Trader Joe's Beef-less and Chicken-less Strips - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone try them yet? I bought them both for $2.99 each (I believe). They're vegan, ready in 2 minutes, and pretty darn good. I've only tried the chicken-less kind so far, but I'm sure the beef-less are just as good. They're similar to the Morningstar Farms Meal Staters, but not as rubber-like. Give them a try! I'll post a picture of the boxes soon. They're in the refridgerated section, with the tofu and other meatless items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

sounds interesting...I'll have to check my TJ's and see if they have them.
#3 Old 03-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Hope you like them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw these the other day and was curious about them. I figured they were like the Morningstar Farms meal starters, which I do like. I didn't buy any but maybe I'll pick up a package next time. I can't remember how much the MSF stuff costs but how does the TJs version compare?

On another note, is anyone else upset that the tofu at TJs is now $1.49 per package when it used to be $0.99? That's quite a markup! Is this a sign of the times? :-(
#5 Old 03-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I honestly didn't care for the MF ones, but I like these because they're not rubbery. They were, I believe, $2.99 compared to $5 at my local grocery stores

Yeah, I noticed that prices have been raised. On the eggs too (not for me, for my dog). They went from 99 cents to $1.19 last year and now they're at $1.49. I don't think Trader Joe's would raise their prices unless their own cost went up. At least the tofu is still cheaper than meat
#6 Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had both of them and I thought they were pretty good! I've made tacos with both of them and enchiladas with the chicken ones. DH put it in a salad and liked it.
#7 Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the chickenless and I liked them much better than Morningstar. They were less rubbery and didn't have an aftertaste, like I think Morningstar does.

The tofu at my TJ only went up to $1.29. It's still the cheapest tofu around for me!
#8 Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

TJ is the best place to get most grocery items! (at least out of the ones they carry... they're great)
#9 Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Give peas a chance

The checkout clerk commented that the strips have been selling well.

By itself, I didn't think much of the chicken-less strips. It tasted like seitan, and I'm not a fan of that particular taste.

But it was much better after I added a packet of fajita seasoning and water and cooked that down. I served it in a tortilla with veganaise and tomato, and it tasted great. I'm going to try the other one tomorrow.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#10 Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

We tried them both this week (they were new in our TJ's, too). I think they are OK and they are cheap - cheap enough that they are worth buying rather than making. The biggest trade-off for me is the packaging waste.
#11 Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I am going to look for this! We like the MS farms here........I was actually just writing out my TJ's list! thanks for posting this!
#12 Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried the chicken ones and thought they tasted like hotdogs, and not in a good way. I won't be buying them again. Does anyone notice that these types of strips are always much more tender than the animal equivalent? I'd prefer a firmer texture.
#13 Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I liked the texture of these. They definately need to be added to something, not eaten alone. I added these to stir-fry and liked the combination of flavors. I made a chicken-less strip sandwich too with veganaise and it was yummy The texture is pretty close to real meat.
#14 Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

I tried the chicken ones and thought they tasted like hotdogs, and not in a good way. I won't be buying them again. Does anyone notice that these types of strips are always much more tender than the animal equivalent? I'd prefer a firmer texture.

They're the first I've tried of this sort of thing, but yeah, they are softer.
#15 Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I got some of the beef-less ones last week at TJ's. I'd never been and a friend of mine and I drove an hour to get to one. I just don't know what to do with them since I've not had stuff like this in so long. Plus, I can't make stir-fries... I know, that's bad.

The only thing I think, every single time I see them in my freezer, is that I want to make some kind of "cheese" sauce thing, carmelize some onions, grill some green peppers and put them on a hoagie bun
#16 Old 03-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a funny thread because the Trader Joes strips ARE the same thing as the MSF ones. (Thats how TJ's keeps it's prices low, by having the same manufacturers make a product directly for them instead instead of selling another company's product and having to raise their prices to cover costs.)

I called MSF and asked.
#17 Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

This is a funny thread because the Trader Joes strips ARE the same thing as the MSF ones. (Thats how TJ's keeps it's prices low, by having the same manufacturers make a product directly for them instead instead of selling another company's product and having to raise their prices to cover costs.)

I called MSF and asked.

I wonder if this means it'll be one of those items they discontinue after 6 months of mad popularity....
#18 Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I called MSF and asked.

