Kosher Gelatin in Dannon, Yoplait, etc. yogurt? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2008, 04:00 PM

I know that kosher gelatin can be made with fish/horse bones/hooves OR agar-agar, but do you know which ones Dannon and/or Yoplait yogurt uses? I really love their yogurts, but I want to avoid gelatin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

typically, when a product says that it contains kosher gelatin, it, in this case, would most likely come from fish, and not agar.
#3 Old 01-25-2008, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

what Libellula says I also wanted to say: agar-agar can be used as a replacement for gelatin/gelatine, but if a label says 'gelatin' or 'gelatine' it is always from animals as far as I know.

#4 Old 01-25-2008, 05:17 AM

There are many kinds of yogurt that contain pectin or some other coagulate rather than gelatin. Try looking at store brands rather than national brands. I usually have more luck with those. Also, fruit on the bottom, plain, or vanilla often are made without gelatin from my experience. Just start looking around and you will definitely find something. Good luck!
#5 Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

It can be hard finding yogurts without gelatin in them, but they do exist (as others above have posted). Another option to consider is the soy yogurts (Silk, Wgole Soy, O'Soy, etc) if you can find them as they don't have gelatin in them.
#6 Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

I e-mailed Dannon a while back and they said they used beef gelatin (not fish like I originally said... I mixed up company responses).

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have organic yogurt that is SO yummy, especially the lemon.
#7 Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I like 'SO delcious' soy yogerts. I haven't tried any dairy yogerts since over 2 years ago in my omni days, So, I really don't know of any non vegan geletin-free yogerts. But if you're not opposed to soy you should give it a try. I really like the cinnamon bun.
#8 Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Nancy's yogurt is gelatin-free. But it's only sold around Oregon I think...
#9 Old 01-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

I've tried soy yogurt before... it was really bad. It was from Trader Joe's. I really could take or leave yogurt, so I wouldn't go out of my way to try a different soy brand.
#10 Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I liked soy yogurt...I've tried different brands but I just can't like them. I miss yogurt. A lot.
#11 Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

If I went vegan, I'd miss cottage cheese. I don't eat it a lot, but sometimes I get cravings and I need a pack with pineapple ASAP.
#12 Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for reminding me...I miss cottage cheese too.
#13 Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

the gelatin free yogurts I've found in my small town are YoCrunch, Stonyfield Farms, and Dannon All Natural. Some Breyers ones are gelatin free as well.
#14 Old 01-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Aww, Karen, I didn't mean to do that

Oh, I forgot to say... some of Dannon's yogurts are gelatin free, but the ones that DO contain gelatin are beef, not fish. I think it was another company that told me it was fish... I just realized it was beef when I read the e-mail they sent. Here's the response I got from them:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting the Dannon Company concerning Gelatin. The gelatin used in our products provides the proper consistency and texture for the blended style yogurts. It is certified K Kosher because it is derived from the pure, inedible collagen of beef hide. If you cannot eat the animal gelatin, I would suggest that you would try one of our traditional yogurts: Plain or Lowfat Flavored, which do not contain any gelatin.

Current Dannon Flavored Yogurt Flavors (6oz)

Vanilla

Lemon

Coffee

Current Dannon Flavored Yogurt Flavors (32 oz)

Vanilla

Current Dannon Plain Yogurts (assorted sizes)

32 oz Lowfat Plain

6 oz Lowfat Plain

32 oz Nonfat Plain

6 oz Nonfat Plain

32 oz Natural Fullfat Plain Yogurt (certain areas only)

Dannon DanActive, DanActive Light, Frusion, Light n' Fit Smoothie, Light n' Fit Carb & Sugar Control Smoothie, Danimals Drinkable and Danimals XL also do not contain any gelatin.

We appreciate your interest in our products and are always available to answer any questions or concerns that you have. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call our toll-free number 1-877-DANNON-US (1-877-326-6668), Monday through Friday, 9 A.M. to 6 P.M. Eastern Time.

#15 Old 01-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

beef gelatin?

i don't get how that would be kosher, you're not supposed to mix meat and milk like that...
#16 Old 01-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I've tried soy yogurt before... it was really bad. It was from Trader Joe's. I really could take or leave yogurt, so I wouldn't go out of my way to try a different soy brand.

Yeah some of them are really bad. The Silk and Whole Soy ones are good, imo. But I also think it's a bit of an aquired taste, like soy milk vs milk.
#17 Old 01-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Yeah some of them are really bad. The Silk and Whole Soy ones are good, imo. But I also think it's a bit of an aquired taste, like soy milk vs milk.

It took me a while to get used to soy milk, but even now I have to combine it with something else like cereal or chocolate. I just finished a Soy Mocha from Starbucks It was GOOD
#18 Old 01-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

beef gelatin?

i don't get how that would be kosher, you're not supposed to mix meat and milk like that...

that's what I was thinking...
#19 Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Someone should email them about it...
#20 Old 01-26-2008, 11:11 PM

i would recommend brown cow yogurt....it is so good.
#21 Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Nice...so I'm all wanting yogurt now and decide to try the soy ones again...so I just bought Stonyfield Farm all natural O'Soy...only to find out their live and active cultures are milk based. What the heck? Can't catch a break. And it is palatable enough that I would eat it.
#22 Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

That's stupid... I hate that! It's misleading...
#23 Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I know!!
#24 Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Lets sue!
#25 Old 01-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

beef gelatin?

http://www.kashrut.com/articles/DryBones/
#26 Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

that's what I was thinking...

Libellula & Cissy, I may be able to help.

Torah does prohibit cooking meat with milk, but does not prohibit eating cooked meat with milk.

That was a hedge to protect us from failing Torah.

So beef products mixed with milk products CAN be kosher, if prepaired right.
#27 Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM

I've been eating Dannon yogurt for the last couple of days, and I just saw the words 'kosher gelatin' on the ingredients list. So, no Dannon or Yoplait. Are there any major brands that don't use gelatin in their products? I would so buy the Soy yogurt, but I don't really like the taste of it. I have a health food store near me that sells Brown Cow- can anyone tell me if that's veg?
#28 Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorahGeek View Post

Libellula & Cissy, I may be able to help.

Torah does prohibit cooking meat with milk, but does not prohibit eating cooked meat with milk.

That was a hedge to protect us from failing Torah.

So beef products mixed with milk products CAN be kosher, if prepaired right.

So this makes me wonder about the Kosher gelatins that are animal free? Like Kojel.
#29 Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

It says they're animal free... It sounds like they're vegetarian. If they didn't say animal free, just kosher, than I wouldnt eat it. I have vegan gel in my pantry, can't remember the name. It's great!
#30 Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

It says they're animal free... It sounds like they're vegetarian. If they didn't say animal free, just kosher, than I wouldnt eat it. I have vegan gel in my pantry, can't remember the name. It's great!

Oh they're definitely vegan*, based on the ingredients - I eat them here from time to time. But since they're based on carageenan, I try to limit how often I have it because I'm not convinced that stuff is entirely safe.

What I was wondering is if animal-based gelatins are ok for a Kosher diet, then why do they make animal free ones? Are some who keep Kosher more strict than others?

*Assuming of course that they're not lying about what's in it, like Emes did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in