Sharing Bad Experiences with Vega Whole Foods Optimizer - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad View Post

I really hope this was sarcasm.

I really think s/he was serious, just a little harsh. I do see their point though. May not be true for everyone, but probably for some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Baby Love

I could understand getting "the runs" or other mild forms of indigestion when your body is trying to flush stuff out of your system. This sort of "cleansing" is one thing. Ending up with a dangerously high fever, severe vomiting, passing out, or being hospitalized is NOT part of a health promoting experience. I'm really not sure how anyone could associate this sort of pain as a path to wellness (pain=gain ).
#33 Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I take Vega nearly every morning for breakfast and have never experienced a single problematic issue.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 AM

Hi everyone , A lot of the bad symptoms people are describing hear I've also felt but when I switched to a vegetarian diet. I went vegetarian just over a year ago (43 years old) and it took about 3 weeks before I started not to feel sick all the time ...I had constant cramps, gas and diarrhea, nausea, low energy, headaches and low blood sugar, dizzyness and clammyness at times... it took a good 6 weeks until the gas and cramping started to subside and I started forming normal stools again. All in all it took about 3 months before I starting feeling really good and now I feel better than ever. Anyway I've been using 3 Flavors of Vega(don't like the vanilla chai) for a morning smoothie pretty much everyday for 3 months now without any problems and I really love the stuff. I'm also an athlete an have taken just about every MRP out there over the last 20 years I will say that any one of them could potentially give me some kind of indigestion or irregularity when taken alone as a liquid meal so I always try to incorporate them as true "supplement" additional to real whole food, rather than try to use them as a "substitute" for same. Vega doesn't taste so hot when mixed w/ just water anyway. My two cents.
#35 Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I've used Vega for a few years now and never had a problem. The smoothie powders and also the energy bars.
#36 Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM

I was searching online for side effects of vega and discovered this thread. ON the recommendation of a couple of friends who rave about it I started taking vega about 6 weeks ago. After a couple of weeks I was really feeling pretty unwell. Cramping and diarhea. I stopped taking it but am still getting the stomach cramps and rumbling in the stomach. Some days I feel good but others I get the symptoms. Weird. Never had this before and haven't taken vega in about 4 weeks. Although I did take psyllium husk a couple of times and seems that triggers it too. ANybody else have a similar experience? Is it possible this is a cleansing side effect??
#37 Old 04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sire View Post

I was searching online for side effects of vega and discovered this thread. ON the recommendation of a couple of friends who rave about it I started taking vega about 6 weeks ago. After a couple of weeks I was really feeling pretty unwell. Cramping and diarhea. I stopped taking it but am still getting the stomach cramps and rumbling in the stomach. Some days I feel good but others I get the symptoms. Weird. Never had this before and haven't taken vega in about 4 weeks. Although I did take psyllium husk a couple of times and seems that triggers it too. ANybody else have a similar experience? Is it possible this is a cleansing side effect??

It sounds like there is something in there that you're allergic to, or that the product is dangerous and has caused long-term damage. I'd have a check-up, were I you, since your symptoms continue even long after you stopped taking it.

As for "cleansing", if by that you mean detox, that term has no clinical meaning outside drug and alcohol rehab. See here for more information, please: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/134385.php
#38 Old 04-18-2010, 10:01 PM

I have been using Vega for years and I LOVE it ! I eat really clean whole vegan food and work out a lot .Vega is a great addition to my "lifestyle".

I am a little skeptical of some of these naysayers
#39 Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM

Alright I joined this site just so I could reply to you guys. I just bought Vega today at the health food store, just as something new to try, since they were promoting how it is such a great product to those sufferers from allergies to dairy, gluten, etc...However, I too started feeling sick after having just half a scoop of it.

