vegan cupcakes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World!

Just got my copy today!

75 mouth watering cupcake recipes to try!!

My first cupcake will be the "Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes" which is a Red Velvet Cupcake!

Ever since I tried Red Velvet Cake in Louisana many years ago, I have been hoping for a Vegan version...Yippee!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations! You'll soon be making more cupcakes than you can eat. .. ha, no you'll still be able to eat all of them because they're so incredible. So far I've made:

Chocolate with peanut butter cream filling and chocolate ganache

Golden vanilla with vanilla butter cream

Pumpkin chocolate chip with cinnamon icing

Maple with sugared walnuts

Gingerbread with lemony icing

Brooklyn Brownie Cuppers

I really want to try the cashew butter cardamom next.
#3 Old 12-17-2006, 09:51 AM

Those cupcakes sound delicious! And they're all vegan friendly?

I've always been told that I if I became a vegan, I'd no longer get any cakes or cupcakes.

Are the recipies all in a book?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Beginner

I've made the pumpkin with chocolate chip and cinnamon icing. My husband and I love them! I haven't tried any of the others in the book yet because he keeps requesting these. But I think the chai latte cuppers are the next ones I'll try.
#5 Old 12-17-2006, 10:00 AM

Does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of this book? I't's making me for dessert!

#6 Old 12-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I got my copy from amazon,

love this book, my hubby and kids LOVE these cupcakes, so far i have only made the golden with chocolate frosting and the chocolate with buttercream frosting,

i am going to try the chocolate with peanut butter and the gingerbread next!
#7 Old 12-17-2006, 10:13 AM

Well, does anyone know of any stores that carry it? I'm two different life-styles, and my family doesn't know that I'm a vegan, which means asking them for a credit card to buy a vegan cook book might throw a kink in my plans.
#8 Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw a copy at barnes and nobels last night (when I got my copy of the author's other book, vegan with a vengence, LOVE IT!).

Also, there are a few cupcake recipes here at the author's website.
#9 Old 12-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I got mine at Borders just the other day. If you have a Borders near you, you can check online to see if it has one in stock. Not sure about any other stores. Maybe check with any natural groceries in your area?

http://www.bordersstores.com/index.jsp

Has anyone made the Crimson Velveteen cupcakes yet? I am planning to make them for Xmas. I hope they taste right.

Ah, someone on Ebay is selling a copy too...(this way you could pay by Paypal or sometimes check or money order if you don't want to use a credit card)
#10 Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes I saw it at barnes and noble too.
#11 Old 12-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginVegan View Post

I've always been told that I if I became a vegan, I'd no longer get any cakes or cupcakes.

Well, you wouldn't be able to eat most cakes and cupcakes made by non-vegans, for sure. But if you make them yourself, theres way too many yummy vegan cake and cupcake recipies out there just waiting to be baked...

Do a Google search.

But MOST IMPORTANT for a vegan newbie -

1.) DO NOT believe everything you're told

and

2.) DO YOUR RESEARCH!! Read, read, read about veganism and vegan foods.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at what you CAN eat.
#12 Old 12-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting my copy sometime in the next week and I can't wait!
#13 Old 12-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Beginner

this thread brings me hope, lol. my friend once told a story about how her aunt made her lactoseintolerant son a birthday cake with no eggs. apparantly it came out flat and the family had to eat it and pretend they liked it.

since hearing that, i've been like, ok i need to give up on cake because without eggs it'll be gross. maybe i'll get to eat cake once again =]
#14 Old 12-17-2006, 05:14 PM

pechie, there are several really good egg-free cake recipes here on VB.

(And why would a lactose intolerant person need a cake with no eggs?)
#15 Old 12-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie View Post

this thread brings me hope, lol. my friend once told a story about how her aunt made her lactoseintolerant son a birthday cake with no eggs. apparantly it came out flat and the family had to eat it and pretend they liked it.

since hearing that, i've been like, ok i need to give up on cake because without eggs it'll be gross. maybe i'll get to eat cake once again =]

I have had many awesome tasting vegan cakes, cupcakes and even donuts (just got some from Vegan Essentials - couldn't believe how good they were!), I can't believe how good some of them are. If they aren't done right, yeah, they can really suck ..but if done right they can taste better than the non-vegan ones.

On a recent trip to California, I ate at Herbivore restaurant in San Fran and I got the most amazing Vegan Chocolate Cupcake. It tasted exactly like those Hostess ones with the white curly-ques on top that I used to eat when I was a kid (no white in the middle though). Dang, it was good.
#16 Old 12-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine made the chocolate orange and a chocolate with fluffy

vanilla frosting. They were absoultely delicious. Best cupcakes I've ever had!

