Sigg Water Bottles - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

I have been thinking about getting a pretty painted one. Does the paint ever chip off?

Mine hasn't chipped, even where I dented the bottle pretty severely. But it can be scratched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

Some people are concerned that they are made of aluminum, and there is speculation that aluminum contributes to/causes Alzheimer's disease. However, the lining in Sigg bottles keeps your water from ever touching the aluminum.

what is the lining made out of? i've been wanting a couple of these, but generally tend to avoid aluminum.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#33 Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a link to info about the inside bottle coating. I think I am going to buy a plain jane bottle to avoid any paint chips.

http://www.sigg.com/index.php?id=47&L=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-16-2008, 02:58 AM

I was trying to find out more about the lining too. If I'm trying to avoid BPA, etc. then I want to know I'm not using something just as nasty.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#35 Old 10-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the link. it sounds safe, but doesn't seem to say exactly what it's made out of.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#36 Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I put some water in my sigg to freeze with no lid on top. I awoke this morning to pack up my bottle and one of them had split down the side. I'm taking off out of town so I don't have time to exchange. I'll be looking into this when I get back.
#37 Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

I put some water in my sigg to freeze with no lid on top. I awoke this morning to pack up my bottle and one of them had split down the side. I'm taking off out of town so I don't have time to exchange. I'll be looking into this when I get back.

I think it says somewhere on the Sigg website that the bottles should not be frozen.

*this space not for sale*
#38 Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I do not think it is a good idea to freeze water inside of any container. Water will expand when frozen, not caring what the material surrounding it is made of.

I see that Sigg offers steel bottles. I have not looked at them in detail, but I think those of you who are conscientious about your impact on the environment, steel is the way to go. I have a Klean Kanteen 40 oz. steel bottle. You can also find those on the Reusable Bags website. Unfortunately the lids are made of plastic (BPA free), but they do offer ones with steel bottoms so no plastic whatsoever touches the liquid. The mouth is very wide and can easily fit ice cubes so you do not have to freeze the water!
#39 Old 10-16-2008, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the link..those steel ones look pretty nifty.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#40 Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

You are welcome! I don't want to take attention away from Sigg, as I see that they offer steel options. I have never used a Sigg before so I cannot provide any useful information about their bottles in this thread, but I do have experience with Klean Kanteen and think it would be great alternative if you want steel. I have found that the plastic lids are not completely air tight and some leaking does occur if it is on its side. I just received a steal-bottomed lid for mine and it appears to be even tighter, which makes sense. As far as I know, only the completely plastic lids come with stainless steal bottles, so you will have to pay ~$5 for a steel-bottomed lid as an alternative if you do not want any plastic to touch your liquids.
#41 Old 10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I was trying to find out more about the lining too. If I'm trying to avoid BPA, etc. then I want to know I'm not using something just as nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

thanks for the link. it sounds safe, but doesn't seem to say exactly what it's made out of.

It says right in the FAQ section of MySigg.com that they do not make the ingredients of the lining available to 3rd parties, this allows Sigg to maintain a competetive advantage in the market. It's like the ingredients in Coke.

http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?Page...r%20made%20of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I think it says somewhere on the Sigg website that the bottles should not be frozen.

They do not ever recommend freezing a Sigg bottle, as it will crack. It says so right in the FAQ.

http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?Page...the%20freezer?

You can, however, buy ice cube trays that make long skinny ice cubes that fit inside the Sigg bottle top opening. I know IKEA makes some, and I'm pretty sure Sigg does as well, although I can't seem to find them just now.
#42 Old 10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Those Klean Kanteens are cute, too! I've never seen those before. And they have PINK - sooooo pretty! I want.

#43 Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I have both an original Klean Kanteen from a few years ago and Sigg bottle, so I might be able to add something to this...

Klean Kanteens with the metal lids are great. They are extremely durable. I took mine on a backcountry canoe trip and beat the hell out of it with no issues, and I was able to pour boiling water into it easily (wide mouth).

The Sigg bottles are bit lighter then the Klean Kanteens. The inside is definitely metal, but not stainless. It looks like a metal alloy of some kind (ie not a pure metal of any kind). I do recall looking up on the sigg website somewhere that it is guaranteed not to leech anything, so I consider it to be just as safe.

I use them both because they are different sizes, but my sigg bottle has a dragon on it and I bought it in Switzerland, so I might love it just a tiny bit more.
#44 Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 AM

Jeff, I looked at some Siggs at a shop last weekend, and they were definitely not metal inside..there was some sort of film, the "lining". That's good though, because I wouldn't want to reuse something aluminum over and over again. They did seem really light, but I'm not sure that this is important to me, since it's mostly for everyday use that I want one.

Do either of them (particularly the Klean Kanteen) taste "metallic"?

I could just buy one, I suppose, but they're pretty pricey here (about 10 quid each!)

