Veet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

After JCh's post about veet being vegan I emailed veet and asked about animal products and testing. I thought the response would be useful for everyone to see -

Quote:
Thank you for your email regarding Veet.

None of the products in the Veet reange contain any animal ingredients or derivitives. I have included our Animal Testing Policy below for your reference. I hope this information is fo use to you.

Regards

Veet

Animal Testing Policy Reckitt Benckiser will not use animal testing on any of our products, or on any raw materials, unless indicated by national or international regulatory authorities Reckitt Benckiser will actively support the development, validation, use and acceptance of alternative methods that reduce, refine or replace the use of animals in safety evaluation

It will be the Policy of Reckitt Benckiser to:

1. Conduct animal testing only where indicated by legislative or regulatory requirements, where no approved or accepted alternative testing procedure exists, or where no established information exists upon which an adequate determination of hazard can be made.

2. Minimise the use of animals in required safety testing to the greatest extent possible while ensuring that a valid study is conducted.

3. Conduct all required animal testing only in expert, qualified contract testing facilities in a humane and responsible manner, complying with the best-accepted standards and all applicable regulatory requirements for animal welfare.

4. Continually evaluate and appropriately use alternative techniques for hazard evaluation which reduce or eliminate the use of animals, and actively support research in this area.

5. Advocate regulatory acceptance of validated alternative hazard evaluation methods which reduce, refine or replace the use of animal models both directly and through trade associations, professional societies and consumer groups.

6. Utilise applicable existing and scientifically valid data when conducting hazard evaluations and risk assessments.

I hope I'm allowed to post all that, I couldn't really link to my email inbox lol.

Hope it's helpful to vegans in need of hair removal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

so does that mean it is or isnt tested on animals?

I dont get it =(
#3 Old 12-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I know right. I hate when they get so vague. It seems they only test on animals when they have to by law.... I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it means that they don't test when there is information about the ingredient already.

It sounds like they don't but they need a clause there incase they get hold of a new ingredient that will need animal testing before being allowed near the public, it reduces backlash to have it there.

I'm not sure though.
#5 Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I know right. I hate when they get so vague. It seems they only test on animals when they have to by law.... I think

Yeah I think that's what it means. Like when there isn't information available already, which is rare.

At least they don't have any dead in their products and they seem to be pointing in the right direction wrt animal testing.
#6 Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM

basically a runaround, they dont permit animal testing except for when they do, so who knows, i dont have insider details, i dont see where or why they would but that is pretty much goes for everything and animal tests still get conducted, i dont know but i have had it before and it is quite tasty
#7 Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

I think it means that they don't test when there is information about the ingredient already.

It sounds like they don't but they need a clause there incase they get hold of a new ingredient that will need animal testing before being allowed near the public, it reduces backlash to have it there.

I'm not sure though.

OR its because they test all products on animals, and act like they dont but only do it when they *have* to - which is all the time.

It came across to me that way by the way they listed all the ways they made the testing "ok"

hmmmm
#8 Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

OR its because they test all products on animals, and act like they dont but only do it when they *have* to - which is all the time.

It came across to me that way by the way they listed all the ways they made the testing "ok"

hmmmm

Maybe, I didn't think they'd sound as "we disagree with animal testing" if that was the case, I thought they'd just keep away from the subject.
#9 Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

That animal testing policy is pretty industry-standard and could mean whatever they want it to mean.

It's nice to know there's no animal ingredients in any veet stuff though, that's pretty cool.
#10 Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganseason View Post

i dont know but i have had it before and it is quite tasty

Lol. I've never tasted it. Maybe I'll give it a try.
#11 Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Any product that chemically burns through hair isn't something I would ever put on my skin, tested on animals or not.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#12 Old 12-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganseason View Post

i dont know but i have had it before and it is quite tasty

It's great on crackers...

...and the resulting internal burning is better than any laxative you could ever take.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#13 Old 12-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Any product that chemically burns through hair isn't something I would ever put on my skin, tested on animals or not.

