dandruff shampoo??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I think I have the most finicky scalp in the world. I have tried to vinegar and water combo on my hair. I have tried the bath and body works ginger shampoo ( it made my scalp happy but my hair flat) and then I have tried the jason product and it isn't doing so hot and I have also tried the max green alchemy kind ( it didn't do so hot etiher)

Does any one have any ideas? what have you tried and had work for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2009, 04:23 AM
Banned

The most frequent cause for scalp itching is washing, conditioning or styling hair with products containing silicone, dimethicone, cyclomethicone or similar ingredient whose purpose is to impart high shine. These glossifying chemicals may create sensitivities in the scalp. Using products free of 'cones' is the best.

Also to get the best from our shampoo we recommend that you lather the hair and wait for two minutes before rinsing well... Feel free to email me for further ideas...
#3 Old 02-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I did all that... your product simply doesnt lather enough. I don't use any styling agents in my hair pretty much ever. I shampoo a couple of times eveytime . and yes I rinse as good as I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 AM

I have scalp psoriasis, which flares up in the winter, and itches like crazy... The only thing I've found that has given me some relief is T-gel (smells gross though)

Too hot water can irritate the scalp, and scratching the scalp only makes it worse...
#5 Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sher View Post

I have scalp psoriasis, which flares up in the winter, and itches like crazy... The only thing I've found that has given me some relief is T-gel (smells gross though)

Too hot water can irritate the scalp, and scratching the scalp only makes it worse...

maybe if I wash my hair in lukewarm water it wouldnt be soo bad. I do tend to take really hot baths. I do scratch but that is cause it itches reallly bad sometimes not all the time.
#6 Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 AM

I put rosemary essential oil on my scalp when it feels dry and itchy. Just don't use too much or you'll smell like a kitchen
#7 Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi View Post

maybe if I wash my hair in lukewarm water it wouldnt be soo bad. I do tend to take really hot baths. I do scratch but that is cause it itches reallly bad sometimes not all the time.

I take baths also... Hot ones, it's how I relax... but now I just take really long baths at night and when I'm ready to wash my hair the bath water isn't as hot, and I also add some cold water.

When my head is screaming "Oh MY GOD I HAVE TO SCRATCH!!!" I sort of push on my scalp, it gives it some relief, without further irritating the skin... kind of like some people do with bug bites

psoriasis is different then dandruff, but I know with psoriasis one isn't suppose to pick off the "crust" that builds up, as tempting as it is. As it works sort of like a scab, and helps heals the skin below. <--- Not meaning to get totally gross or anything
#8 Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Selson Salon, Selson Blue, and Selson Naturals are shampoos, and they are vegan. I emailed the company. Whether they will work for you hair or not, I don't know. They each have different active ingredients.
#9 Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

my bf really likes selson blue. good stuff.

anyway- have you taken your itchy head to the doctor to check out if there is actually something beyond shampoo related woes going on there?

the lather problem- what issue is it causing exactly?

not picking up flakes?

not feeling like you're getting the shampoo all over your head so patches feel icky when its dry?

hair not feeling clean generally (limp, droopy, etc)?

....cos different solutions would work for each of those.

also, have you tried an oil treatment? when my little bro had cradle cap we put warm baby oil on his scalp, massaged it in, left it wrapped up for a bit, then rinsed it out. helped a lot. you could use almond oil if you preferred.
#10 Old 02-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

Selson Salon, Selson Blue, and Selson Naturals are shampoos, and they are vegan. I emailed the company. Whether they will work for you hair or not, I don't know. They each have different active ingredients.

Ive tried that brand and the only major danrduff shampoo that worked was denorex and the type that has stuff in it known to cause cancer in califormia... I dont use it anymore though...
#11 Old 02-25-2009, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

my bf really likes selson blue. good stuff.

anyway- have you taken your itchy head to the doctor to check out if there is actually something beyond shampoo related woes going on there?

the lather problem- what issue is it causing exactly?

not picking up flakes?

not feeling like you're getting the shampoo all over your head so patches feel icky when its dry?

hair not feeling clean generally (limp, droopy, etc)?

....cos different solutions would work for each of those.

also, have you tried an oil treatment? when my little bro had cradle cap we put warm baby oil on his scalp, massaged it in, left it wrapped up for a bit, then rinsed it out. helped a lot. you could use almond oil if you preferred.

well, yeah i have been told that I dont lather enough and that it will go away... yeah... erm hmmm.... neither are true.... my problem is that I have an itchy scalp prone to getting very flaky for days, weeks , months at a time and then getting very itchy and then it will almost clear up and then it will get worse again... my hair hardly ever has anything but shampoo or conditioner applied to it so I know it isnt styling stuff building up on my scalp.maybe I will give selson blue another shot.... I think it at least made my scalp tingle... maybe I will try that thing with almond oil as well.
#12 Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sher View Post

I take baths also... Hot ones, it's how I relax... but now I just take really long baths at night and when I'm ready to wash my hair the bath water isn't as hot, and I also add some cold water.

