliesoap.com. You only need 1 Tablespoon per load, and it has no fragrance, is vegan and ecologically sound, all around.
#53 Old 04-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

You should give Country Save a try. Very effective, reasonably priced and lasts forever, you only use 1/4 cup for a full load.

I highly recommend it!

http://countrysave.com

Well, I'm a little disappointed.

Now that the snow is gone and it is good and muddy outside, this detergent isn't really cutting it. As much as I want to use an eco friendly, cost effective product, I won't sacrifice quality and have my kids running around looking all grubby. I'll have to come to a happy medium I guess. I'll still buy the eco friendly detergent, but I can't use it for everything.

#54 Old 04-11-2005, 05:57 PM

I currently have Seventh Generation, and one called "Planet" (I believe). I always buy vegan laundry detergent. It is not enough for a company to exclude testing their product on animals; they must also have no animal ingredients in their product.

ETA ... I usually buy any vegan brand that is on sale at Wild Oats.
#55 Old 04-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I get something called Soapworks from Trader Joe's. (I think it's "Amilya's Soapworks" if I can read the print correctly.)

I love it because it's hypo-allergenic so I can use it for baby clothes, it's got the cruelty-free logo on it, it's inexpensive, and the scooper is so small, it lasts a really really long time.
#56 Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

I currently have Seventh Generation, and one called "Planet" (I believe). I always buy vegan laundry detergent. It is not enough for a company to exclude testing their product on animals; they must also have no animal ingredients in their product.

ETA ... I usually buy any vegan brand that is on sale at Wild Oats.

Once again FR rubs it in that we in Canada don't have a Wild Oats! (or Whole Foods or Trader Joes for that matter...)

Oh, relax, I'm just kidding!
#57 Old 04-11-2005, 06:47 PM

Actually, Canada does have a Wild Oats (Capers) located in British Columbia.
#58 Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Banned

I use Mrs. Meyers Clean day.
#59 Old 04-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

Actually, Canada does have a Wild Oats (Capers) located in British Columbia.

Really? I didn't know that. Considering I'm on the prairies, that's a long walk! Oh well, maybe one day...
#60 Old 04-11-2005, 07:16 PM

There is a Whole Foods opening in Ontario:

Oakville

Whole Foods Market

301 Cornwall Road

Oakville, Ontario Canada L6J 7Z5

905.815.0794 fax

Opening May 4th, 2005

Still no Whole Foods for Indianapolis ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page