Favorite tomato sauce? - VeggieBoards

Favorite tomato sauce?

cojo's Avatar cojo
08:06 AM 12-23-2007
I'm Italian and have to try every possible tomato sauce out there. I have pasta with sauce at least once a week, and that's at my own discretion - if I weren't worried about variety I would eat it every night!!!

I can make my own sauce but I really like trying different store-boughts too.

I just bought a Muir Glenn organic sauce, Cabernet Marinara, from Wegmans (a GREAT STORE if you have one in your area). I've had really good luck with the Muir Glenn organics, they really taste better than other sauces- not sure if it is because of the organic tomatoes or because of the all-natural ingredients. They also have a tomato-and-basil one that was very good.

Wegman's used to have a really good garden vegetable sauce and it was only 30 calories per half-cup! It was unbelievable! But I think they discontinued it and now the closest thing is fire-roasted garden vegetable which doesn't taste quite the same though it is still good.

What are some of your favorites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cojo's Avatar cojo
08:06 AM 12-23-2007
I'm Italian and have to try every possible tomato sauce out there. I have pasta with sauce at least once a week, and that's at my own discretion - if I weren't worried about variety I would eat it every night!!!

I can make my own sauce but I really like trying different store-boughts too.

I just bought a Muir Glenn organic sauce, Cabernet Marinara, from Wegmans (a GREAT STORE if you have one in your area). I've had really good luck with the Muir Glenn organics, they really taste better than other sauces- not sure if it is because of the organic tomatoes or because of the all-natural ingredients. They also have a tomato-and-basil one that was very good.

Wegman's used to have a really good garden vegetable sauce and it was only 30 calories per half-cup! It was unbelievable! But I think they discontinued it and now the closest thing is fire-roasted garden vegetable which doesn't taste quite the same though it is still good.

What are some of your favorites?
GhostUser's Avatar GhostUser
09:34 AM 12-23-2007
I like Bertolli organic tomato sauces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

09:34 AM 12-23-2007
I like Bertolli organic tomato sauces.
Beachbnny's Avatar Beachbnny
10:57 AM 12-23-2007
I dated an Italian guy for 5 years and after eating his family's traditional homemade sauce for so long I can't understand why anyone would eat jarred sauce. That said, if I'm in a rush and don't have time to make it, I'll buy whatever looks good and add stuff to it.

I like the Bertolli's organic's too and usually add grilled eggplant, or zucchini. I'll add some tomato paste, roasted garlic, and chunks of fresh tomatoes. Occassionally, I'll eat it straight up but that's rare.
10:57 AM 12-23-2007
I dated an Italian guy for 5 years and after eating his family's traditional homemade sauce for so long I can't understand why anyone would eat jarred sauce. That said, if I'm in a rush and don't have time to make it, I'll buy whatever looks good and add stuff to it.

I like the Bertolli's organic's too and usually add grilled eggplant, or zucchini. I'll add some tomato paste, roasted garlic, and chunks of fresh tomatoes. Occassionally, I'll eat it straight up but that's rare.
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar *AHIMSA*
11:12 AM 12-23-2007
Amy's marinara is so good!
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar *AHIMSA*
11:12 AM 12-23-2007
Amy's marinara is so good!
11:19 AM 12-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

The problem with homemade sauce is finding edible fresh tomatoes. In the U.S., good tomatoes are few and far between.
11:19 AM 12-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

The problem with homemade sauce is finding edible fresh tomatoes. In the U.S., good tomatoes are few and far between.
11:24 AM 12-23-2007
I hear that! If I look in the right places I can find good ones during the winter. They are expensive though. I'm actually leaving in a few minutes to go buy some -lol. I gotta have tomatoes
11:24 AM 12-23-2007
I hear that! If I look in the right places I can find good ones during the winter. They are expensive though. I'm actually leaving in a few minutes to go buy some -lol. I gotta have tomatoes
cloudcovering's Avatar cloudcovering
12:39 PM 12-23-2007
Muir Glen's garden vegetable is my absolute favorite-- no competition!
cloudcovering's Avatar cloudcovering
12:39 PM 12-23-2007
Muir Glen's garden vegetable is my absolute favorite-- no competition!
TerrapinTurtle's Avatar TerrapinTurtle
07:49 PM 12-24-2007
My fav is Classico, I think it's the olive oil and garlic sauce that i like. I've never had a better sauce without adding anything to it
TerrapinTurtle's Avatar TerrapinTurtle
07:49 PM 12-24-2007
My fav is Classico, I think it's the olive oil and garlic sauce that i like. I've never had a better sauce without adding anything to it
LucidAnne's Avatar LucidAnne
12:25 AM 12-25-2007
barilla mushroom and garlic is my usual go-to.
LucidAnne's Avatar LucidAnne
12:25 AM 12-25-2007
barilla mushroom and garlic is my usual go-to.
alexis123's Avatar alexis123
08:53 PM 12-28-2007
I have tried a lot of jared pasta sauces and I had a phase where i was in love with my own recipe. I ate classico for a long time and liked it, then prego, then amys, muir glenn, trader joes and more. Right now i am eating the traditional prego and O organics marinara, i really like both. By the way Muir Glenn was probably the first tomato sauce i ever put in my mouth and i have always DISLIKED it, the one we would eat was a marinara with whole basil leaves in the sauce and thats probably the worst sauce i have ever had to eat.
Fritemare's Avatar Fritemare
12:49 PM 12-29-2007
Amy's is definately delicious. I don't think that company makes something I don't like.
Reply Up