She bought her copy at Barnes and Noble.

Peachie, you can use egg replacer; I promise you won't be able to tell

the difference.
#17 Old 12-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I just made my Red Velvet Cupcakes following the recipe in the book. They didn't turn out red at all. Basically they look and taste like chocolate cupcakes not like Red Velvet cupcakes.

I think next time I will add alot more red food coloring than it calls for. Or try a different recipe for vegan red velvet cake.
#18 Old 12-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

The peanut buttercream frosting recipe in this book is one of my favorite things in the world.
#19 Old 12-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

The peanut buttercream frosting recipe in this book is one of my favorite things in the world.

Hmmm. that one sounds good! This was my first try at the recipes. I want to make more kinds.

Well, I just finished frosting all my "Un-Red" Velvet Cupcakes. The cupcakes still taste good - there just not Red Velvet-y. I used the Vegan Buttercream Frosting on pg 142 instead of the Old Fashioned Icing one. The frosting is very yummy! I tried not to lick the whole bowl!

In order to make up for my disappointment of my cupcakes not being red enough, I decorated with maraschino cherries, a piece of vegan candy cane and organic chocolate sprinkles on each cupcake. They look more festive now.

[attachment=5016:cupcakes.jpg]
LL
#20 Old 12-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome! Nice job!
#21 Old 12-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Awesome! Nice job!

Thanks!

I hope they all get eaten tonight - I ate too much batter and frosting yesterday!
#22 Old 12-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginVegan View Post

Those cupcakes sound delicious! And they're all vegan friendly?

Are the recipies all in a book?

Yup... It's called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World"
#23 Old 12-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie View Post

I second a question asked by OrganGirl. Cakes with milk are an exception to the rule. (Eggs are not dairy.)
#24 Old 12-25-2006, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm.... my daughter made the Red Velvet cupcakes from "Vegan Cupcakes..." and they were quite frighteningly red... red, red, red! And so very good!

(Thanks Froggy for the book - it was an awesome and thoughtful birthday present for my 'lil Sprout. She's made three recipes already! How many cupcakes does this family need?)
#25 Old 12-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Hmmm.... my daughter made the Red Velvet cupcakes from "Vegan Cupcakes..." and they were quite frighteningly red... red, red, red! And so very good!

(Thanks Froggy for the book - it was an awesome and thoughtful birthday present for my 'lil Sprout. She's made three recipes already! How many cupcakes does this family need?)

Hmm. Maybe it was the food coloring I used. Which brand it your daughter use? Mine were very brown and chocolate looking because of the cocoa powder.

Although, everyone still loved the cupcakes - I have only seven left and they are reserved for people already!
#26 Old 12-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

We used a cake-decorating red concentrate that is way "red-er" than the liquid store-bought stuff. But we didn't use that much of it, perhaps the cocoa was the "extra dark" stuff? I know when I use the "extra dark" everything bakes up almost black (though still quite tasty). Hmmm... do't really know except I agree, they are good, regardless of the color!
#27 Old 12-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering if buying the vegan cupcake book is worth the money....?
#28 Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

/bumpy

Just a little update on QueenFluffs cupcake making journey using the Take Over the World Recipes:

I made the Maple Cupcakes today (but no sugared walnuts -looke like too much work - I don't really like nuts in my cupcakes) with the Creamy Maple Frosting.

I haven't tasted them yet since I only made 12 instead of 24 and they are for a veggie potluck tonight.

I did notice that the Creamy Maple Frosting was runny - I kept adding more powdered soy milk like the recipe said but it still was runny. I frosted my cupcakes anyway and put them in the fridge so it will hardened.

I have a lot of frosting left and I left it out for a while and it got a LOT thicker after letting it sit out for about a half an hour.

So, just mentioning that to anyone who make this frosting - let it sit out and it will be a little more controllable to frost your cupcakes with.

Now, to plan my next cupcake.....
#29 Old 01-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I am such a slacker....I swore that I would make cupcakes last week and I never did! Me bad....Ooooo....I have a facial party to go to Tuesday night! Maybe that will give me an incentive to get baking!
#30 Old 01-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

A co-worker bought this book for me. I still haven't read through an entire recipe. I know some parts of the book act like you have to have all of the specialty baking products, like frosting bags, an oven thermometer, etc.. or they don't guarantee they will come out right.

Did you all have to buy extra stuff to make these cupcakes? I want to be able to just use mixing bowl, maybe an electric mixer, cupcake pans, the paper liners and my electric oven. Yes, no, maybe so?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page