I'd have to agree. Used Nair a couple of times when I was younger. . . It smelled horrible, was hard to actually get off your skin, and left me with tiny chemical burns, if I wasn't really careful.

My legs were hairless, but seriously. . . eww.
#14 Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always avoided it because it looked completely unappetizing and overpriced. Their fake chicken is molded into the shape of a chicken for pete's sake.

edit: ahaha I have no reading comprehension skills
#15 Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

You mean "Veat"! The people here are talking about "Veet", hair removal products.

Veat is tasty. If you aren't vegan, I'd say eat the chicken-looking thing. It's tasty!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#16 Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyrianmoon View Post

I'd have to agree. Used Nair a couple of times when I was younger. . . It smelled horrible, was hard to actually get off your skin, and left me with tiny chemical burns, if I wasn't really careful.

My legs were hairless, but seriously. . . eww.

Veet is so much better than Nair, Nair put me off using hair removal creams because of the smell and that it both burned some areas and left other areas hairy.
#17 Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 AM
JCh

Thank you, and sorry for posting in the wrong area!

#18 Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCh View Post

Thank you, and sorry for posting in the wrong area!

You didn't, I just thought that the company response would fit better here
#19 Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 AM

Wow! Vegan? Really? I HATE shaving, and I saw Veet before and just assumed it wasn't vegan. Hmm.....I might have some smooth legs here in the near future.....
#20 Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Has anyone had skin problems with veet before? I've always wanted to try it, but since i've heard really bad things about Nair, I've hesitated. I honestly need something that is safe to underarms and bikini... I hate shaving daily because I feel like it does nothing. I've searched their site and haven't found much about the safety of their products on the bikini area... anyone know about it?
#21 Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Has anyone had skin problems with veet before? I've always wanted to try it, but since i've heard really bad things about Nair, I've hesitated. I honestly need something that is safe to underarms and bikini... I hate shaving daily because I feel like it does nothing. I've searched their site and haven't found much about the safety of their products on the bikini area... anyone know about it?

Here it goes:

You're not supposed to use the debilitory creams on your bikini line for two reasons: One, it's very close to your nether-regions, and should any accidentally get inside, you're in more a miserable few weeks. Two, the skin of the bikini line is thinner, and more sensitive to adverse reactions (burning...etc.)

Personally: I use it there anyway...and to prevent bumps (inevitable no matter what hair-remover you use) I use "Tend Skin" a few times a day until the hair starts to poke back through.

IF you chose to go against the manufacturer(sp?) take my advise: Use some vaseline, or something similar, to coat everything you DON'T was the product to get on. I use veet for an at-home brazillian (all the hair) and the vaseline is the only way to keep the stuff from going into places it shouldn't.

...gravity.

#22 Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenguin View Post

I've always avoided it because it looked completely unappetizing and overpriced. Their fake chicken is molded into the shape of a chicken for pete's sake.

edit: ahaha I have no reading comprehension skills

That cracked me up. I hadn't even heard of "Veat" so I was totally amused by this.

I've never used Veet, but their typical vague response makes me not want to try it. I'm glad they don't have animal products in it, though. That's at least one good thing.
#23 Old 12-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

Here it goes:

You're not supposed to use the debilitory creams on your bikini line for two reasons: One, it's very close to your nether-regions, and should any accidentally get inside, you're in more a miserable few weeks. Two, the skin of the bikini line is thinner, and more sensitive to adverse reactions (burning...etc.)

Personally: I use it there anyway...and to prevent bumps (inevitable no matter what hair-remover you use) I use "Tend Skin" a few times a day until the hair starts to poke back through.

IF you chose to go against the manufacturer(sp?) take my advise: Use some vaseline, or something similar, to coat everything you DON'T was the product to get on. I use veet for an at-home brazillian (all the hair) and the vaseline is the only way to keep the stuff from going into places it shouldn't.

