Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Any recommendations? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned

Dysons kick all other vaccuum cleaners butts.
#3 Old 09-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ I've heard that too. A friend of mine has an Oreck that she loves. I have a basic Hoover. It was cheap and it does a good job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm on the Dyson love train also. After years of buying less expensive vacuums, I finally caved and bought one of their animal models and what a difference in the amount of dog and cat hair this thing picks up without getting clogged. If you check the Dyson website they run specials sometimes where they throw in a few free attachments. We lucked out got some anti-allergen attachments for deep mattress and upholstery cleaning.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#5 Old 09-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

My vacuum cleaner sucks (haha)

but really, my parents bought me a Hoover windtunnel cyclone. It's not that great. Stay clear.
#6 Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I love my Dyson Animal!
#7 Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

dyson = bliss.
#8 Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 PM

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I purchased a Dyson this year and love it!
#9 Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

I want a Dyson so bad, but it's too pricey. I may get one when I move out. My parents bought a $1,500 vacuum from my brother in law (now ex)... it's nice, but not worth that much.
#10 Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I want a Dyson so bad, but it's too pricey. I may get one when I move out. My parents bought a $1,500 vacuum from my brother in law (now ex)... it's nice, but not worth that much.

It was definitely a lot pricier than any vacuum we had purchased before but we figured it would pay for itself eventually since we were buying cheap ones about every year or so. The more conventional models just can't seem to withstand the tonnage of pet hair our beasties cast off on a daily basis.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#11 Old 09-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchabbey View Post

It was definitely a lot pricier than any vacuum we had purchased before but we figured it would pay for itself eventually since we were buying cheap ones about every year or so. The more conventional models just can't seem to withstand the tonnage of pet hair our beasties cast off on a daily basis.

I'm going to put a Dyson on my gift registry when I get married *prays she gets it*
#12 Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 AM

I hate my dyson. Absolutely hate it.

It doesn't work any better than my old vacuum which was much cheaper. It is a pain to maneuver. It doesn't go over any bumps such as a rug or door threshold. The attachments are a pain to use. I could go on and on but the bottom line is I would never recommend it.

Sorry everyone!
#13 Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine's a Eureka Whirlwind. I got it for $20 at a house-and-contents auction three years ago. Two top-end vacuums sold right before this one, and I didn't get involved in the bidding for either of those since they both sold for over $100. Then I was just the second bidder on the Eureka. It's worked great for me. I especially like that it doesn't have a bag, just a compartment I pull out when it fills up with dirt, and dump it.

It's good to research and find out what you want, but unless there are literally no auctions or places to get second-hand vacuums in your area, I'd advise against buying new.

I should add that I do not have pets, so I don't know how well my vacuum would do if I had furry critters. I have long hair, so certainly that's something, but it's not the same as having pets or small children. My vacuum does a great job in my situation, which is a single person living in a small apartment.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Dyson Animal ! I have way too many pets and ya'd never know it from looking at my carpet...which is a very pale off white color..

If anything ever happens to it, I'll replace it with another Dyson immediately.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#15 Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana in IN View Post

It doesn't work any better than my old vacuum which was much cheaper. It is a pain to maneuver. It doesn't go over any bumps such as a rug or door threshold. The attachments are a pain to use. I could go on and on but the bottom line is I would never recommend it.

Sorry everyone!

Thanks for being honest
#16 Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 PM

#17 Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana in IN View Post

Sorry everyone!

I was all set to order a dyson. Now, I don't know what to do. I am glad you were honest, though.

I have a pretty big house and a couple of dogs. So, I really need a good one.
#18 Old 09-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I was all set to order a dyson. Now, I don't know what to do. I am glad you were honest, though.

I have a pretty big house and a couple of dogs. So, I really need a good one.

I have a big house, 5 dogs, 1 cat and a very very messy hubby. I have never ever had a problem with the Dyson...even when my niece picked up wet cat food with it..

Mine maneuvers very easily, the attachments are all easy to use (they weren't on my old vaccume) and it goes over the throw rugs, area rugs and thresholds with ease...and it goes from carpet to slate to tile flooring to laminate with no problems and works well on all of the surfaces.

I don't have the extra time to fool around with an appliance or tool that doesn't work well. I have even used mine on concrete in the Arizona room to pick up glass shards (I do stained glass) ..

I do know however, that it is possible to get a "lemon" with anything that is man made.

If something happened to my Dyson, I'd go right out and buy another one.

#19 Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

You might want to look on craigslist for your area to see if they have any Dysons for sale, delicious. And in your local newspapers. Sometimes classified ads are searchable a few weeks back.

