Question about product animal testing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Hi I've introduced myself before but I'm new to vegetarianism and I have another question.

I know that pretty much all chemicals, minerals, etc. have been tested on animals in the past by some organization or other. The current laws of the US state that you can't call anything non-toxic unless it's been tested on animals and proven safe. Are none of the vegan cosmetics/household products non-toxic? Or is it just that they havent tested the finished product on animals and use chemicals/minerals/etc that have not been tested directly by them but others have tested in the past?

Thanks for any insight anyone may have on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've often wondered this myself. I have this perception that the only reason that "animal-friendly" companies are able to manufacture "cruelty-free" products is that they're using ingredients that are now approved for use after a registration process that required "animal-hating" companies to cruelly test them on animals. Therefore, it has always seemed to me to be hypocritical (like people drinking standard commercial milk and claiming that they're not responsible for animal death and cruelty). That they have been happy to let other companies get the blood on their hands and profit from the results while playing the "holier-than-thou" card.

But if I'm wrong, I'd like to know! I admit I haven't looked into it.
#3 Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Even if you were right about the ingredients having been tested previously by other companies, I don't see how as a vegan you can avoid using some of these things, unless of course, you are going to limit yourself to using only white vinegar and baking soda for everything with regards to cleaning in your home, or olive oil to polish your furniture. I try to do this as much as I can myself, but there are things like shampoo: what do you do about this if you are going to stay away from any "manufactured product"? I tried the vinegar rinse in the hair once instead of using shampoo just as an experiment and didn't like the effect it had on my hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-22-2008, 01:45 AM

The issue here is that so many large cosmetic and chemical companies still actively test chemicals and products like razors on animals like rabbit and cats, while this is proven unnecessary by the fact that there are many companies that pledge themselves 100% cruelty-free. See the Caring Consumer guide for responsible shopping tips, found at http://www.caringconsumer.com/.

Vegans don't avoid all "manufactured products". They choose cruelty-free products instead of those that are tested on animals and contain animal tissue-derived ingredients. Many of us also like to support environmentally friendly and socially responsible companies who offer products with all natural ingredients. Check out the consumer guide! There are dozens and dozens of cruelty-free shampoos and household cleaners, along with everything else you could possibly need make you and your home compassionately beautiful.
#5 Old 11-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with D-mom. It's unavoidable sometimes.

There are natural shampoos out there, but the effect can range from good to bad on your hair/ hair type. Plus, they're probably expensive.

I've never thought about this til now but some people put mayonaise in their hair as a conditioner... could veganaise do the same? I'd imagine they'd both be really greasy and nasty once they were rinsed out...

Anyways. At least the anti-animal testing companies don't harbor on-going animal tests. Other companies do. So at least that's a start right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page