Reviewing the ingredients, you will notice that Stevia Leaf is one of the major additives. Stevia is used primarily as a natural sweetener, although this product isn't exactly delicious even with it added in. Unfortunately, for many people (including myself), Stevia is a MAJOR ALLERGENT to those also allergic to RAGWEED...and that means a ton of people. Stevia is derived from the same plant species, and usually is not tolerated well by those ragweed sufferers. Feel free to look it up. Other than this, there really is no other explanation (ingredient-wise) for so many people to be having issues with this drink. Other than the stevia, the drink is just a lot of vitamins, probiotic, mainly rice protein base, enzymes and omegas and root extracts. None of which would likely cause an allergy, unless you are a freak of nature (no pun intended). The only other realistic possibility would be if you are allergic to one of the fruit berries (blueberry, raspberry, cheery, blackberry, marion berry).

As for the cramping and bowel problems experienced, aside from a stevia allergy, it could also be because of the high fiber content. If you have the full serving size (2 scoops), there is 15 grams of fiber included...which is generally a lot for the body to digest in a one meal sitting.

As for those people associating their sickness feeling to being a part of a "cleansing out" detox, that is completely false. The detoxification process of the body is a long process that takes weeks to even even years for some people. It's not something you feel an effect of from one drink.

Open to opinions.
#40 Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

I had to throw the rest of my last jug of vanilla away maybe 6 month or so ago. I had some once before, that was chocolate. I had finished that awhile ago, and eventually bought more. Well towards the end of the last jug I experienced twice the stomach ache and vomiting, some sweats, and feeling weak. I threw the rest away. I had tried some chlorella before and got that same kind of sensation, My thought is that I developed some sensitivity to chlorella. I don't know. I get my protein from whole food sources mostly now (beans and grains etc.), and don't worry about how much protein I eat anymore.
#41 Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM

I've used the Vega gels and the energizer and recovery products with great success, but on my first try of the Vega One nutritional shake, I became extremely ill and vomited. The reaction was so violent that I assumed I'd caught a bug, but when I tried it again a few weeks later, the same thing happened. Both times I missed a day of work. (The first in a few years.) I am not a fussy eater and litterally had not vomited for more than a decade previous, so ...suffice to say I threw the can out and won't be buying more. Wonder what it is about it that does this? It was sealed when I got it, and well ahead of the expiration date.

#42 Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 PM

I really want to try this product and see!

Does this promote weightloss or anything metabolism-boosting blahblahblahs?

If so I won't purchase it because I am in the proccess for gaining weight!

I only tried the superfood chocolate and orange creamsicle packets at WFS....is this similar to vega or not even close?

I just got hired so a 20% discount on a container of vega would be fabulous!

#43 Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 PM

I was a fan last year of the "Vega One" product and put it in soy milk every morning for breakfast or supplement.  I have some digestive problems, allergies and food intolerances and this product was highly digestable and fit the bill exactly.

At Christmas 2012, I had run out of my latest container and bought more and then proceeded to have digestion issues.  I was blaming holiday eating until I had reached a stage where I had eliminated everything else but that, and guess what...it was the Vega One.  I don't know what they changed but there is something in it that makes my digestion crampy and miserable.  I love to know what it was so that I can know to avoid it in the future. 

Does anyone know what they changed in their formula?

#44 Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

just wanted to add my $.02.  i have been on a cleanse for a few weeks, and have been trying different vegan sugar free protein powders when i decided to give vega one a try.  i bought 2 sample packets and both times that i used them i got violently ill a couple hours afterwards and had to miss work for a couple days!  i normally have an iron stomach and never ever throw up (not even while sick).  so i was really concerned.  thank god for google or else i wouldn't have known for sure that it was the vega :)

#45 Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 PM

hello all

just wanted to post my bad experience so folks know that the people who have posted their bad experiences aren't "whiners"  like a previous post so eloquently and super intelligently insinuated (that WAS sarcasm)

first shake down at 10am this morning after back from the gym and 4 hours later diarrhea

that will be my last shake

any and i mean ANY "nutritious food product" that causes diarrhea is not healthy.  this is not cleansing.  it is a violent reaction and not a natural method for your body to rid itself of "unwanted" elements.  in THIS process you rid yourself of a wide variety of things both healthy and not healthy, run the risk of dehydration, etc

i have an event in 2 hours and now am in fear for how my evening will turn out

thanx a #$%^&* lot Vega and i'll be sure to share my experience with everyone that even whispers that product name

