Follow Your Heart vegan cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone tried Follow Your Heart vegan cheese (the same company that makes the Vegenaise)? It's great. It comes in mozzarella, cheddar, and montery jack. I don't care too much for the cheddar becuase it's a little too sharp for me. I would say the montery jack is my favorite. The good thing is that they melt pretty well. I put it on pizza and it is great!!! Probably one of my favorite meals. It's also great for vegan macaroni and cheese and layered Mexican dip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2007, 06:57 PM

I tried the cheddar and didn't like it at all. I have a pack of the mozza- but somehow it ended up in the freezer (unopened) and I don't know what it will be like now, so I just left it there, lol.

Anyone ever freeze then thaw it? Any good?

**I have to edit to add that all I did with the cheddar was 'grate' it and add it to pasta-- maybe that was part of the problem?
#3 Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I love it! I don't eat it all the time, but I do love it.

My favorite ones are mozzarella and cheddar. It's a bit expensive, though...

There's a local pizza place that uses their mozzarella as the vegan cheese option.

Oh, and the health food store around here used to keep their Vegan Gourmet cheese in the freezer. It's fine if you want crumbled cheese... But if you want to melt it, it's much better unfrozen.

It kind of acts like tofu. When you freeze it, the texture changes and it toughens up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2007, 07:31 PM

Oh- well maybe I would like it better that way anyway. So I just thaw it and use it like normal? Good to know..
#5 Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I still cannot uderstand how people say this stuff melts. I have tried every possible cooking method and it just sits there - inert little shreds of cheese colored materiel.

It doesn't even vaguely taste like any cheese product I ever came across... I've tried every single kind and ended up throwing them all out after using less than 1/4 of the block...

And if you knew how frugal I am, you'd realize how very much I dispise the stuff to throw it out rather than try and use it SOMEHOW.

It must fill a niche for someone, obviously. I'm truely glad people like it. I just cannot imagine how or why they do...
#6 Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I still cannot uderstand how people say this stuff melts. I have tried every possible cooking method and it just sits there - inert little shreds of cheese colored materiel.

It doesn't even vaguely taste like any cheese product I ever came across... I've tried every single kind and ended up throwing them all out after using less than 1/4 of the block...

And if you knew how frugal I am, you'd realize how very much I dispise the stuff to throw it out rather than try and use it SOMEHOW.

It must fill a niche for someone, obviously. I'm truely glad people like it. I just cannot imagine how or why they do...

It works if you cook it at a super high temperature, like almost 500F. And cover it with foil. Then put it under the broiler for the last few minutes, uncovered.
#7 Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 AM

I hate the cheddar flavor, it tastes pukey to me... But the mozzarella is sooo good, especially on sandwiches. The only way I have actually gotten it to melt was in the microwave.
#8 Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

For any of these "cheeses" has any of them managed to produce a blue cheese at all? I have yet to see such a thing and would love to try a Stilton
#9 Old 02-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought Veggie Slices ( galaxy foods).......in pepper jack flavor, i made grilled cheese sandwiches with them and it melted perfect and tasted pretty good too.
#10 Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with TNS. I tried it after hearing the rave reviews about how it melts, and was severely disappointed. Most things I would use cheese for don't involve grilling at 500 degrees. And the taste was bland and tofu-like to me.
#11 Old 02-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentauros View Post

For any of these "cheeses" has any of them managed to produce a blue cheese at all? I have yet to see such a thing and would love to try a Stilton

YES!

http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/sheese.html

I love blue cheese. This one is a bit sharp but it tastes great with crackers
#12 Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I used it in spinach artichoke dip, which was VERY yummy, I've also made mac 'n cheese w/ the cheddar but it just tasted like cheap boxed stuff, I'd rather do the nut. yeast sauce for that sort of thing. I still have half a block in my freezer, I guess I'll just use it next time I need more dip.
#13 Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

YES!

http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/sheese.html

I love blue cheese. This one is a bit sharp but it tastes great with crackers

Thanks!

I had that main site in my bookmarks but I haven't looked up vegan cheeses in a while. I also had the Follow You Heart site and was always curious about it's melting capabilities. I'll have to look into them again locally, though I may see what ordering foods that should be kept cold is like

By the way, the best pizzas are made in wood-fired ovens where the temps get into the 700-800F range. Of course, you can't do that at home (unless you have an outdoor mud oven) but with a baking stone or a kiln shelf you can at least get to the 500F+ range. At those temperatures, a pizza will cook in about 3-5 minutes, crisping the crust while turning the water in the dough to steam and puffing it all up nicely. The ambient oven temperature should melt any cheese with ease

I see that on the Foodfight site, they are "temp out" of everything but Gouda and Cheddar w/ chives. Oil well...
#14 Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 PM

Since everyone said the mozza was better, tonight I got the frozen block of it I had out of my freezer, grated it and put it on a pita pizza..

I cooked the pizza as normal at about 300 till the onions, mushrooms and tomatoes were cooked.. but the cheese didn't melt as nice as I had hoped, so I turned the oven to broil and let it go for a few and I came back to a perfect pizza!

And it was fully vegan-- and still great.

I have pizza... good pizza. whoohoo!!
#15 Old 02-14-2007, 12:55 AM

i've tried the cheddar and mozzarella on nachos and it melted in the microwave pretty well.

But here is something a bit odd - once opened, the mozzarella grew a pink/red blush in my fridge, a little like a crimson mold. i just washed it off and still used the rest of the cheese, and I'm alive to tell the story.

I haven't tried the monterey jack.
#16 Old 02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Clare View Post

Oh- well maybe I would like it better that way anyway. So I just thaw it and use it like normal? Good to know..

Just melt it in a saucepan over a burner. Then pour it onto pizza right before it goes in the oven.
#17 Old 02-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only had the cheddar and mozzarella. I didn't like the cheddar at all, but I love the mozzarella. I could just eat it by itself, but I generally put it on a pizza.

It does melt. I bake my pizza at 350 degrees, then when it is done or nearly done I take the pizza out, turn on the broiler and let that heat up for a minute, then stick the pizza back in for one or two minutes and the cheese melts beautifully.
#18 Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm one of the FYH haters too I guess. <sigh> I am intrigued though, by 'eggplant's idea of melting it first and POURING it over pizza or whatever - that has possibilities...
#19 Old 02-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone who lives in or near seattle, the vegan grocery in the U-District (Sidecar for Pigs' Peace) carries some unusual vegan cheeses (including blue) that I have not seen anywhere else. I didn't buy them because I had not way of keeping them cold on the 1 hour bus ride home but I will try them next time I'm there. I can't remember the name of the brand but they were vacuum packed with a paper label stuck to one edge of the vacuum.
#20 Old 02-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegAnna View Post

Anyone who lives in or near seattle, the vegan grocery in the U-District (Sidecar for Pigs' Peace) carries some unusual vegan cheeses (including blue) that I have not seen anywhere else. I didn't buy them because I had not way of keeping them cold on the 1 hour bus ride home but I will try them next time I'm there. I can't remember the name of the brand but they were vacuum packed with a paper label stuck to one edge of the vacuum.

That is probably Sheese that you saw. They make blue and other unusual flavors.

http://www.scheese.co.uk/
#21 Old 02-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegAnna View Post

As someone else mentioned, those cheeses are Sheese - <link> recently imported from Scotland. They're pretty good! I just discovered them myself!

And a note: vegan cheese can be left out of the fridge forever and not go bad... an hour+ is not going to hurt them in the least (OK, not "forever" but overnight even is fine, my kids have forgotten ours out on the counter after supper many times with no ill effects - there isn't any dairy in it to spoil rapidly.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page