Question about buying name brand stuff.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2003, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

When you buy big-name clothes from a company like TJ Maxx or Ross, do the designers get paid for the merchandise? From what I understand designers dump out of season stuff to these stores to break even on excess merchandise they would otherwise take a loss on.

Is this an OK way to use brands that are great quality stuff but crappy ethically? Banana Republic and Gap, for instance, I know they SUCK as a company, but I've found the quality and durability of their merchandise to be excellent.

I'm curious about moving my ethics more into my purchases, but I can't bear inferior-quality stuff (and many expensive brands are crap quality, too.)

Any thoughts on what brands of clothing / shoes I should try to avoid and which are somewhat ethically sound?

I can't buy online very often, cause it often doesn't fit or look the way I want it to once the package arrives.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I think designers get payed for what they do in one sum, not based on the acctual numbers that are sold.

I think they dump out of season stuff because it's out of season.

The margines are so high they can live with the "loss"

If you pay $ 100, the store has bought it for max $40.
#3 Old 10-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want to be more ethical with your purchases, it will require some research, but the best place to start is where they do their manufacturing.

I'm trying to by more USA-made products, not just because of concerns over abuse of 3rd-world workers, but to help keep jobs here in my country (as more and more disappear overseas) and to reduce the amount of shipping necessary in order to move products around. If a particular item is only available imported (or there's a clear difference that can't be avoided), then I'll make that concession. (same is true of food for me - bought U.S. instead of New Zealand apples last night) Also, manufacturing in 3rd World countries nearly always escapes the EPA regulations we have here. Granted, the U.S. has issues, but it's far better than the waste you see being dumped elsewhere.

Next, consider the way the company treats their employees - pay, benefits, etc.

Finally, consider pricing and durability.

I don't always follow this pattern, but I'm sure that sticking close to it most of the time is the way to go. The more of us that do that, the more we improve our local economies (this applies to all nations), and the more we help our environment. Yeah, we're taking jobs away from 3rd World countries, but maybe it's time they started exporting their own products instead of being big labor repositories for thrifty corporations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2003, 09:13 PM

Stupid question, but.... what if you buy stuff from the thrift store? I only buy used clothing - never silk or wool or leather - but I honestly don't pay attention to the tags.

Do you think this is perpetuating (even though this is a degreee of separation) slave labor, sweatshops, etc?

This question has bothered me. I don't buy new clothes because it feels like a form of recycling to me. What do you guys think? Janet
#5 Old 10-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I sometimes enjoy shopping at Thrift stores, too.

I don't think that when you shop there that you are contributing to anyone but the organization that runs the shop.

For example, I both donate and shop at Goodwill.

I give stuff to them, but also purchase items that other people have donated. This allows Goodwill to use my money from the sale of the clothes they received as a donation to assist homeless, sick and families living in poverty, etc.

The evil, slavedriving companies don't get any of the money, really - except for the original price of the garment, which we don't have any control over anyway since it was purchased by someone else.

The only reason I don't shop there all the time is because of the time it takes to find the good stuff amid the stained and worn out things. I wish the Goodwill near me were a little more particular about the items they sell - some of the stuff is torn up or stained beyond repair. This stuff should be given away - not sold. I have been into some really cool Goodwills, however, who sell only clothes in good shape. It was a joy to shop there.
#6 Old 10-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Banned

I love donating to Goodwill! So what if I spent a decent amount of money on a dress? It doesn't fit anymore, and perhaps someone will consider it a great find and get it for cheap! That's better than sitting in my closet.

I don't know much about the ethicality (I made that one up ) of clothing companies. I think some of the items at TJ Maxx and other similar stores are considered "damaged" or otherwise not suitable for the "designer" stores, such as the size might be off or one pant leg could be shorter than the other. That's just been my observation. It might not be the same for every company and/or store. I don't go to stores like TJ Maxx because it's so hard to find things. The ones I've been to were very disorganized.
#7 Old 10-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The TJ Maxx near my house is great.

Very well organized and most of the stuff is first quality - I have never bought anything there that was damaged or messed up.

I love that store!

I'm just exploring making sure I'm spending in the right places - or rather not spending in the wrong ones.

The worst part about being vegan is all the checking that is involved.

I'm lazy about my research. I tend to assume something is OK till I hear differently about it.

G'Night!
#8 Old 10-24-2003, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Support the previously-worn clothing industry as much as possible, I say. Our culture needs to learn to create less waste, and that means reducing demand for new items. I know that's heresy in the U.S., but there is a limited capacity for waste on this planet, and I'm a citizen of the earth, too.
#9 Old 10-24-2003, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I rarely buy new clothing. I bought a few new shirts in Thailand but that was the first time in a couple years probably (I paid street vendors what they were actually worth, so I felt good.)

