Favorite tomato sauce? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Beginner

I'm Italian and have to try every possible tomato sauce out there. I have pasta with sauce at least once a week, and that's at my own discretion - if I weren't worried about variety I would eat it every night!!!

I can make my own sauce but I really like trying different store-boughts too.

I just bought a Muir Glenn organic sauce, Cabernet Marinara, from Wegmans (a GREAT STORE if you have one in your area). I've had really good luck with the Muir Glenn organics, they really taste better than other sauces- not sure if it is because of the organic tomatoes or because of the all-natural ingredients. They also have a tomato-and-basil one that was very good.

Wegman's used to have a really good garden vegetable sauce and it was only 30 calories per half-cup! It was unbelievable! But I think they discontinued it and now the closest thing is fire-roasted garden vegetable which doesn't taste quite the same though it is still good.

What are some of your favorites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Beginner

I'm Italian and have to try every possible tomato sauce out there. I have pasta with sauce at least once a week, and that's at my own discretion - if I weren't worried about variety I would eat it every night!!!

I can make my own sauce but I really like trying different store-boughts too.

I just bought a Muir Glenn organic sauce, Cabernet Marinara, from Wegmans (a GREAT STORE if you have one in your area). I've had really good luck with the Muir Glenn organics, they really taste better than other sauces- not sure if it is because of the organic tomatoes or because of the all-natural ingredients. They also have a tomato-and-basil one that was very good.

Wegman's used to have a really good garden vegetable sauce and it was only 30 calories per half-cup! It was unbelievable! But I think they discontinued it and now the closest thing is fire-roasted garden vegetable which doesn't taste quite the same though it is still good.

What are some of your favorites?
#3 Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 AM

I like Bertolli organic tomato sauces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 AM

I like Bertolli organic tomato sauces.
#5 Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I dated an Italian guy for 5 years and after eating his family's traditional homemade sauce for so long I can't understand why anyone would eat jarred sauce. That said, if I'm in a rush and don't have time to make it, I'll buy whatever looks good and add stuff to it.

I like the Bertolli's organic's too and usually add grilled eggplant, or zucchini. I'll add some tomato paste, roasted garlic, and chunks of fresh tomatoes. Occassionally, I'll eat it straight up but that's rare.
#6 Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I dated an Italian guy for 5 years and after eating his family's traditional homemade sauce for so long I can't understand why anyone would eat jarred sauce. That said, if I'm in a rush and don't have time to make it, I'll buy whatever looks good and add stuff to it.

I like the Bertolli's organic's too and usually add grilled eggplant, or zucchini. I'll add some tomato paste, roasted garlic, and chunks of fresh tomatoes. Occassionally, I'll eat it straight up but that's rare.
#7 Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Amy's marinara is so good!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Amy's marinara is so good!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

The problem with homemade sauce is finding edible fresh tomatoes. In the U.S., good tomatoes are few and far between.
#10 Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

The problem with homemade sauce is finding edible fresh tomatoes. In the U.S., good tomatoes are few and far between.
#11 Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I hear that! If I look in the right places I can find good ones during the winter. They are expensive though. I'm actually leaving in a few minutes to go buy some -lol. I gotta have tomatoes
#12 Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I hear that! If I look in the right places I can find good ones during the winter. They are expensive though. I'm actually leaving in a few minutes to go buy some -lol. I gotta have tomatoes
#13 Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Muir Glen's garden vegetable is my absolute favorite-- no competition!
#14 Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Muir Glen's garden vegetable is my absolute favorite-- no competition!
#15 Old 12-24-2007, 07:49 PM

My fav is Classico, I think it's the olive oil and garlic sauce that i like. I've never had a better sauce without adding anything to it
#16 Old 12-24-2007, 07:49 PM

My fav is Classico, I think it's the olive oil and garlic sauce that i like. I've never had a better sauce without adding anything to it
#17 Old 12-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

barilla mushroom and garlic is my usual go-to.
#18 Old 12-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

barilla mushroom and garlic is my usual go-to.
#19 Old 12-28-2007, 08:53 PM

I have tried a lot of jared pasta sauces and I had a phase where i was in love with my own recipe. I ate classico for a long time and liked it, then prego, then amys, muir glenn, trader joes and more. Right now i am eating the traditional prego and O organics marinara, i really like both. By the way Muir Glenn was probably the first tomato sauce i ever put in my mouth and i have always DISLIKED it, the one we would eat was a marinara with whole basil leaves in the sauce and thats probably the worst sauce i have ever had to eat.
#20 Old 12-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Amy's is definately delicious. I don't think that company makes something I don't like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page