cruelty-free sunblock - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 PM

howdo...I'm about to take a trip ... a really, really cool trip to the south Pacific...and I'll be spending lots of time outdoors and in/near the water (salt mostly).

What's your favourite non-animal-tested, no-animal-ingredient sunblock that's high enough SPF to protect from a strong sun and won't wash away?

I'm a guy if that matters ... thanks all!

For the animals,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

My cupboard still contains ordinary sunscreen, because I hadn't given it much thought til I read this post

But then I found this Natio sunscreen from the Cruelty Free Shop in Sydney.
#3 Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Beginner

I want to try this

http://www.soorganic.com/product.php...1#extra_images

My current sunscreen is running out. If you do get it tell us how it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

None is probably cruelty free if you consider the continual testing of nanomaterials on animals (eg, ZnO which is commonly the active ingredient is a range of sunscreens, and is tested on a range of animals including guinea pigs).

However I'm still looking into this.
#5 Old 08-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I can say badger brand does not work well at all. I'm still peeling from their SPF 30, and believe me I reapplied something like 4 times over a 4 hour period. Burts bees goes on so sticky, but they're the most natural and don't test on animals, and it worked well. They use a different mineral as their active ingredient as well.
#6 Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if you're in the US or not, but many health food stores or Whole Foods Markets here carry cruelty-free sunscreens. I haven't purchased them myself but I have seen them. I believe Jason's and ALBA Botanicals were two brands that I saw. I bet Kiss my Face has some too.
#7 Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 AM

thanks all. there are plenty out there including, as have been suggested, Kiss My Face, Jason's, Peter Thomas Roth, Kinesys, Nature's Gate, California Baby, spao apothekaria, Cari Amici, Aubrey Organics, Avalon Organics, Earth Essentials, Alba Botanica, and more...there are many who at least claim to be 100% cruelty-free. I'm trying to find one that's good. I've used products by Aubrey Organics and enjoy them and Kiss My Face (ok), and Jason's (pretty good), but sunblock is such a funny thing. I'm relatively fair-skinned and will be roasted within minutes without the guidance of experts. So, I'm humbled in the presence of the geniuses of cruelty-free products (that's y'all) hoping for your wisdom. Thanks!!
#8 Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

i know its not what you asked, but wearing long sleeves and a hat probably wouldn't hurt much, and might help a fair bit too.
#9 Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM

I welcome any suggestions, even if not exactly what I asked. Problem is, one of the areas I noted that I will be is in the water. While sharks and the sun won't mind the state of my attire, I won't enjoy the water nearly as much with long sleeves and a hat on.

#10 Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

This website is usually spot on with their reviews:

http://www.thegreenguide.com/product...re/Sunscreen/3

I can agree that badger was pretty bad. before you buy anything make sure to check that it's vegan as well, this is a green website, though usually lists veg friendly products.
#11 Old 08-04-2008, 02:39 PM

im currently using the trader joe's brand sun screen lotion. It's SPF 30 and very effective but then i haven't been using it much since i want to absorb the sun's ray and produce vitamin D hahaha
#12 Old 08-08-2008, 06:30 PM

I put California Baby on my kids. It works really well, much better than the regular stuff. And we are very, very, fair.
#13 Old 08-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Wow, I hadn't really given this much thought at all!

Sure glad you posted this- now I know what I need, too!
#14 Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 AM

I use Alba Botanicals, 20 Spf for face and 30 for everywhere else. I'm pretty fair and these work really well.
#15 Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been wanting to try the Alba Botanicals for my face because I love the moisturizer I use by them. SPF 30 wouldn't be enough for the beach for me, but it would be good for daily use.
#16 Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM

thank you all for taking the time....much appreciated.

The Devil Went Down to Georgia and all he came back with was this lousy sun tan.
#17 Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

I can say badger brand does not work well at all. I'm still peeling from their SPF 30, and believe me I reapplied something like 4 times over a 4 hour period. Burts bees goes on so sticky, but they're the most natural and don't test on animals, and it worked well. They use a different mineral as their active ingredient as well.

Really?? Darn! I bought that stuff for going to Mexico with! Good thing you said something. And that sucks because most of their stuff (lip balms & salves) work AMAZINGLY well.

But I mostly don't wear sunscreen. I've been trying to stock up on vitamin D. And get a tan. Don't want to be one of those "sickly, pasty vegetarians," you know! ^_^
#18 Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

Really?? Darn! I bought that stuff for going to Mexico with! Good thing you said something. And that sucks because most of their stuff (lip balms & salves) work AMAZINGLY well.

But I mostly don't wear sunscreen. I've been trying to stock up on vitamin D. And get a tan. Don't want to be one of those "sickly, pasty vegetarians," you know! ^_^

I'm lightly skinned, but not very fair, so I do burn, but not if I use sunscreen properly. I tried and tried to apply it and it went on ok, but it simply did not work well. I burnt everywhere, where I applied and the few little places like the backside of my arm I missed were burnt slightly worse. Even my face, and I reapplied there more than the rest of my body. Had we not left i was going to borrow my friend's hawaiian tropic just so my skin didn't fall off.

I was the only one in the group using badger and the only one with the problem. My friend is much lighter than me, and used a banana boat or something. She had no problem at all.

So I'm definitely not using it again heh, sucks because it was pricey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page