I buy from thrift stores except for my whites which I buy brand new and make sure they're made in America. There's an amazing thrift store a 30 minute bike ride from my house and I go there once a month or two.
#10 Old 10-25-2003, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I get most of my stuff from thrift stores - I like looking funky rather than fashionable and I'm very tight fisted.
#11 Old 10-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to buy all my clothes second hand. But then I moved from where all the good stores were. I guess I will have to find some new ones. I let myself splurge a little on clothes recently and that needs to stop.

There's also ebay and resale shops. And don't forget making your own.
#12 Old 10-26-2003, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

There's also ebay and resale shops. And don't forget making your own.

I wish I had time/new how to make my own! Someday, I'm sure I'll make something. Right now I can only hem my pants and sew on buttons and zippers.

Oh man. I got the greatest find on ebay right now. Every few weeks I search for cool Vermont things and I found 5 MEDIUM VERMONT TSHIRTS!!!

I love these shirts.

I'm so excited because all my current Vermont tshirts are starting to bite the dust! I've had them since high school 5 years ago!

I'll add that I haven't won the bid yet... but I'm not gonna lose it.
#13 Old 10-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Move to Tucson, AZ! This is the best place I've ever been for thrift shops. In addition to lots of good thrift stores, there's a wonderful chain here called Twice as Nice where you can trade your old clothes for credit to buy used items. I love these stores, and there are several of them around town. They organize their stuff very well (by color, which I love) and most of the stuff is in good condition. There's also a used clothing chain here called Buffalo Exchange which does the same credit thing, but they're very overpriced and usually my clothes aren't "cool" enough for them to want. If you don't have numerous piercings and tattoos they tend to treat you like an inferior being. Anyway, it would be nice if every town had such an abundance of used clothing options.
#14 Old 10-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy a lot of my clothing at consignment stores. I have to dress professionally for work and b/c I'm not a normal size (size 1 or 2 extra long for pants), often can't find clothing that fits and looks ok that isn't designer. Ann Taylor makes clothes that fit me perfectly, but I don't want to support Ann Taylor b/c of sweatshop practices. I have no problem buying a pair of used Ann Taylor pants at a consignment or thrift store, however, since I consider it recycling and Ann Taylor isn't actually getting any of my money.
#15 Old 10-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Beginner

There are a lot of consignment stores that are owned by individuals.

Another option is to use thrift stores... Goodwill, Volunteers of America, etc. It takes a lot of looking, but you can find good stuff.

I usually do thrift stores for my shirts and stuff, but I prefer new jeans (although I don't buy many of them... they last longer if they're made from a good company, better quality means less waste).

For instance, I will buy Old Navy jeans because, for $20-$30, I can find a pair of jeans that will last a long, long time. I don't usually do Nordstrom's or The Bon-Macy's because, well, I'm cheap. And I don't like most of their styles. And they probably use not-so-ethical practices.
#16 Old 10-28-2003, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE THRIFT STORES!!! I´m kinda bummed that so far I´ve only found two thrift stores in Barcelona, but one of them is totally awesome. Right now I´m wearing a shirt and a skirt that I bought from them.

My undies I do buy new. As much as I love to recycle clothes, I can´t stand the idea of wearing someone else´s underwear. How do I know if they had a disease that might possibly be passed along?

I donate the clothes I don´t want anymore to Goodwill. In fact, I´ll go through my closet every few months, pull out a few more things I haven´t worn in forever, and while I´m at Goodwill to donate those clothes, I can´t resist going in to buy more. I know, I´m bad. I think the clerks at the Goodwill closest to my college know me by name now.... gaaaa.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#17 Old 10-28-2003, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

In Ohio, there´s also Amvets, which runs the Village Discount Outlet. I know of one in Massillon, one in Youngstown, and one in Cuyahoga Falls.

There´s a Twice as Nice in Hartville, Ohio, and Hartville has the Hartville Gift & Thrift, owned by a Mennonite organization that helps out third world companies. Hartville also has the Hartville Flea Market that until recently was a true flea market. Now it is called the Hartville Marketplace and is more upscale with prices to match.

Uniontown, Ohio, has a lovely little consignment shop called.... oh shoot, I forget. It´s on Cleveland Avenue just south of the intersection of Cleveland Ave. and Rt 619.

Akron, Ohio, has a bunch of Goodwills.

Canton, Ohio, has a bunch of Goodwills. These tend not to be as well organized as the Goodwills in Akron. Until recently, Canton also had Diamonds in the Dust, Petticoat Junction, and Love Me Two Times. As far as I know, all three of those have closed with no intentions of reopening. MAJOR bummer. Canton still has Encore--a great place to shop for second-hand formals.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page