Thank You SO MUCH for your reply. I was in the shower 5 minutes ago wondering if anyone had replied back

And it works for a brazillian? I'd love to get wax, but no way would I intentionally put myself through that pain How long does Veet last (before the hair grows back I mean)?
#24 Old 12-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thank You SO MUCH for your reply. I was in the shower 5 minutes ago wondering if anyone had replied back

And it works for a brazillian? I'd love to get wax, but no way would I intentionally put myself through that pain How long does Veet last (before the hair grows back I mean)?

Remember...you're not supposed to use it that way (but I do anyways, just don't forget to use vasoline on the hairless sensitive parts ).

It only lasts as long as shaving...but without the unholy fires of he** that comes from growing back after a shave (I have not idea why).

Waxing isn't so bad, but if you do, have her do your legs FIRST...even if you don't normally have that waxed. Reason: Waxing your legs will trigger all kinds of nice endorphins and natural pain inhibitors. Nice to have them in full efect before going to THAT area.

The only part that really hurts during a Brazillian is that little folded part at the top of the labia...The hair is super thick and deep there. And, if you are offered any after-care products TAKE THEM!!!!! If you're not offered anything for the healing...use "Tend Skin"

...gravity.

#25 Old 12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

I would never forget a disclaimer like that

I have to shave daily... does the veet last more than a day? (Legs can go about 4 days) It drives me insane to have to shave so much... then if you don't lather enough or something, you have bumps for days that hurt to shave over. It's a lose-lose situation

I'm scared to death to wax... I don't like pain. If I got pregnant, I wouldn't cry about having a baby, I'd cry in fear of the labor and delivery.

Endorphins are nice My friend Brittney likes getting waxed, she said she likes the feeling. I've had my eyebrows threaded a few times and that hurts like a b****, I can't imagine having all of the hairs pulled out at once. I'd have to be sedated Maybe before my wedding I'll do it...

Can Tend Skin be bought at a store or does it have to be ordered online?
#26 Old 12-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I always buy it directly from the woman that does my waxing (when I can afford to have that done) at about $20 a bottle. It seems pricey, but a little goes a long way, and WOW it works (I wouldn't use it on your whole leg, though...just the bikini line, and areas where you're prone to bumps). You can also purchase it online...like amazon.com...

Another option: I've used those electric shavers you can buy from wal-mart, and they seemed to be MUCH easier on my skin than shaving. And, once I got the hang of it, they were very smooth.

(Note: I'm a "newbie vegan in training" and have not researched the ingredients or animal testing history of any of the products I have mentioned in this thread)

...gravity.

#27 Old 12-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I always buy it directly from the woman that does my waxing (when I can afford to have that done) at about $20 a bottle. It seems pricey, but a little goes a long way, and WOW it works (I wouldn't use it on your whole leg, though...just the bikini line, and areas where you're prone to bumps). You can also purchase it online...like amazon.com...

Another option: I've used those electric shavers you can buy from wal-mart, and they seemed to be MUCH easier on my skin than shaving. And, once I got the hang of it, they were very smooth.

(Note: I'm a "newbie vegan in training" and have not researched the ingredients or animal testing history of any of the products I have mentioned in this thread)

...gravity.

#28 Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thank You

Electric shavers are easy on the bikini line? Because I have to shave daily, it makes me think of The Santa Clause (with Tim Allen) where he'd shave and his beard would come back immediately... just like that...

I'm going to check into Tend Skin
#29 Old 12-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't use chemical hair removers. I just obught my last can of gilette satin care shave gel, I want something all-natural for shaving in the future.
#30 Old 12-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I quit shaving a couple months ago. My legs, pits and 'bikini' area are so musc better off. I'm really prone to shave bumps and ingrown hair. The inside of my legs would literally be more scab than leg. I'd wake my ex up scratching. Ick. I'd get.. Cysts I guess? under my arms. Bloody, pus filled icky. My ex noticed all of that. I quit shaving and the only thing he noticed was the 'bikini' area. He said it was better since I wasn't pulling a 'Michael Jackson' and scratching all the time.

I never did like Nair. It always left me smelling like Nair and still hairy. Y'all really use it in your 'nether regions'?

Rebbecca

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page