#46 Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongut View Post

hello all

just wanted to post my bad experience so folks know that the people who have posted their bad experiences aren't "whiners"  like a previous post so eloquently and super intelligently insinuated (that WAS sarcasm)

first shake down at 10am this morning after back from the gym and 4 hours later diarrhea

that will be my last shake

any and i mean ANY "nutritious food product" that causes diarrhea is not healthy.  this is not cleansing.  it is a violent reaction and not a natural method for your body to rid itself of "unwanted" elements.  in THIS process you rid yourself of a wide variety of things both healthy and not healthy, run the risk of dehydration, etc

i have an event in 2 hours and now am in fear for how my evening will turn out

thanx a #$%^&* lot Vega and i'll be sure to share my experience with everyone that even whispers that product name

you know what the worst part was?  it took me a while to figure out what it could be since i have no food allergies.  very disappointing since i had a high opinion of the company before i tried their products.

#47 Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had Vega brand sports gels and bars recommended to me, in another thread here on VB (I'm going to walk a half marathon at the end of June). I found Power Bar gels, and will try those later.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#48 Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM

I also got sick after drinking the powdered Vega smoothie. Two hours after I used it I became nauseous then vomitting and diaherea soon followed. I also had extreme chills. This happened two out of three times that I used the product. I'm wondering if there is an ingredient that is a known allergen. I'm a very healthy person without any digestive issues or allergies.

#49 Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick View Post

I also got sick after drinking the powdered Vega smoothie. Two hours after I used it I became nauseous then vomitting and diaherea soon followed. I also had extreme chills. This happened two out of three times that I used the product. I'm wondering if there is an ingredient that is a known allergen. I'm a very healthy person without any digestive issues or allergies.

it's most likely savi seed. that's the conclusion i came to.
#50 Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 PM

I bought Vega one because my 18 month old son has a special diet due to multiple intolerances. I did a ton of research and this was the only product approved for children, that met his dietary restrictions. I hate the commercial garbage sugar shakes that claim to be children's supplement drinks. So I bought this. I tried it myself for 3 days. Started with 1/4 scoop first day 1/2 scoop second day and full scoop third day. I had no reaction. I put a 1/4 scoop in a smoothie (with 2 full cups of milk) split between me and my son. He drank about 3 ounces of it. He had instant diarrhea and it continued for 2 days. He cried for 2 hours the first night and developed diaper rash which he hasn't had since he was a newborn. I feel horrible. I googled every ingredient on the list beforehand. It looked safe. And their website states that you can take in the ingredient list to your pediatrician if you want to be sure. I felt confident it was good for him. Now I can't believe this happened.
#51 Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

have you tried garden of life products or sunwarrior?  i can't imagine that there would be anything adverse in there (unless your son is allergic to rice).

#52 Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 PM

Though this is an old thread, I thought I would share my horrible experiences with Vega.
First of all I used to use the tropical fruit smoothie and I really liked it. So I decided to try the vanilla one shake. I took half the regular serving. Two hours later I was vomitting non stop, for about an hour. Then diarrhea set in for about an hour . I had also had cold sweats. I googled the product and discovered it had been recalled for a dangerous bacteria in it .
Yesterday I decided to give it another try. This time I got a chocolate coconut protein bar. I ate half the bar. Two hours later I had severe vomitting. It was every 5-10 minutes for two hours. When the vomitting subsided the diarrhea started and lasted about an hour and a half.
I was very afraid and called our local health line. I have detoxed before and never had such extreme awful symptoms. This is clearly not from "detoxing". I have also used protein bars and shakes before and never had such crazy reactions.
I do think its very interesting that I googled this protein bar and it as well had been recalled, VOLUNTARILY, supposedly for undeclared milk ingredients just less tjan a week ago! Yet I had the same severe symptoms that I had had with the shake that was tainted with bacteria.

I will definitely not be buying any more Vega products. I trusted that the product they put on the store shelf was safe, and twice it was clearly NOT a safe product. Even supposedly healthy vegan products need quality control and safety standards.
#53 Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 AM

Hi ,

Were you successful in at least bringing about a lawsuit against vegaone?