(Yes, I'm a big advocate of keeping stuff out of landfills and not creating the demand for more new stuff.)

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#20 Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

You might want to look on craigslist for your area to see if they have any Dysons for sale, delicious. And in your local newspapers. Sometimes classified ads are searchable a few weeks back.

(Yes, I'm a big advocate of keeping stuff out of landfills and not creating the demand for more new stuff.)

I agree, keep it out of the landfills! Look at freecycle.org

everything is free and you can post a wanted or an offer....I have offered email machines, a refridgerator. a bike and lots of household items on freecycle.

#21 Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

I agree, keep it out of the landfills! Look at freecycle.org

everything is free and you can post a wanted or an offer....I have offered email machines, a refridgerator. a bike and lots of household items on freecycle.

I don't usually ask for stuff like top-line vacuum cleaners on Freecycle. I see so many people begging for stuff that's hardly essential to living--if you're going to ask someone to give you a vacuum cleaner for free, you need to be grateful for what you get.

#22 Old 09-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I, too, have a Eureka Whirlwind and it has worked like a charm for over 3 years now and we have three big doggies. I love that it is bagless, too. I'm not the biggest fan of the hose attachment, though. It doesn't suck very well.
#23 Old 09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

I, too, have a Eureka Whirlwind and it has worked like a charm for over 3 years now and we have three big doggies. I love that it is bagless, too. I'm not the biggest fan of the hose attachment, though. It doesn't suck very well.

True, the attachment isn't the best. I only use it once a month or so to pick up stuff in corners and along baseboards. I'm not a big fan of hose attachments in general (never really liked using my dad's Shop Vac when I lived with my parents).

#24 Old 09-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Our corners and baseboards are always gross.

Occasionally I'll go around the perimiter, picking up the junk by hand.

I hate to vacuum. I'd rather clean the toilets!
#25 Old 09-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Our corners and baseboards are always gross.

Occasionally I'll go around the perimiter, picking up the junk by hand.

I hate to vacuum. I'd rather clean the toilets!

Will you clean mine? I think vacuuming is fine and dandy, but toilets are my horror.

#26 Old 09-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

We'd make good roomates, I guess!
#27 Old 09-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We'd make good roomates, I guess!

Yup! When I lived with my parents and sisters, I'd make deals with my sisters that I would clean the entire rest of the house, if they would just clean the bathrooms. (Kitchen cleaning was always shared, so I wasn't offering to do that myself.) Now, even though my boyfriend doesn't live with me, he does clean my toilet now and then. I cook meals for him, so I think it's more than fair.

#28 Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

I don't usually ask for stuff like top-line vacuum cleaners on Freecycle. I see so many people begging for stuff that's hardly essential to living--if you're going to ask someone to give you a vacuum cleaner for free, you need to be grateful for what you get.

True, if I was in need of a vacuume for free, I'd just ask for a vacuume, but I do get surprised sometimes with what is offered...or asked for..we had a guy ask for a motorhome...

Needless to say he did not get one..

#29 Old 09-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

my parents got our dyson from the local tip/recycling centre for a fiver. some genius threw it away cos when he turned it on one day nothing happened, and he decided it was broken and chucked it.

my dad took one look at it and saw that the cable right next to the plug was kinked really badly, so he risked the fiver, took it home, unscrewed the plug, cut off an inch of the cable, split it, saw that the wires were brokena bit, stripped and rewired the plug, switched it on, it was fine. he'd just mangled the cable by putting it away wrong repeatedly, or dropping something heavy on it when it was taut, using it as a skipping rope, letting his dog eat it, or something like that, most likely.

people chuck stuff like that away in england- when the fuse blows, all kinds of silly reasons. anyway, my dad knows what he's doing with that kinda stuff, so all was fine (electrics aren't to be messed with if you don't- i don't).

we've since given that dyson to someone broke and in need of hoovering tools, and bought another one on special from the supermarket. they're sooo good. no bags to buy and replace, no loss of suction, sucks up everything, you can see all the grime right there in the cylinder, nice nozzles, etc etc etc. i've tried one of the newer ones with the big roller ball in them, they're really nice for turning corners and angles at high speed with better manuvreability, and easier to dance to your personal stereo while you're hoovering with too!
#30 Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i've tried one of the newer ones with the big roller ball in them, they're really nice for turning corners and angles at high speed with better manuvreability, and easier to dance to your personal stereo while you're hoovering with too!

I dance when I vacuume, too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page