Are MF products made in Canada? That's where it says the strips are made on the box. I wondered if they were at first, but I thought MF products were made in the US. TJ puts their labels on a lot of products that aren't theirs, including Amy's brand. I think the strips are better when they're not frozen because it's so easy to overcook them when thawing.
#19 Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

According to the people at Kellogs/MSF, they're manufactured several places, both in the US and in Canada. It's interesting because the ones at my Trader Joes (Washington State) are labelled from a plant in California - and Danakscully, you live in California, if I'm remembering, and yet you said yours are from Canada? I see that so often. Makes no sense to have stuff shipped all over the country like that!!
#20 Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I called MSF and asked.

And Silk makes Whole Foods 365 soymilk, too.
#21 Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I called MSF and asked.

Really? I hate those... dang it. Well now I'll have to figure out what to do with them. The MSF one's are sponge-like and kinda stringy and taste weird. So if these are the exact same ones, that sux. But thank you so much for the heads up
#22 Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah they are spongy but I did like the taste.

Not much you can do about the texture but if you aren't crazy about the taste maybe you could smother it in some sort of sauce. Or you could spice them up and have them in tacos or burritos.
#23 Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll probably sauce them up and fry em or something and throw them in a quick lunch meal. I definitely wouldn't ruin tacos or burritos with them lol . What really sux is that I can get the MSF ones for about 1$ less than what I paid for these at TJ's.

But on the upside, I've loooved everything else we got on that shopping trip.
#24 Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously, fry them (just don't over-brown, then they have a funky taste) and they will firm up a lot. Smother in BBQ sauce and they are OK.

Yeah, don't write them off though, I haven't done a side-by-side test, it appears some people here felt they were a little different, and it's entirely possible they changed the formula slightly to manufactur for TJ's, since it may be specifically patented for MSF. Usually when they make a product for another company they might change it ever-so-slightly just to get past around that whole "patented super-secret-recipe" deal....
#25 Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:

I called MSF and asked.

That IS really funny!

I definitely need to buy them from TJ now because I actually enjoy morningstar farm strips and that is a very decent price. I save so much money at TJ, I can't believe how cheap the hummus is there! 1.79 per tub vs the 4.59 I was paying!
#26 Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Seriously, fry them (just don't over-brown, then they have a funky taste) and they will firm up a lot.

+1 on that. The instructions say something like "sautee for 2-3 minutes" but if you spend more time and get a good brown on them, they do get quite firm.
#27 Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

According to the people at Kellogs/MSF, they're manufactured several places, both in the US and in Canada. It's interesting because the ones at my Trader Joes (Washington State) are labelled from a plant in California - and Danakscully, you live in California, if I'm remembering, and yet you said yours are from Canada? I see that so often. Makes no sense to have stuff shipped all over the country like that!!

That's very interesting! Both of my boxes (just checked) are products of Canada. Such a waste of energy to transport them more than they have to. I think companies like to waste energy and money
#28 Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Really? I hate those... dang it. Well now I'll have to figure out what to do with them. The MSF one's are sponge-like and kinda stringy and taste weird. So if these are the exact same ones, that sux. But thank you so much for the heads up

If you already bought them, try them in another recipe. The key is to not overcook them. I didn't like the MF frozen ones because they cooked up bad (probably commonly overcooked since they thaw while being cooked). Try them on a sandwich or in a stir fry (cook the strips seperate since the veggies take longer to cook).
#29 Old 03-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegans Eat View Post

That IS really funny!

I definitely need to buy them from TJ now because I actually enjoy morningstar farm strips and that is a very decent price. I save so much money at TJ, I can't believe how cheap the hummus is there! 1.79 per tub vs the 4.59 I was paying!

OUCH! That is a huge price difference. Trader Joe's does have much better quality food at a cheaper price! Sometimes their cashiers are a little air-headed, but I guess nothing is perfect... (I was told on my last trip that "Most vegetarians are malnurished")
#30 Old 03-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegans Eat View Post

I can't believe how cheap the hummus is there! 1.79 per tub vs the 4.59 I was paying!

Almost 5.00 for a tub of hummus should be illegal. Especially since homemade is a million times cheaper and SO, so much better. Just sayin'...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page