I had very similar experience to yours...I too was hospitalized after drinking their shakes. It took me a while t figure out that it was the vegaone one shake that was causing all of my problems, because I never assumed that something that is marketed as being extremely healthy could in fact be the opposite. 

The staff at vegaone have been extremely inconsiderate to me regarding my health problems brought about by ingesting their shakes. 

I too would like to bring about a lawsuit against them, I am also looking into a class action lawsuit, as it seems there have been at least 100's of serious adverse reactions to their products. 

Thank you

#54 Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM

Wow, this was awful to read! I have been using a variety of Vega products for years (and through 3 pregnancies with docs OK) without any type of issue. Whole food optimizer, Vega one, Vega sport protein and pre workout drink (love that) and gels.....

very scary stuff I just read :/

#55 Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM

I am completely convinced that Vega one gave me auto immune disorders. I believe I have some sort of Addison's disease which developed over a two year period while I took Vega one everyday and trained in martial arts. I slowly lost my sex drive, depression, weight loss,  fatigue, dizziness. I have no appetite ect. And then developed a gluten intolerance. I am going shortly for blood work for this as I've just put the Peices of the puzzle together. I am telling you people this product is cursed don't take it!

#56 Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what is in this product that would be doing this. I never had any problems till i started taking this product and now my life is like a train thats derailed like a drug addict. To think im only 20 and i'll have to take synthetic hormones to live close to the quality of life i used to have before i was introduced to this god forsake ****.... What a night mare, i would sue these people to the stone age....

#57 Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

What ingredient is in Vega that is different than what one finds in any other supplement or health product?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#58 Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM

The experience I am recounting happened a year ago, but I recently heard from a friend who attended one of Brendan Brazier's workshops that he claims never to have heard of an adverse reaction to his Optimizer/Vega One products. I notified the retailer and Sequel when my issue occurred and sent the tub away for testing, so I'm not sure how that is possible.

I am a very healthy individual with no allergies, great nutrition and an active lifestyle. I had used Vega Optimizer for over a year with no problems. When Vega One was introduced I experienced mild nausea for an hour or so the first time I used it. I didn't immediately associate the nausea with the product however. Several days later, dose number two and I actually threw up...again, not seeing the connection.

Third try, I took it then immediately drove my daughter to work. 20 minutes later, I threw up at her workplace, again in the parking lot, had to stop halfway home, again in my driveway, etc. (Cluing in now that it might be the Vega)

I decided, because I'm curious and a little stupid, to give it one last test to see if the correlation REALLY was there. I had half a dose. I threw up every 3 to 5 minutes for over two hours. I had cold sweats and lay delirious on my sofa, barely able to get to my front door to throw up again (didn't have the presence of mind or ability to search out a bucket). I could not have driven myself to the hospital, much less make a call to 911. I was weak and out of sorts the following day, but back to normal by the third day.

A Vega representative contacted me when they received my Vega One for testing, and again a few weeks later to report that no contaminants were discovered in the samples that were tested. Good on them for that at least.

Because of Brendan's comment I have written again to the company asking them to note my case and its severity to Brendan himself. Not surprisingly, I've heard nothing back.

I want nothing from Sequel, other than a personal acknowledgement and possibly a consumer warning that this revamped product can have serious side effects. I am not a novice, I have done my homework, and I don't need any super-granolas picking apart what I have recounted here or making excuses for the product. There are enough stories out there that read exactly like mine to warrant a thorough investigation of these things...preferably before someone is seriously harmed!
#59 Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

What ingredient is in Vega that is different than what one finds in any other supplement or health product?

And I find it a bit questionable when people sign up and their first and only post is to say something terrible about Vega, as some people have done.  I don't know if it's a competitor, or someone who dislikes the founder, or a real experience.  I don't know what to make of it, but I would trust it more from a respected member.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#60 Old 08-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I was scrolling through this thread and I noticed the same thing, that the majority of people complaining about Vega have only one or a few posts and then you never hear from them again.  I guess I would question their motives also.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in