When my head is screaming "Oh MY GOD I HAVE TO SCRATCH!!!" I sort of push on my scalp, it gives it some relief, without further irritating the skin... kind of like some people do with bug bites

psoriasis is different then dandruff, but I know with psoriasis one isn't suppose to pick off the "crust" that builds up, as tempting as it is. As it works sort of like a scab, and helps heals the skin below. <--- Not meaning to get totally gross or anything

maybe that is part of my problem... with the "scab" ewww... I have also tried to "push" and eventually I just give in to the itch and scratch cause it feeels soooo good. "lol" i know it is bad...
#13 Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

so have you had the doctor check it out?

could be something he could fix. like- if its psoriasis, its auto immune, the cells turn over too fast and aren't matured properly when they hit the surface, so you need proper stuff to stop the cycle and slow down cell production.

i have psoriasis on my knee. it drove me absolutely fricking nuts for years and years, until i mentioned it to the doctor in passing during a physical, got a cream, and then it was gone in a week. easy as pie.
#14 Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

so have you had the doctor check it out?

could be something he could fix. like- if its psoriasis, its auto immune, the cells turn over too fast and aren't matured properly when they hit the surface, so you need proper stuff to stop the cycle and slow down cell production.

i have psoriasis on my knee. it drove me absolutely fricking nuts for years and years, until i mentioned it to the doctor in passing during a physical, got a cream, and then it was gone in a week. easy as pie.

maybe next time i go to a different doc i will ask him about it. i was kinda angry when one doc told me i simply wasnt washing my hair good enough especially after dealing with this crap for my whole 23 years of life
#15 Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi View Post

maybe next time i go to a different doc i will ask him about it. i was kinda angry when one doc told me i simply wasnt washing my hair good enough especially after dealing with this crap for my whole 23 years of life

yeah, i'd be peeved too. you'd think after 23 years you'd have worked out how to wash your hair how cheeky was he! has your hairdresser commented on it? they wash hair all the time. she could have a look and see if she thinks its been washed ok, if you wanted a second opinion.

that said, i know that with some of the low-lather vegan shampoos (they often haven't got sodium laureth sulphate cos its a bit harsh, even though its vegan) it is tricky to get a good lather up, so i end up having to wash twice, and then it sends up really drying and irritating to my scalp, but the conditioners also suck (cos they've got no silicone), and i end up with really limp droopy icky feeling hair thats also weirdly a bit crunchy and my scalp is a bit itchy.

something that helps me a bit- you could maybe try sectioning out your shampoo when you apply it to your head- like instead of scooping a blob right into the middle of your head then rubbing it about and hoping there is enough foam to reach your hairline and behind your ears (there never is ) add a litle water to it, then take a bit of the blob and apply it to the front, another bit to the back, and one bit to either of the sides, then massage those bits individually, with loads of gentle finger wiggling. that helps me make up for the lack of lather. also i've found trying to focus the conditioner on the ends, then just running my hands over the rest of my hair, stops it getting all limp and weighed down.

um... other things off the top of my head- paul mitchell does little bottles of his stuff, so you could give that a go without wasting half a bottle- he has a mild shampoo that smells a bit like coconut, and a freaky blue looking conditioner that you apply after you get out of the shower, comb through, and leave in, they're not too bad. and i quite liked the samy brand too- they have a vegan line which i didn't find as dreadful as say.... avalon organics. you might also like giovanni- they have a teatree shampoo, and again, you can get travel size bottles to try out.

it might just be a trial and error thing. my brother had an itchy scalp for years and years, tried vosene and head and shoulders and everything, to no avail, until he found one brand in our healthfood store in england that didn't have any laureth sulphates, and he won't use anything else now. they don't lather for crap, but he doesn't itch either.

....definately give the oil a go, and ask a hairdresser (don't get sucked into buying their stuff though!) and ask another doc when you get the chance, and try some little sample size bottles of shampoos, and a different technique- have an experiment. worst comes to worst, then the doctor can't say you haven't tried.
#16 Old 02-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yeah, i'd be peeved too. you'd think after 23 years you'd have worked out how to wash your hair how cheeky was he! has your hairdresser commented on it? they wash hair all the time. she could have a look and see if she thinks its been washed ok, if you wanted a second opinion.

that said, i know that with some of the low-lather vegan shampoos (they often haven't got sodium laureth sulphate cos its a bit harsh, even though its vegan) it is tricky to get a good lather up, so i end up having to wash twice, and then it sends up really drying and irritating to my scalp, but the conditioners also suck (cos they've got no silicone), and i end up with really limp droopy icky feeling hair thats also weirdly a bit crunchy and my scalp is a bit itchy.

something that helps me a bit- you could maybe try sectioning out your shampoo when you apply it to your head- like instead of scooping a blob right into the middle of your head then rubbing it about and hoping there is enough foam to reach your hairline and behind your ears (there never is ) add a litle water to it, then take a bit of the blob and apply it to the front, another bit to the back, and one bit to either of the sides, then massage those bits individually, with loads of gentle finger wiggling. that helps me make up for the lack of lather. also i've found trying to focus the conditioner on the ends, then just running my hands over the rest of my hair, stops it getting all limp and weighed down.

um... other things off the top of my head- paul mitchell does little bottles of his stuff, so you could give that a go without wasting half a bottle- he has a mild shampoo that smells a bit like coconut, and a freaky blue looking conditioner that you apply after you get out of the shower, comb through, and leave in, they're not too bad. and i quite liked the samy brand too- they have a vegan line which i didn't find as dreadful as say.... avalon organics. you might also like giovanni- they have a teatree shampoo, and again, you can get travel size bottles to try out.

....definately give the oil a go, and ask a hairdresser (don't get sucked into buying their stuff though!) and ask another doc when you get the chance, and try some little sample size bottles of shampoos, and a different technique- have an experiment. worst comes to worst, then the doctor can't say you haven't tried.

those are def good suggestions. I will try the oil thing this weekend in case it gets my hair really cruddy . Thank you so much for your advice. I know I tried some paul mitchell once when I was about 12 that worked and I havent seen it anywhere since then... never occured to me to look online (DUH)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page