Calcium fortified Juices - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I am slowly trying to become vegan and in the process I am trying to weed out my usual shopping cart items.

I've been buying Minute Maid Calcium + Vitamin D orange juice, for a while now. I was reading the ingredients which contain calcium phosphate and calcium lactate. I was wondering how one is to know if these sort of fortified drinks/foods are animal derived?

Theres lots of ingredients out there that not all brands list their origin(plant/animal). I don't have a whole lot of options when it comes to sticking to trusted health foods that don't use animal ingredients, since my area is limited. So, I have to make due with the commercialized brands till we get more than one health food store.

There's just alot of potentially bad ingredients....errr...so frustrating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I am pretty sure anything with plus D is D3 which is not even vegetarian since it comes from fish oil or lanolin (sheep). Check your ingredients here:

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/faqingredients.htm

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#3 Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you know if that applies to multivitamins?

I know you can get D3 from sunexposure, but do we need more than that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

We take a vegan certified multivitamin. It's called Veg-Life Multi One... The only thing it's missing is iron.
#5 Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2880 View Post

We take a vegan certified multivitamin. It's called Veg-Life Multi One... The only thing it's missing is iron.

The multivitamin I am taking is by Naturally Preferred. Most of the ingredients on the back list as a vegetable source, but I don't believe it is totally vegan.

Thanks for mentioning one, I don't like buying ones I have never heard of. Especially those effy ones people on eBay try to sell as total vegan health capsules.
#6 Old 01-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

You need 15 minutes of sun exposure a day. But most places, you can't get vitamin D all year 'round. In the Winter time, it's near impossible. That's why many people in the upper US and the Pacific northwest are deficient in vitamin D.
#7 Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

i never did like drinks fortified with calcium. if you leave it in the fridge too long, it congeals into one big ball of calcium floating in orange juice.
#8 Old 02-05-2008, 01:56 PM

D3 can be vegan/synthetic, supposedly. Tropicana fortifies their juice with D3, and they swear it's suitable for vegans. There are several threads here on the subject. I emailed them back in like 2003 or 2004 and they said it was NOT vegan, but later, another member or two received a different answer.

It also makes a difference as to what country you're in, I think. I know that the calcium sources for American orange juice and Canadian varieties, of the same brand, are often not the same, for example.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

Do you know if that applies to multivitamins?

I drink fortified soy milk. I generally stick to Silk brand, but I've never heard of a non-vegan brand.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page