#45 Old 10-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I only drink water out of mine, so a metallic taste seemed to be prevalent only in the first day or so. This is probably because it SMELLS metallic and I was not used to drinking out of steel every day. Now that I am used to drinking out of the bottle, there is no metal taste. If I were to let water sit in the Klean Kanteen bottle for a day, then pour the water into a glass and drink it, I am sure there would be no added taste whatsoever.
#46 Old 10-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Jeff, I looked at some Siggs at a shop last weekend, and they were definitely not metal inside..there was some sort of film, the "lining". That's good though, because I wouldn't want to reuse something aluminum over and over again. They did seem really light, but I'm not sure that this is important to me, since it's mostly for everyday use that I want one.

I could just buy one, I suppose, but they're pretty pricey here (about 10 quid each!)

That's interesting, because my Sigg is definitely metal - it's a brass color inside, starting right at the top with the threads for the cap. Maybe there are different models of them out there? Or maybe you need to go the Switzerland to get the metal ones.

As for taste, there is no metallic taste that I ever noticed out of either one.
#47 Old 02-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I FINALLY FOUND IT! Drinking from my Hello Kitty Sigg makes me happy.

#48 Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

I FINALLY FOUND IT! Drinking from my Hello Kitty Sigg makes me happy.

awww, bless.
#49 Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a BPA-free Nalgene that I use usually, it's called Nalgene everyday or something like that. I'm really not very educated on this subject, but are there other yucky things in plastic in general that means I should avoid it? these sigg bottles look pretty cool, especially that hello kitty one But with my current monetary situation (or lack thereof) I'd like to avoid buying another water bottle if I'm good with my BPA-free nalgene

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
#50 Old 02-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I just dropped mine 2 days ago...now it has a hand grip
#51 Old 02-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a few Sigg bottles and love them. I like to use the smaller kids' versions to bring with me on short trips when I don't have a bag to throw my bottle in because the big ones can be a bit cumbersome.

One of my bottles had a nice little rubber holder attached to a carabiner (I bought it separately to put on my bigger bottles and make them more travel-friendly), but it felt out of the cabinet and the little rubber ring that held it onto the bottle broke! I can't imagine how flexible, stretchy rubber could break from falling on the floor, but it did.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#52 Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

so I just ordered one from amazon.com due to my ever growing need to drink water all the time and the fact that I am using all that plastic(recycling it though) and wasting all that money on water bottles a week. I got the purple rise above plastic in the 1 liter size. I wanted just a plain blue in the 1.5 liter but they were out of stock.
#53 Old 02-27-2009, 07:48 AM

I have one and I bought one for my son. We love 'em. But I cracked the lid on mine a few months ago
#54 Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

The lids are sold separately and replaceable.

Sigg Replacement Parts
#55 Old 02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

After starting hot yoga, I'm even more of a fan of my water bottle. It's essential to stay hydrated throughout the day as well as in and after class, so my bottle is now attached to my hip. Not literally, although that would be quite handy

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#56 Old 02-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:

The lids are sold separately and replaceable.

Sigg Replacement Parts

Oh man - yay!!!! That also means I can buy one now that actually matches the bottle itself lol
#57 Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yes. All cap styles fit all bottle types which is nice, too. Many Whole Foods stores stock the caps if you want to check em out in person.
#58 Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 AM

Hey everyone - are Sigg dishwasher safe? I'm asking because I've never put mine in there and then I woke up this morning and saw my husband had put it through a wash cycle. I didn't know if that would be an issue or not - anyone know?
#59 Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Detach the kids and sport seals (see drawing on the right), then wash out the bottle. The small cleaning brush from the SIGG bottles cleaning brush set is ideal for the job.

Rinse the bottle with hot water, leave open to dry and always store it opened. Although SIGG Bottles are dishwasher-safe, we recommend washing the bottles by hand to ensure a more thorough cleaning.

For ease of cleaning, do not allow drink leftovers to dry out in the bottle.

SIGG BOTTLE CLEAN helps with heavily soiled bottles. Always leave open to dry afterwards, and store the bottle opened.

Do any of their 'sports' bottle tops allow water to flow freely? I haven't picked up a different lid, cause I always remember rigid bottles being pretty hard to get the water out of without a little air hole. Anyone know?
#60 Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrilynhawk View Post

Hey everyone - are Sigg dishwasher safe? I'm asking because I've never put mine in there and then I woke up this morning and saw my husband had put it through a wash cycle. I didn't know if that would be an issue or not - anyone know?

Sigg also sells cleanser tablets if you want to get them super clean. They work similarly to an Alka-Seltzer tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoTheTyrant View Post

Do any of their 'sports' bottle tops allow water to flow freely? I haven't picked up a different lid, cause I always remember rigid bottles being pretty hard to get the water out of without a little air hole. Anyone know?

The sport bottle caps require that you press down on the mouthpiece to start the flow of liquid. I have two different ones from Sigg and both are easy to use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page